October 15, 2019, 05:40:10 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 125576 times)

September 19, 2018, 10:40:37 PM
Read 125576 times

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
Don’t think I have seen or heard of anyone anywhere suggesting Silva will not see the season out.

Hardly beyond the realms of possibility, given his track record.

November 04, 2018, 10:29:08 PM
Reply #1

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
Now that we’ve had a chance to see what Silva is about, it’s mad to think that, having failed to get him last year, Moshiri’s backup plan was Allardyce.

November 05, 2018, 12:30:45 AM
Reply #2

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
Wasn’t back up as in like for like.

He wanted Silva but having not been able to get him, he went for guaranteed safety while he waited for him.

You reckon it was always a short term hire?

Didn’t feel like that at the time. I guess we’ll never know.

November 25, 2018, 09:04:19 PM
Reply #3

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
Lookman is explosive and exciting, but in terms of his contribution to the team across 90 minutes - in areas like passing, tracking back, covering the RB etc - it wouldn't surprise me if Silva isn't seeing enough in training to warrant starting him vs have him cause all sorts of problems as a super-sub off the bench as needed.

Bit of a similar situation to Deulofeu - for me he was usually best for us when coming off the bench.

January 03, 2019, 02:32:22 AM
Reply #4

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
Barkley?

Fucking hell.

Criticised in the press by yet another one of his managers just two days ago.

January 03, 2019, 02:34:17 AM
Reply #5

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
It’s pretty much all been a low point other than an odd game here and there.

Do you sometimes look at yourself in the mirror and wonder if maybe you're everything that's wrong with modern day fans?

January 03, 2019, 02:35:59 AM
Reply #6

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
He'd be ok if he would just come home..

No doubt. He's a big fan of playing at Goodison as I recall.

January 25, 2019, 12:26:21 AM
Reply #7

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
Formations shmormations.

January 30, 2019, 07:18:35 PM
Reply #8

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
We were 6th prior to the derby and the teams around us aren’t that great.

Think it shows that Silva is doing ok on the whole.

Based on PPG, we’re on course for 52 points this season. Pre Huddersfield it was 48.

Koemans first season was 62 (and 7th).

Obviously 7th is 7th if we get it, but in terms of number of PPG, the games we’re actually winning/drawing, so far on current form this season is more similar to the last two Martinez seasons (47) and last season (49).

February 08, 2019, 06:37:48 PM
Reply #9

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
Dear stats people,

We all know we're conceding more from set pieces this season. But are we (a) giving away more set pieces, (b) conceding a higher percentage of the set pieces we give away, or (c) both?

Regards,
Ell Capitan

February 23, 2019, 06:28:30 PM
Reply #10

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
I still don't understand why we have agreed to pay Watford anything.

We made a perfectly legitimate approach to Watford via the correct channels, they refused to engage so that was that. They subsequently sacked Silva making him a free agent.

Don't see what we have done wrong to necessitate a payment to them for alleged 'tapping up' when we approached Watford correctly

Well I guess the fact we've agreed to pay £4m compensation suggests it wasn't perfectly legitimate.

February 24, 2019, 05:36:56 PM
Reply #11

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
If what is in the public domain is how it actually happened then it was perfectly legitimate.

If something happened which isn't in the public domain then Watford should have applied pressure on the PL to intervene.

Like Gash said 'storm in a teacup'

I don’t really understand what you’re trying to say.

Obviously it wasn’t perfectly legitimate. We’ve done something wrong. We wouldn’t be handing over £4m otherwise.

Whether Watford’s want to go through the PL to obtain compensation, settle the matter through direct negotiations with us, or a combination of the two is a commercial matter for them to decide. You’ve no real idea what they “should” have done.

April 28, 2019, 02:06:27 AM
Reply #12

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
I just think when you’re playing a team that are organised and effectively parking the bus for 90 minutes hoping to catch you on the break, it’s not that easy to pass the ball through the middle of the park into the net.

Sometimes you’ve just gotta get the ball at the feet of your wingers, buy a yard and pump a difficult ball in there.

If we still had Lukaku on the end of things we’d have pumped Palace today.