August 25, 2019, 09:34:34 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 95321 times)

December 24, 2018, 12:20:57 AM
Reply #705

Bluedylan

Just got to swallow it sometimes. Not sure what else to think or say.

Don’t let it ruin your Christmas, lads and lasses.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

December 24, 2018, 12:21:52 AM
Reply #706

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
Just got to swallow it sometimes. Not sure what else to think or say.

Don’t let it ruin your Christmas, lads and lasses.

:( so difficult though isnt it. Wish i wasnt so invested in the game!
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos lá Everton!

December 24, 2018, 12:27:34 AM
Reply #707

Bluedylan

:( so difficult though isnt it. Wish i wasnt so invested in the game!

Yep, it’s hard. We’re a tragic club and we suffer a lot in quite cruel ways (or it feels like that).

My advice would just be to take a step back and, hard as it might be, try to find some perspective and think about other things.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

December 24, 2018, 12:31:43 AM
Reply #708

Polledreng

NSNO Subscriber
Yep, it’s hard. We’re a tragic club and we suffer a lot in quite cruel ways (or it feels like that).

My advice would just be to take a step back and, hard as it might be, try to find some perspective and think about other things.
its x-mas in Denmark tomorrow and my birthday..... not working....would swop that for a win  ;).

December 24, 2018, 12:32:24 AM
Reply #709

KoemansNumberTens

I think our problem is we’ve no highs or lows. We could do another 20 or 30 years and never be in a relegation battle or the top 4. It’s all a bit dull. The odd season we do look on the verge of achieving something (the 4th under moyes and the 5th under Martinez) we quickly throw it all away

December 24, 2018, 12:34:33 AM
Reply #710

eyesalwaysblue

Poor today from Silva. Needed to set up how we have played against all the better sides, back 4 deeper and hit them on the counter which we've actually looked half decent at. Instead he went full Martinez, which you can't afford to do with the lack of midfield and pace of our back 4. Also worried about his inability to change and affect things during the match, the subs were just thrown on in hope of changing things.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

He does look a very fuckin confused bunny when things aren't panning out..
I still despise Clive Thomas..

December 24, 2018, 12:44:25 AM
Reply #711

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I think our problem is we’ve no highs or lows. We could do another 20 or 30 years and never be in a relegation battle or the top 4. It’s all a bit dull. The odd season we do look on the verge of achieving something (the 4th under moyes and the 5th under Martinez) we quickly throw it all away

I’d rather not have the relegation battles to be fair.

But yes, because we’re 7ish every year we’re not good enough to get this kind of result vs anyone. 

But equally the better teams know we’re good therefore don’t fall asleep when they play us.

December 24, 2018, 12:52:22 AM
Reply #712

Bluedylan

It doesn't feel dull to me. It feels torturous. Always just on the cusp of something genuinely good, but then we conspire to mess it up, or something deeply cruel happens to us. I do genuinely think we've become quite a tragic club (the literary meaning of tragic, not the 'Everton are magic, Liverpool are tragic' sense). Doomed to suffer.

December 24, 2018, 12:59:29 AM
Reply #713

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
It doesn't feel dull to me. It feels torturous. Always just on the cusp of something genuinely good, but then we conspire to mess it up, or something deeply cruel happens to us. I do genuinely think we've become quite a tragic club (the literary meaning of tragic, not the 'Everton are magic, Liverpool are tragic' sense). Doomed to suffer.

We’ve retained a sense of superiority (see silent matches vs dross when we’re winning) while also being massively pessimistic (see atmosphere vs decent teams as soon as it goes wrong).

I like keeping up standards etc but we’ve not remodelled them on reality.

December 24, 2018, 01:04:27 AM
Reply #714

Bluedylan

We’ve retained a sense of superiority (see silent matches vs dross when we’re winning) while also being massively pessimistic (see atmosphere vs decent teams as soon as it goes wrong).

I like keeping up standards etc but we’ve not remodelled them on reality.

What can we do about that though, as you suggested above?

We're in an almost unique position in English football. We've remained just on the edge of the big time for 20 years or so, but still on the outside looking in. We feel that sense of entitlement and expectation, and dads have passed that down to sons.

And simultaneously, we've never been truly humbled like a lot of other big sides have by being relegated or having some massive decline, where we've had to reset our expectations and get with reality.

December 24, 2018, 01:07:12 AM
Reply #715

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
What can we do about that though, as you suggested above?

We're in an almost unique position in English football. We've remained just on the edge of the big time for 20 years or so, but still on the outside looking in. We feel that sense of entitlement and expectation, and dads have passed that down to sons.

And simultaneously, we've never been truly humbled like a lot of other big sides have by being relegated or having some massive decline, where we've had to reset our expectations and get with reality.

Genuinely don’t know.

I’m having another drink. Admittedly won’t make a difference but there you go...

December 24, 2018, 01:07:56 AM
Reply #716

hannu

feels like we are never going to improve

seems we will never be able to get the players we need to push on

before december we was 6th and looking like we could play abit, this month has fucked us up in the transfer window, we need a striker but after this month i think the sort of strikers we could hope to attract will have gotten worse as we now look a million miles away from challenging the top 6,

if we could have just performed abit better we would have looked much more attractive to potential signings

December 24, 2018, 01:07:59 AM
Reply #717

Bluedylan

Genuinely don’t know.

I’m having another drink. Admittedly won’t make a difference but there you go...

Good idea. I'll do the same.

December 24, 2018, 01:09:38 AM
Reply #718

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
feels like we are never going to improve

seems we will never be able to get the players we need to push on

before december we was 6th and looking like we could play abit, this month has fucked us up in the transfer window, we need a striker but after this month i think the sort of strikers we could hope to attract will have gotten worse as we now look a million miles away from challenging the top 6,

if we could have just performed abit better we would have looked much more attractive to potential signings

Professionals shouldn’t be making career decisions on the past month.

December 24, 2018, 01:10:43 AM
Reply #719

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
Genuinely don’t know.

Good idea. I'll do the same.

Im off to bargain booze.... *cheers*
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos lá Everton!