August 18, 2019, 08:44:21 PM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 93728 times)

December 30, 2018, 10:22:55 PM
Reply #825

eyesalwaysblue

Bernard will come good..
I still despise Clive Thomas..

December 30, 2018, 10:55:46 PM
Reply #826

Martip

Yeah but you can almost discount all spend up til last summer.

In jan we spent 27m on cenk, he’s not even getting on the bench now and we’re likely going to get rid at a loss.

In the summer we spent like £18m on digne and he’s now one of our best players.

Anything pre brands has to be written off. We started this with a bloated, aging squad full of old shite players on big contracts, and some young players with not enough prem mins to know if they can make the grade.

It’s going to take time to get this side out the mud. The worry is if Leicester, Wolves, Watford etc. move quicker.
Agree with the bulk of this but you can't just discount all that spend as some of the players brought in have quality meaning we should be starting from a half decent starting point rather than from scratch.

That said the use of such a large amount of money so badly has to be up their with some of the worst value spends in prem history.

December 30, 2018, 10:58:48 PM
Reply #827

TheTone

December 30, 2018, 11:18:11 PM
Reply #828

eyesalwaysblue

And we'll finish 6th
He's quality and puts the effort in, it's just not all come together yet for him, would put hard earned on that it will.

December 30, 2018, 11:32:13 PM
Reply #829

Martip

He's quality and puts the effort in, it's just not all come together yet for him, would put hard earned on that it will.
Hope you are right

December 30, 2018, 11:37:56 PM
Reply #830

eyesalwaysblue

Hope you are right
I might be unhinged though because i  think the 3 centre halves will come good as well..

December 30, 2018, 11:40:32 PM
Reply #831

Martip

I might be unhinged though because i  think the 3 centre halves will come good as well..
That's the spirit !

December 31, 2018, 03:03:35 AM
Reply #832

Lxxx

Think he means that those who expected us to finish much higher than 7th are delusional.
I don’t know any fan who expected us to finish higher than 7th.

December 31, 2018, 04:12:33 AM
Reply #833

sam of the south

All I wanted this season was recruitment of young, exciting players in the 19-25 age range, that have the chance to increase their value and improve our short and long-term prospects, and a manager that is dilligent, detailed, and progressive in his coaching of the team, with a strong focus on man management.

So far I haven’t been let down at all.

However, it still fucking hurts like crazy when we don’t win, play poorly, or have rotten luck.

Being realistic but still being gutted when we don’t succeed are not mutually exclusive.
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

December 31, 2018, 03:21:31 PM
Reply #834

BlueNoseMike

Think as usual people go way over the top. We are inconsistent but only 5 teams in the country aren't.

It might sound like a pathetic excuse but we have factor in the amount of football played over Christmas.

Other teams like West ham spurs and Leicester have dropped points against inferior teams after good performances before.

We have also had to contend with 2 further factors. Probably the most traveling time (half the prem having 2 away games and half having 2 home games on 26th and 29th/30th is ridiculous). Also, we have had the least rest time between the festive games out of all the 20 clubs (alongside spurs, who had their 2 middle games at home).

These small details matter at the elite level. Even more so when we are not one of the top teams.

The biggest disappointments this season have been the home games against Newcastle and Watford. They were the dropped points for me.

Early games against Huddersfield and West ham we had barely any new players in.

Anyone with eyes can see that the difference between us this season and last season. It's night and day for me. Just need flesh it out, be a bit more consistent. But as others have said it will take more transfer windows for that to happen.

Throw in a digne style rb and a finisher and another cm who can box to box and we are a proper team all o

December 31, 2018, 03:42:38 PM
Reply #835

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
I don’t know any fan who expected us to finish higher than 7th.
Didn’t mean to like, meant to say there were a few on here looking for top 4, but you’re right, you probably don’t know them.

December 31, 2018, 04:32:47 PM
Reply #836

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Didn’t mean to like, meant to say there were a few on here looking for top 4, but you’re right, you probably don’t know them.

There was people on here saying we should get 6th about a month ago.

Every summer we have people saying challenge the top 4. Every single summer.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

December 31, 2018, 04:38:52 PM
Reply #837

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Think as usual people go way over the top. We are inconsistent but only 5 teams in the country aren't.

It might sound like a pathetic excuse but we have factor in the amount of football played over Christmas.

Other teams like West ham spurs and Leicester have dropped points against inferior teams after good performances before.

We have also had to contend with 2 further factors. Probably the most traveling time (half the prem having 2 away games and half having 2 home games on 26th and 29th/30th is ridiculous). Also, we have had the least rest time between the festive games out of all the 20 clubs (alongside spurs, who had their 2 middle games at home).

These small details matter at the elite level. Even more so when we are not one of the top teams.

The biggest disappointments this season have been the home games against Newcastle and Watford. They were the dropped points for me.

Early games against Huddersfield and West ham we had barely any new players in.

Anyone with eyes can see that the difference between us this season and last season. It's night and day for me. Just need flesh it out, be a bit more consistent. But as others have said it will take more transfer windows for that to happen.

Throw in a digne style rb and a finisher and another cm who can box to box and we are a proper team all o

Also think that run of away games against the top 6 has stopped us gaining any kind of momentum.

Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

December 31, 2018, 04:40:24 PM
Reply #838

Martip

There was people on here saying we should get 6th about a month ago.

Every summer we have people saying challenge the top 4. Every single summer.
The way utd were faltering 6th felt a decent target for a period.

December 31, 2018, 04:41:55 PM
Reply #839

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

Other factor is that if you finish 7th then more often than not you’ll have “7th” performances ie good in patches, slightly above average for the most part, and poor patches too.

You’re also unlikely to have linear form across the season.

And then on a purely points level you’re likely to end up winning less games than you don’t win. And draws for us against anyone bar top 6 are seen as poor results.

People have to keep that in mind when assessing the season so far.