September 23, 2019, 02:07:55 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 107019 times)

WeimaranerBlues, Bluenose 91, eyesalwaysblue and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

January 30, 2019, 07:39:07 PM
Reply #30

kramer0

It's kind of impressive that Martinez only managed 47 points with Lukaku those last two seasons.

All Koeman had to do to get 61 points was play lots of long balls to Lukaku and shut down the midfield.

February 07, 2019, 10:01:22 PM
Reply #31

kramer0

I'm here for all of the Davies love.

I'll throw in a mention for the good work he does closing down the opposition and scrapping for 50/50 balls, as well.

February 09, 2019, 01:43:15 AM
Reply #32

kramer0

Or he might not end up being spectacular at any one thing.

There's nothing wrong with a midfielder who involves himself in matches and does everything at a decent level.

For a midfield that is basically devoid of well-rounded players, we need Tom Davies. He should be picking up every minute he's fit enough for from now until the end of the season.

February 13, 2019, 07:56:06 PM
Reply #33

kramer0

In terms of passes, Sigurdsson is involved in substantially less than Eriksen. He averages just 27.12 passes per 90 minutes with a success rate of 74.7%. Eriksen, however, averages 53.92 passes per 90 minutes with a success rate of 83.1%.

This is the issue in a nutshell. Spurs are a better side so you'd expect Eriksen to play more passes. But not twice as many.

Our attacking woes aren't purely down to a lack of dangerous players. We haven't been able to get our wingers and forwards on the ball in promising positions often enough because of the midfield. A "creative" midfielder who plays 27 passes per 90 is death for good build-ups.

February 13, 2019, 11:26:42 PM
Reply #34

kramer0

I get the point you are making but I think its a similar situation to what we had with Lukaku when people slagging him off for what he didn't do....until he left and we couldn't replace him then everyone cried.

Nah. For all of his flaws, Lukaku was an attack unto himself. He propped up some terrible attacking game plans in his time here because you could just lump the ball into the channels or into the box for him and there was a chance he'd make something of it.

Sigurdsson doesn't offer anything like that safety net. If someone else doesn't tee him up with a chance to shoot, cross, or play a through ball, he's not offering much of anything. That's why I disagree when people compare him to Cahill. Yeah, Cahill was a goal-scoring attacking midfielder who didn't provide much on the ball but boiling him down to that conveniently ignores all the scrapping he did to win us the ball in the final third.

If Sigurdsson was winning us the ball high up the pitch on top of the goals and assists, or offering something during build-ups on top of the goals and assists, we'd be a much better side and not even debating this.

We also can't blame one player for shape and team personnel issues.

Sure, you can. The midfield looks entirely different with Davies in the team, giving the other midfielders another option off the ball.

March 12, 2019, 08:19:26 PM
Reply #35

kramer0

Brands letting us know that we won't spending massive money on a striker:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/everton-unlikely-sign-huge-striker-15956843

Sensible.

Nice to know that the club is behind our young forwards.

It'll be interesting to see how we deal with our young midfielders too. Davies, Vlasic, and Dowell are all worth investing minutes in.

August 24, 2019, 08:45:03 PM
Reply #36

kramer0

Expensive Moyes-ball.

September 18, 2019, 02:52:16 AM
Reply #37

kramer0

He has awful taste in midfielders.

Hundreds of millions spent on players and we're basically trying to enter the box like a Moyes team (left winger tucking in, then supplying the fullback with a chance to cross).

September 21, 2019, 11:02:54 PM
Reply #38

kramer0

Think tosun for Bernard lost me.

Outrageous decision.

September 21, 2019, 11:06:29 PM
Reply #39

kramer0

Never seen a manager neglect the midfield so much.

Thought we were getting a midfield revamp, but you could have xavi in that midfield and it wouldnt make a difference.

It’s all out wide, crosses into the box and nothing else.

I still think we'd be a solid side with another body in there.

Kind of mad how he keeps rolling out the two DMs and Sigurdsson every week.