October 24, 2019, 12:48:15 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 129464 times)

December 25, 2018, 12:11:53 AM
Reply #750

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
He was anonymous most of the game. Hardly noticed he was there as Spurs ran through midfield as if it wasn't there. He wasn't the only one true. Who can we realistically go for and get in January though?

Watford are gearing up to sell Docoure and I wouldn’t be surprised if we were in for him.

There was rumours of Riqui Puig at Barca but really couldn’t see that like.

If Gana goes we would 100% have to buy a new CM but I don’t think it’d be a pure tackler like Gana, maybe a box to box who can play in a 3. Maybe two CM’s!
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

December 25, 2018, 02:58:25 AM
Reply #751

sam of the south

Correct me if I’m wrong, but when we go forward we usually have the full-backs as wingers, the wingers as inside forwards, and the #10 up with the striker, so a sort of 2-2-6. Bit mental innit.
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

December 25, 2018, 04:45:47 AM
Reply #752

Dr. Sponge

Dropping Sigurdson weakens our side. We need another really good CM to bring something else to the team and make dropping Sigurdson worthwhile, but in the meantime, he’d be getting dropped for mediocre sideways passers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

December 25, 2018, 07:32:26 AM
Reply #753

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Dropping Sigurdson weakens our side. We need another really good CM to bring something else to the team and make dropping Sigurdson worthwhile, but in the meantime, he’d be getting dropped for mediocre sideways passers.

Or alternatively, Tom Davies who is a riskier passer than the others.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

December 25, 2018, 05:06:54 PM
Reply #754

Martip

Absolutely this. It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but 7 goals and 2 assists in 18 league games tells its own story.

For me sometimes I think fans are looking in the wrong areas when trying to apportion blame for shit performances and we need to look at players not doing what their roles require.

People moan about sig but like it or not he creates something  1 in 2 games. People get on gueyes back because he isn't Pirlo but he's easily one of the best defensive midfielders in the league and it isn't his job.

In the system we play it is so important for the front 3 to create and/or score. The problem is Walcott and in particular Bernard  don't do anywhere near enough and our forward options are crap as well. We should not get confused with who should be doing what in the team.

December 25, 2018, 05:18:45 PM
Reply #755

arteta4spain

Can't see why we don't go like a 4-2-3-1
Pickford
Coleman Mina Keane Digne
Gana Gomes
Lookman Sig Richarlison
              Tosun

Obvious choices there right now but places for Davies, Walcott Zouma, to occupy amongst others. Can accommodate Sigurdsson as he can be the further forward of the three behind Tosun so effectively a 4-2-2-1-1/4-4-1-1
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 05:21:21 PM by arteta4spain »

December 25, 2018, 05:29:00 PM
Reply #756

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Absolutely this. It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but 7 goals and 2 assists in 18 league games tells its own story.

For me sometimes I think fans are looking in the wrong areas when trying to apportion blame for shit performances and we need to look at players not doing what their roles require.

People moan about sig but like it or not he creates something  1 in 2 games. People get on gueyes back because he isn't Pirlo but he's easily one of the best defensive midfielders in the league and it isn't his job.

In the system we play it is so important for the front 3 to create and/or score. The problem is Walcott and in particular Bernard  don't do anywhere near enough and our forward options are crap as well. We should not get confused with who should be doing what in the team.

Nah that’s not why people are strolling through the middle, and it’s not why we’re not creating enough, and it’s not why we struggle to control and manage games, even at home.

CM is still gash. And the 2 man midfield isn’t doable without gueye’s super human ball winning.

4-3-3 is silva’s preferred formation and he’ll move to that soon I think. Two box to box players with a good passer ahead of them. If that means breaking a few eggs then so be it, because we are terrible at the minute.

December 26, 2018, 02:05:40 AM
Reply #757

sam of the south

Nah that’s not why people are strolling through the middle, and it’s not why we’re not creating enough, and it’s not why we struggle to control and manage games, even at home.

CM is still gash. And the 2 man midfield isn’t doable without gueye’s super human ball winning.

