September 20, 2019, 09:01:09 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 104173 times)

March 04, 2019, 08:25:36 PM
Reply #90

Bluedylan

That 17 days off probably helped a fair bit, in terms of giving time to coach and drill it.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

March 12, 2019, 03:16:39 PM
Reply #91

Bluedylan

''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

May 04, 2019, 05:59:04 PM
Reply #92

Bluedylan

The doubters have gone awfully quiet. Can hear a pin drop.

May 05, 2019, 05:33:37 PM
Reply #93

Bluedylan

Aren't we putting it down to a combination of 2 things - 1) the 17 days off, which enabled sustained, intense training and presumably repetition and practice, and 2) it takes time to communicate and learn detailed tactical approaches. As has been said before, Klopp finished 8th in his first season. It didn't just work instantly.

May 06, 2019, 01:56:06 AM
Reply #94

Bluedylan

The season as a whole was shite. Not enough points. Not 7th. No cup runs. Went out to shite teams

The hope comes from the last 10 or so games though. We’ve played well and we’ve beaten some of the big boys (all be in when they’ve all been a bit shite themselves)

It’s hard not to be optimistic for next season.

The season as a whole wasn't shite. Why is everything so black and white with you? 8th, playing much better football, ending the season as one of the best teams defensively, and beating a number of the Top 6 handsomely is not a shite season.

Maybe you're just not very good at expressing yourself, I don't know.

May 10, 2019, 03:12:43 AM
Reply #95

Bluedylan

We used to give people time in society to do jobs.

June 16, 2019, 02:58:14 AM
Reply #96

Bluedylan

https://twitter.com/TiagoEstv/status/1139921290096185344?s=19

Good insight on his tactics in this interview translated from Portuguese. Imagine getting this insight in English media, especially of Everton.

He also says in the next tweet...

''Silva also confirmed the club is trying to sign Zouma and André Gomes on permanent deals. He seems to really like Gomes' commitment in practice, ''tactical understanding'' and ability to play different midfield roles. To each their own, I suppose''

August 26, 2019, 06:11:55 PM
Reply #97

Bluedylan

I get the need to hyper-analyse, and I know people have concerns, but I still think it's OTT. We play well and beat Lincoln and Wolves this week, and all of this stuff goes out of the window, until the next defeat and mass existential crisis.

September 01, 2019, 10:32:18 PM
Reply #98

Bluedylan

Some positives and negatives (from my perspective) so far -

Good
- Excellent home record developing. Good way to build a season, take pressure off the manager and the team and keep the ST holders sweet is to keep that record going.
- New players contributing in various positive ways.
- Feels like we have a lot more options in the attacking part of the pitch to impact games.
- 7 goals in a few days answers some of the issues that people had with goals/chance creation.
- Excellent mentality in terms of bouncing back from a couple of setbacks quickly (same with Lincoln in midweek(

Bad
- Still too insistent on overloading in wide areas (for me).
- Too slow with substitutions at times, when it feels obvious that a change or two is necessary.
- Team is still a bit reactive rather than proactive for me. Today's game was a chance to go and get that third goal and kill it, and we didn't do that enough, which left us open to a set piece or throw in.

September 15, 2019, 11:49:34 PM
Reply #99

Bluedylan

Yeah, not good enough.

September 16, 2019, 05:01:11 AM
Reply #100

Bluedylan

He has got to do better like, no question. We might have imbalances and issues with the squad, but no way should we be meekly losing to Villa and Bournemouth away given the money we've spent and the fact that we have markedly better squads than both those clubs.