December 11, 2019, 04:52:58 PM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 151839 times)

November 13, 2019, 09:40:13 PM
Reply #180

sam of the south

You stroke his dreads whilst spooning him and calling him Wobes. There, there Wobes - you’ll get another spot in the 10 if you just keep playing well

You must have me mistaken for Big Marcel.
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

November 16, 2019, 10:25:21 PM
Reply #181

sam of the south

Would you believe we rank 3rd in the EPL in fewest shots allowed per game? It speaks to a different problem, but our defense overall hasn't been bad.

The main problem is if you beat our press, it’s generally quite easy to breeze past Schneiderlin, and then you’ve got a terrified Michael Keane to run at.

Take those two out of the side and we miraculously look less vulnetable.

Add Iwobi to the mix in the number 10 role and we also get more possession with purpose, which makes it even less likely the opposition will fancy breaking on us en masse.
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

November 16, 2019, 11:48:35 PM
Reply #182

sam of the south

Definitely, though the same problems have been happening even since the lineup revamp. It's some weird combination of crucial mistakes leading to goals (Iwobi/Holgate vs Spurs), the ongoing set piece defending issues (Mina/Schneiderlin at Soton), dumb fouls/braindead goalkeeping (Gomes/Pickford at Brighton), or even crappy situation own goals (Digne at Brighton).

In other words, we don't have to give up a lot of shots to still give up goals. Start to eliminate those mistakes and the clean sheets start pulling up, like the last 3 months of last season.

Unfortunately we're about to see a whole lot of shots coming up which basically gives us a margin of error equal to 0.

I think a side like us employing a loose, breachable system will also lead to an increase in the likelihood of individual errors, due to our players being nervous and expecting the worst, and the opposition feeling buoyed on and trusting their luck.
Henry David Thoreau

November 17, 2019, 01:56:46 AM
Reply #183

sam of the south

I'm sure it's available, exactly where I'm not sure I'm afraid.

While we're on the subject of set pieces and stats... Just seen this.

Chances created from open play outside the top 6. Iwobi showing up which is good. Gylfi nowhere to be seen of course.

https://twitter.com/Other14The/status/1194921157729955840?s=19

Man like Wobes
Henry David Thoreau

November 25, 2019, 04:53:06 PM
Reply #184

sam of the south

If you change the word would to wouldn't it all comes together

Change the first would, leave the second as is. Word.
Henry David Thoreau

November 26, 2019, 04:02:26 AM
Reply #185

sam of the south

I have. So you want a 3-5-2 with overlapping fullbacks?

What's wrong with a 4-3-3 since we already have the talent to run that effectively?

It’s actually overlapping centre backs, believe it or not.
Henry David Thoreau

November 26, 2019, 04:04:31 AM
Reply #186

sam of the south

It’s pretty unchartered territory is what it is, Chris.
Henry David Thoreau

November 26, 2019, 04:21:32 AM
Reply #187

sam of the south

would love to see that sort of 4-2-2-2 we played against West Ham.

Although we had Gomes and Bernard for that...

That was the nuts.

Wobes and Bernard.

Walcott was a man transformed.
Henry David Thoreau

November 26, 2019, 04:39:42 AM
Reply #188

sam of the south

Now imagine Kean instead of DCL.

I like them both, and I hope they both truly thrive here under our next permanent manager.
Henry David Thoreau

November 27, 2019, 02:02:34 AM
Reply #189

sam of the south

Why are you always faster than me

That’s what she said.
Henry David Thoreau

November 28, 2019, 03:18:28 PM
Reply #190

sam of the south

The worry re: Gbamin is how badly his injury has affected his movement. Did read something saying it's a much more serious injury than many people think. Bloody typical Everton luck.

Yeah, I read a contradictory report that said full recovery is common, but that a strength weakness often remains.
Henry David Thoreau

December 05, 2019, 08:32:46 PM
Reply #191

sam of the south

If nothing else at least the last two games should finally have put to bed this ridiculous notion of Gylfi Sigurdsson playing cm.

Awful, awful, player. Can't wait til he's sold at a dramatic loss.

Moyes will play him all the time.
Henry David Thoreau

December 05, 2019, 08:55:41 PM
Reply #192

sam of the south

Why do people keep saying this?

He’s the complete opposite of a moyes type player imo.

You reckon?
Henry David Thoreau