4-3-3 is silva’s preferred formation and he’ll move to that soon I think. Two box to box players with a good passer ahead of them. If that means breaking a few eggs then so be it, because we are terrible at the minute.

Yes I agree.

However, if he has two box to box mids and a passer in front does that mean that the two box to box players become DM’s without the ball, or do all three fall back when we are without possession?

And what about when we are going forward? Does one sit, and the other two move forward?

And what examples of players would fit these roles?
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

December 26, 2018, 03:14:18 AM
Reply #758

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Yes I agree.

However, if he has two box to box mids and a passer in front does that mean that the two box to box players become DM’s without the ball, or do all three fall back when we are without possession?

And what about when we are going forward? Does one sit, and the other two move forward?

And what examples of players would fit these roles?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AeomHPQz5ko

December 26, 2018, 03:17:19 AM
Reply #759

sam of the south

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AeomHPQz5ko

Doh! I posted that back in the day as well, haha

So, how are we currently playing differently to that? (I’m not playing devil’s advocate, btw, I just want your more forensic take on it)
Henry David Thoreau

December 26, 2018, 03:24:24 AM
Reply #760

sam of the south

So, how are we currently playing differently to that? (I’m not playing devil’s advocate, btw, I just want your more forensic take on it)

Ah, here might be the answer

Henry David Thoreau

December 26, 2018, 03:33:29 AM
Reply #761

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

I’m terrible with stuff like this, but as far as I can tell Gylfi is pushing much further up than say cleverley was. He doesn’t get involved unless it’s on the break or up on the edge of the box.

Where he had cleverley switching play he’s now got Gomes and the CB’s. Keane, Zouma and Mina are probably all better ball players than the watford lot so not a massive issue like, but Gomes instead of being a vertical runner like Docoure who wants to get on the end of build up and score or assist by passing into the box, plays for me more like a Schneiderlin type six and tries to switch play out of trouble rather than intently building overloads then switching to the other side

Away against the big sides we’ve sat in a rigid 442 and tried to break (which fits what I’d heard his sides were like - olympiakos fans used to say he’d rather win the ball back than have it I think?), but at home I personally think it looks sort of unbalanced and top heavy, relying on crosses, but then leaving the opp with one or two passes to get in against a back line that are on their heels, and people are scoring lots of breaks + cutbacks against us, which I think was picked out by the statsbomb article pre season :

https://statsbomb.com/2018/08/everton-2018-19-season-preview/

December 26, 2018, 03:34:38 AM
Reply #762

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Might be chatting wham there I’ve been on the ale for days.

December 26, 2018, 03:40:54 AM
Reply #763

sam of the south

Might be chatting wham there I’ve been on the ale for days.

Nah, that’s exactly how I’ve been seeing it, just better explained than I could manage.

Taking my daughter to the Amex for her first match on the 29th, I’m dreading us looking like a shit 4-4-2 with Dunk and Duffy dealing with all our crosses, and Knockheart (who me and my daughter met in Nando’s last week, thoroughly nice lad surprisingly) and his mates exploiting us on the flanks with cutbacks aplenty
Henry David Thoreau

December 26, 2018, 03:46:05 AM
Reply #764

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Nah, that’s exactly how I’ve been seeing it, just better explained than I could manage.

Taking my daughter to the Amex for her first match on the 29th, I’m dreading us looking like a shit 4-4-2 with Dunk and Duffy dealing with all our crosses, and Knockheart (who me and my daughter met in Nando’s last week, thoroughly nice lad surprisingly) and his mates exploiting us on the flanks with cutbacks aplenty

Not looking forward to pumping balls into their fods for 90 mins but quality wise against the likes of them we should have enough over the course of the season to get a few wins.

Keep the faith mate, it’s not there yet but if it was it would have been a miracle. It’s ok to have doubts and grumbles, but DEFFO heading the right the way. What we need now is a few stable season and 2/3 good windows back to back.

A richarlison every summer and we’ll be flying.