October 18, 2019, 01:54:12 PM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 127043 times)

December 28, 2018, 11:06:37 PM
Reply #795

sam of the south

I was overly harsh on Boxing Day, it was a great win with some sparkling forward play, and some fairly solid defensive work.

Coleman was much sounder than of late, Bernard and Digne were very good, and I thought Sigurdsson was far better deployed deeper, which I’d always hoped would be the case; my feelings on him in previous matches were if he’s played so far forward he might as well be given a shot as the #9

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

December 29, 2018, 10:23:18 PM
Reply #796

gizzblue

Why change a winning side ?.....think Silva shot himself in the foot ere.
Born not made a blue .

December 29, 2018, 10:47:59 PM
Reply #797

Martip

Silva needs to have a word with himself after this....we 've been shit since the Liverpool game burnley aside and I'm not convinced he knows what to do about it.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 10:52:22 PM by Martip »

December 29, 2018, 10:56:29 PM
Reply #798

Lxxx

Is that Leicester who wanted to sack Puel a week ago? Nah, not remotely worried about them. City and Chelsea were both pretty poor against them. A normal City and Chelsea batter them. Same with West Ham. They've had some lovely fixtures recently. Wolves and Watford won't even enter the conversation imo.

Admire but don’t share your optimism.

December 29, 2018, 11:08:38 PM
Reply #799

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
The three at the back are fine but you have to then have something going on in front of them, Gomes being poor and Richarlison throwing himself on the deck makes it a big ask. You need a Calvert Lewin or a Tosun up top to make the ball stick a bit

December 29, 2018, 11:24:38 PM
Reply #800

kramer0

He's got plenty going for him. He speaks well. It's pretty clear that players respect him and enjoy working with him. That's a huge deal, as we've seen how toxic things can get when it isn't the case. It's also a nifty thing for recruitment purposes.

But I'm worried about Silva the tactician. Generally speaking, I don't think his gambles are worthwhile. We play high up the pitch but aren't that good at winning the ball there, which often leaves us exposed. We commit lots of men forward but attack mostly through the wide areas, which mostly leads to crosses and pretty much any well-organized defense can deal with those.

And he also makes weird decisions like today. The back three was fair enough against the two centre forwards of Burnley (it's nice to have a spare CB to sweep up) but made no sense at all against a lone striker today. And I'm not having the "don't change it if it works" philosophy because he did change it -- he dropped the target man (very important, we're a better side when DCL plays) and made a defensive swap in the middle of the park. If he was willing to change that, why can't he change the shape as well?

I think Silva deserves a full two seasons to work it out, provided he's not doing horrible things to the squad like the last three managers (this doesn't seem to be the case). But he does need to work some stuff out because his team selections are costing us points. This squad has its issues but it's too good to be swapping spots in the table with the likes of Wolves, Leicester, Watford, and West Ham each week. We should be creating distance from that pack.

December 29, 2018, 11:42:58 PM
Reply #801

Lxxx

You can’t just give a manager two seasons regardless of the job he’s doing. You have to work in 6 month increments and assess where you’re heading at each window, whoever you are. Especially with a new stadium on the horizon.

December 30, 2018, 12:00:42 AM
Reply #802

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I think Silva deserves a full two seasons to work it out, provided he's not doing horrible things to the squad like the last three managers (this doesn't seem to be the case). But he does need to work some stuff out because his team selections are costing us points. This squad has its issues but it's too good to be swapping spots in the table with the likes of Wolves, Leicester, Watford, and West Ham each week. We should be creating distance from that pack.

Only thing I disagree with is the quality of the squad. I think there isn’t enough quality difference between us which means we need more manager influence to create separation from that group.

If it was a case that we were way too good to be in amongst them then I would be much, much harsher with my assessment of Silva.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 12:21:56 AM by brap2 »
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

December 30, 2018, 01:43:27 AM
Reply #803

KoemansNumberTens

He's got plenty going for him. He speaks well. It's pretty clear that players respect him and enjoy working with him. That's a huge deal, as we've seen how toxic things can get when it isn't the case. It's also a nifty thing for recruitment purposes.

But I'm worried about Silva the tactician. Generally speaking, I don't think his gambles are worthwhile. We play high up the pitch but aren't that good at winning the ball there, which often leaves us exposed. We commit lots of men forward but attack mostly through the wide areas, which mostly leads to crosses and pretty much any well-organized defense can deal with those.

And he also makes weird decisions like today. The back three was fair enough against the two centre forwards of Burnley (it's nice to have a spare CB to sweep up) but made no sense at all against a lone striker today. And I'm not having the "don't change it if it works" philosophy because he did change it -- he dropped the target man (very important, we're a better side when DCL plays) and made a defensive swap in the middle of the park. If he was willing to change that, why can't he change the shape as well?

Talks well but shit at tactics (management) Christ that’s a bit of a worry. Least we’ll like him too much to sack

December 30, 2018, 01:49:04 AM
Reply #804

eyesalwaysblue

Ww won't break away from any pack without a good goal scorer and with a Walcott.
I still despise Clive Thomas..

December 30, 2018, 02:27:18 AM
Reply #805

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Not sure the tactics are shit as such he just can't seem to find something that consistently works yet. That's a worry but if he does find a formula then it will be great. His strength and his weakness right now is his willingness to change things

December 30, 2018, 02:33:15 AM
Reply #806

Waltzer

You can't just give a manager two seasons regardless of the job he's doing. You have to work in 6 month increments and assess where you're heading at each window, whoever you are. Especially with a new stadium on the horizon.
Disagree, we've done that and it hasn't worked, we keep chopping and changing and all it results in is huge squad changes and no continuity. Yes, if Silva goes 6 months with 1 or 2 wins then it'll need addressing, but you've got to expect ups and downs, especially as we're transitioning from a squad built around pretty direct managers in Koeman and Sam to a very attacking high press outfit. Silva is the man Moshiri wanted and we have to show some loyalty despite blips, this isn't just a change of personnel on the pitch its a cultural change and that takes time

Sent from my CLT-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

December 30, 2018, 02:37:03 AM
Reply #807

eyesalwaysblue

Not sure the tactics are shit as such he just can't seem to find something that consistently works yet. That's a worry but if he does find a formula then it will be great. His strength and his weakness right now is his willingness to change things
We hated Martinez for carrying on with the same shit that wasn't working, same with Koeman, so although it obviously didn't work today, it's hard to knock Silva for experimenting, we created more in the first half today so something should have been learned, about today's game anyway.  If we land the players we need to push on we'll have to get used to rotation eventually.
I still despise Clive Thomas..

December 30, 2018, 02:39:09 AM
Reply #808

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
He’s only been in the job a few
months lolol

December 30, 2018, 02:43:25 AM
Reply #809

Lxxx

Disagree, we've done that and it hasn't worked, we keep chopping and changing and all it results in is huge squad changes and no continuity. Yes, if Silva goes 6 months with 1 or 2 wins then it'll need addressing, but you've got to expect ups and downs, especially as we're transitioning from a squad built around pretty direct managers in Koeman and Sam to a very attacking high press outfit. Silva is the man Moshiri wanted and we have to show some loyalty despite blips, this isn't just a change of personnel on the pitch its a cultural change and that takes time

Sent from my CLT-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

I’m not advocating ditching him, or even thinking about it. He deserved time at the start and nothing has really changed. I’m just challenging the notion that he should get an automatic two years, regardless of results.

With Brands at the helm the footballing side looks to be taken care of and the transfer policy thus far looks sensible. This should transcend managerial appointments, to a degree.

Which means it now takes the pressure off the club when making decisions on the manager/coach and the resulting upheaval we’ve seen the past few years. Financials notwithstanding.