October 24, 2019, 09:35:30 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 129579 times)

December 13, 2018, 12:19:56 AM
Reply #660

kramer0

Going to have to do it eventually, he is 29 like.

Kind of a mad thing to be saying about a player who's only in the second year of his contract but here we are.

One of many reasons not to sign an expensive 28 year old.

December 13, 2018, 02:03:43 AM
Reply #661

Dr. Sponge

December 13, 2018, 09:00:12 AM
Reply #662

eyesalwaysblue

Another CM who is open to taking the ball in his place would be good, and reduce the pressure on Gomes to be everyone to everything, but we would lose goals out the side.
Very true that... Gomes ended up under a lot of pressure the other night because of it, made him a lot less effective than he has been recently.
I still despise Clive Thomas..

December 13, 2018, 01:35:40 PM
Reply #663

howard1334

Good article!

https://stopbunching.blogspot.com/2018/12/when-is-midfielder-not-midfielder.html

General point is probably valid; I have always considered Sig to be playing, effectively, as a second striker.  But I think it is a disservice to claim he is just another Josh King or Ayoze Perez.  First, Sigs strike rate has been consistently better over longer stretches of time. Second, there are few if any better strikers of the ball outside the box in the Prem.  Third, Sig does have his set piece ability, which is a real benefit, and you can't just pretend that it does not exist when making comparisons.  And, fourth, his work rate is better than others; even the article acknowledges that he defends like a midfielder, and is different than his peers in that regard.

December 13, 2018, 02:06:56 PM
Reply #664

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Quit hatin on Sig and Gomes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

‘I’m guessing you’ve never played CM DoF before’
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

December 13, 2018, 04:22:53 PM
Reply #665

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
General point is probably valid; I have always considered Sig to be playing, effectively, as a second striker.  But I think it is a disservice to claim he is just another Josh King or Ayoze Perez.  First, Sigs strike rate has been consistently better over longer stretches of time. Second, there are few if any better strikers of the ball outside the box in the Prem.  Third, Sig does have his set piece ability, which is a real benefit, and you can't just pretend that it does not exist when making comparisons.  And, fourth, his work rate is better than others; even the article acknowledges that he defends like a midfielder, and is different than his peers in that regard.

Yeah I think the most important thing about the article is like stylistically speaking it means we’re currently playing a 2 man midfield.

Yerry Mina and Micheal Keane both help, and Digne has been aroaring success, but the midfield is too easy to bypass now everyone knows what Gomes is about.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

December 14, 2018, 12:34:05 AM
Reply #666

Dr. Sponge

"I'm guessing you've never played CM DoF before'

Touché

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

December 15, 2018, 05:19:17 AM
Reply #667

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

December 15, 2018, 07:03:09 AM
Reply #668

Shogun

Administrator
https://toffeeanalysis.wordpress.com/2018/12/14/why-richarlison-has-to-play-on-the-left/

Good article!

Actually agree but the issue is that Tosun doesn’t fit into the system and offers nothing as a result whilst DCL hasn’t been able to take his chance which was probably against Arsenal when he spurned those chances. Niasse is just a bit shite despite his knack.

I’d like to see DCL up front and Richarlison on the left but can see why Marco is persisting with Richarlison considering he’s still getting goals and Walcott and Bernard are more likely to produce something than the actual strikers at the club.

December 15, 2018, 12:20:46 PM
Reply #669

Lazarou

Not a fan of Richarlison through the middle, gets bullied far too often which then leads to him usually being on his arse rolling around. We can never build up play into the final third through him and although he has got goals (he could probably play anywhere and get a goal) it has been to the detriment to the rest of our play.

Unfortunately we don't appear to have a alternative that Silva likes, although DCL has always done well holding up the play and did well against City last year through the middle.
"I'm not worrying, I'm not worrying, well I am worrying, I am worrying, I am worrying." Guy Martin

December 15, 2018, 03:41:09 PM
Reply #670

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
DCL has done ok holding the ball up where there’s space.

Yet to show he’s a consistent foil if the opposition are sat deep and the build up is more static.

Vs city there’ll be space but in games like the last two at home he’s not shown yet to be an obvious pick.

December 15, 2018, 06:12:50 PM
Reply #671

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
DCL has done ok holding the ball up where there’s space.

Yet to show he’s a consistent foil if the opposition are sat deep and the build up is more static.

Vs city there’ll be space but in games like the last two at home he’s not shown yet to be an obvious pick.

He’s not really had the chance I wouldn’t say. Done OK when coming on but can’t remember him having 60-70mins vs two grocks like richarlison has had.

Might not work, it might well be the case that silva has had a look and thought nah, which would would be a bit of a worry for Dom’s long terms prospects.

December 15, 2018, 09:03:41 PM
Reply #672

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Interesting to see he went with a turtle neck today.

Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

December 15, 2018, 09:13:25 PM
Reply #673

TheTone

Interesting to see he went with a turtle neck today.

Thought it worked well, I've given it motm

December 15, 2018, 10:58:13 PM
Reply #674

duncandisorderly

Still positive overall from Silva, its a work in progress and we've been in every game we've played this season I can think of, he can't do much about those missed chances. Would like him at times to be a bit quicker changing things that seem obvious to us like maybe a rest for Coleman and Siggurdsson.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk