September 23, 2019, 05:45:46 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 107258 times)

September 19, 2018, 11:08:27 PM
Read 107258 times

D15TIN

I think he’s just guilty of being a little naive so far. He’s tried to play the way he’d like to (and the way Evertonians like to see us play) and he’s been caught out trying to do it mainly with players who can’t deliver it.

I think he needs to play the cards he’s been dealt a little more and wait until he gets a full set before going ahead with what I presume is his preferred plan.
This is what ive thought so far

November 28, 2018, 10:52:46 PM
Reply #1

D15TIN

https://statsbomb.com/2018/11/idrissa-gueye-powers-evertons-surprising-defense/

Very interesting piece, Gueye’s incredible ball winning is powering us at the moment and allowing silva’s ‘everyone up’ ethos to work better than it has elsewhere in the prem.

Interesting that we’re 11th for expected goals per game, and 11th for passes, but we are managing to make a lot of shots despite the fact we don’t really have a serious striker.

In general the article portraits an interesting picture that doesn’t really match the current feeling. We are pretty good at the moment and we deserve to be where we are, and silva has found a way to make it work that relies on one super-powered Kante-like midfielder charging about winning the ball whenever he goes anywhere near it - but up top we are taking quite a few shite shots until we squeak one in.

An injury to gueye, or a dip in finishing, and we may well struggle however.
He's essential to how we play definitely

We probably need 2/3 signings in Jan to maintain our position/better it, as you say 1 injury to gana.. or Sigurdsson or gomes would have a big effect on how we play

April 11, 2019, 03:17:14 PM
Reply #2

D15TIN

Brands at United v Barca last night

April 26, 2019, 11:04:16 PM
Reply #3

D15TIN

Big test tomorrow, go there and win - put right that Fulham result

September 17, 2019, 08:55:21 PM
Reply #4

D15TIN

i dont expect miracles, i just want the nightmare to end
what?

September 17, 2019, 08:57:54 PM
Reply #5

D15TIN

Some crap posted on here, sacking Silva gets us absolutely nowhere - we have to correct the defence, especially away from home, become hard to beat again. It isn't as bad as some on here are making out.

I would say he was let down a little by no CB, and probably a full back and striker short - the squad is incomplete

September 17, 2019, 10:13:13 PM
Reply #6

D15TIN

One of the biggest things about Silva aswell is he has the players full support, theyre getting away with it imo - I think we could do with playing a deeper line for now until Jan especially away from home, Mina & Keane havnt got the pace and it's been a little bit of a problem this season - Zouma & Keane were a great pairing

Get another CB in in Jan, possibly an experienced striker aswell

September 17, 2019, 10:16:16 PM
Reply #7

D15TIN

Mina reminds me a lot of Yobo the more I watch him, has all the tools to be a top CB, but has that error in him - I did say at the start of the season though this would be his year, and he needs to be given 10-15 starts in a row to make a decision on him, so we'll see how he gets on

September 18, 2019, 12:16:09 AM
Reply #8

D15TIN

Does anyone still actually rate silva? Would anyone be in favour of his appointment now had he done the work he’s done here elsewhere? Got relegated with hull sacked at Watford and now this. The debate seems to be about if we can afford to sack another manager rather than anyone arguing he’s done good work here or even that they are convinced he will
I rate him

September 18, 2019, 12:25:31 AM
Reply #9

D15TIN

Something something inept. Something something dogshit.
March - May we looked a top side, weve lost an important part of our team in Gana, CB hasn't be addressed by the DOF and a couple of other positions look light aswell. The players have to take some responsibility from the results away from home, I don't think the selections have been incorrect, im seeing a few individual mistakes, were creating chances but not scoring enough of them, some or most of this is down to the players imo, they rely heavily on goodison.

Weve just come back off a recent run of 10 clean sheets in 13 games, weve not lost at goodison since February 6th.

I thought the whole point of Silva, being a young manager with potential was to give him the time to do it? Klopp started slowly at Liverpool, pochettino wasn't immediate success I don't think either

September 18, 2019, 12:30:19 AM
Reply #10

D15TIN

The players like him & want him there, so it would make no sense to bin him off and end up with Javi Garcia or someone equally shit (no one will touch this job if we sack another)

we could win our next 2 and be back in the top 6 (and so he's doing his job), plenty of other good sides started slowly aswell.

September 18, 2019, 12:55:30 AM
Reply #11

D15TIN

I have no opinion on him as it’s been neither good or bad.

If we’re still in this state of flux around Christmas time I’ll come to the conclusion he’s not the man to take us forward. A lot can change during that time though.
Exactly, we could literally be in a good position in 2 games time, if the home form remains strong, we stay in the cup, and the away form improves were looking good.