September 24, 2019, 03:43:57 PM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 108692 times)

Escla, Sixx1402, plumber, dazfrancis and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

February 04, 2019, 04:22:29 AM
Reply #60

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I thought we had moved to 433 but that Paul Riley fella is saying we are still doing basically the same thing.

Presume he’s basing that on something but even from the kick off yesterday you could see it was 4-3-3.

Obviously we abandoned that when went 3 at the back.

Thought it worked better with link up play (in the first half at least) as it provided better angles for Tosun.

Sigurdsson is likely to end up further forward when we’re chasing a goal (or just anyway) as that’s what he is.

Plus with Gomes at 6, he’s not a natural sitter so won’t just be there in the middle.

So whether we were successful may be an argument but I’m pretty sure we tried 4-3-3.

February 04, 2019, 12:55:31 PM
Reply #61

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah I dunno what to say really, assume there's some nuance of the 433 that he feels we arent doing or whatever but I felt we'd been 433 and keeping the ball a bit better but I dunno if that was even part of our problem or whatever.

He's very grumpy and can be a bit of knob about what evertonians think, forgetting not everybody is a bloody professional analyst like, but he's generally spot on I think so was disappointed to read him saying it's still not really a 433.

I’d say also that in both games (sending off and losing at HT) we’ve had situations that would influence what we’re doing, intentionally or not.

February 09, 2019, 01:25:17 AM
Reply #62

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah deffo.

One of my big issues with him is that he isn't physically capable of just creating distance between him and another player once he's shifted past them.

If you're not fast you have to be strong, but he ain't really either.

Positioning of the ball away from the man key here.

Am sure he’ll pick this up as he develops.

Will probably be able to bulk up a bit too

March 04, 2019, 01:55:23 AM
Reply #63

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Very deliberate the way he talked about atmosphere before and after the match.

Shows that the atmosphere does make a difference to this group of players.

Particularly about acknowledging won’t be that like for every fixture but should be “something” for most games.

March 04, 2019, 02:44:19 AM
Reply #64

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
It makes a difference to every player.

He was using it to try to cover our complete lack of belief and tactical fluency though. It worked, to an extent.

It’s the games that aren’t fuelled by a typical, ale fuelled derby atmosphere that he has to prove his worth though.

Think that he was talking about it before was that he wanted to avoid the silence/ negativity that permeates so many matches (often in ones where we’re better/ have more chances than today).

May 04, 2019, 04:57:16 AM
Reply #65

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
How fsr would you have to go back to find an everton manager who's team went 6 months without conceding at home in the lesgue?

Not just that but 9/11 clean sheets since the break is very good.

Not too tough aways but certainly games where we could have conceded set plays. 

Small point but noticed in second half there was an attempted pass over the top from deep that their CB headed back into midfield.

Silva was waving madly that the back 4 plus CMs should have been a lot more aggressive in following the pass and on top of the ball that dropped down.

Small detail but indicative of what we’re actually trying to do.

May 10, 2019, 01:29:07 PM
Reply #66

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Wouldn't xg be somewhat redundant to look at near the end of the season?

I would imagine there is a difference from season to season so should we be looking at actuals (in terms of goals scored and conceded) at this stage?

Yes and no.

Xg now would be useful if all things remain the same.

They won’t but large parts may, so it’s still something to bear in mind (see RMs first season where the xg for and against werent as good as actual performance).

As it happens, the defensive xg is promising as you don’t need to score bucket loads to get a decent points return.

For us in terms of attacking xg I think we get in decent positions but often make a terrible decision with the final pass or don’t even get a shot away.

I think they can be improved simply with players who are better in those situations. As in I think that’s easier that solving the formations we use given the current balance of players that we have.

September 01, 2019, 11:00:45 PM
Reply #67

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Re the wide positions I thought Sig moved out wide well today.

But when he does we need to make sure the ball goes that way, as that’s where the numerical advantage is.