October 20, 2019, 08:56:32 PM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 128332 times)

KevtheRat, Juanito, dazfrancis and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

January 01, 2019, 08:55:06 PM
Reply #855

KoemansNumberTens

I think there’s a massive problem in that we really overrate our side and underrate our competitors. Just because we overpaid doesn’t make them good.

I’m not actually questioning your doubts, just interested in the rationale behind Xmas being the limit. Personally I’ve really dialled it back from giving managers a few years to mould the team, I’m more on board with the 12 month reflecting on points and performance.

Agree with this

Our biggest problem is we have loads of shite hyped up players

Walcott. Went to the World Cup at 13 and played for arsenal (he’s shite)
Sigurdsson. Fantastic stats (he’s shite)
Gomes. Played for Barcelona and is a super hunk (he’s shite)
Bernard. Cost 40m once and played for Brazil (he’s shite)
Pickford. Player of the year great World Cup (shite)
DCL scored the winner in the u20s World Cup (vile shite. He’s genuinely terrible while the others are just overhyped)

January 01, 2019, 08:55:53 PM
Reply #856

Mac934

I think we need to look at ourselves in some of this. Is it a coincidence that managers come to us with a good reputation, fuck up, get sacked then do well somewhere else? Appreciate its a 2 way street, but we are terrible supporters and Goodison must be a terrible place to play

Sent from my CLT-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app
Well give us something to cheer about! There's not many better atmospheres than a bouncing Goodison. But there is no spark or anything to cheer about at the moment is there?

January 01, 2019, 08:57:50 PM
Reply #857

Mayor Farnum

Shame Marco never came last season when anyone could have got our squad to eighth.
Something clever written by someone else.

January 01, 2019, 08:57:52 PM
Reply #858

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Agree with this

Our biggest problem is we have loads of shite hyped up players

Walcott. Went to the World Cup at 13 and played for arsenal (he’s shite)
Sigurdsson. Fantastic stats (he’s shite)
Gomes. Played for Barcelona and is a super hunk (he’s shite)
Bernard. Cost 40m once and played for Brazil (he’s shite)
Pickford. Player of the year great World Cup (shite)
DCL scored the winner in the u20s World Cup (vile shite. He’s genuinely terrible while the others are just overhyped)

The bird jibbed you off?
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

January 01, 2019, 08:58:32 PM
Reply #859

Martip

I think there’s a massive problem in that we really overrate our side and underrate our competitors. Just because we overpaid doesn’t make them good.

I’m not actually questioning your doubts, just interested in the rationale behind Xmas being the limit. Personally I’ve really dialled it back from giving managers a few years to mould the team, I’m more on board with the 12 month reflecting on points and performance.
Tbh I would happily give a couple of seasons IF things seem to be going in the right direction but I'm yet to see it if I'm honest and I think we should be doing better with the players we have.

This last month has been not good enough and I don't think we have improved from last year.

January 01, 2019, 09:01:27 PM
Reply #860

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
There's clearly a plan we just aren't implementing it.

January 01, 2019, 09:01:43 PM
Reply #861

duncandisorderly

A bit concerning, for the 2nd consecutive game we've lost a game we've been the better side in. I like the way he has us playing at times but it's been poor since the Derby defeat, bar the Burnley game. One of the critcisms of Silva by the Watford fans was that he couldn't stop the slide when it started to go wrong. Think we're seeing a bit of that to be honest, he doesn't seem to have another way of playing, it's all gone very Martinez like at the moment. Yes it's a season of transition but that doesn't give him a free pass to keep fucking it up, he's got to arrest this slide and show us he's the man to take us forward.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

January 01, 2019, 09:01:59 PM
Reply #862

KoemansNumberTens

The bird jibbed you off?

No she’s been out the last couple of games so I’ve “treated” myself to watching the games.

January 01, 2019, 09:05:08 PM
Reply #863

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
No she’s been out the last couple of games so I’ve “treated” myself to watching the games.

Unfortunate the way you only seem to watch us when we lose.

Because when we win you don’t really have much to say.

January 01, 2019, 09:10:36 PM
Reply #864

KoemansNumberTens

I’m just content when we win. We were great against Burnley. Watched Watford too that was shite

Surely the truth is this really isn’t any more entertaining than last season if you remove the 2 or 3 exceptions and that’s with investment and results are worse.

Do you not agree this is far from good enough and there’s been very few good performances

Watched Liverpool too that was quite good until the end. There’s really not been much to be happy about this season

January 01, 2019, 09:14:22 PM
Reply #865

Martip

Gotta be honest and say there's not been many plus points so far tbf.

January 01, 2019, 09:17:36 PM
Reply #866

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
I have some sympathy for Sllva. I'd understand that people think it's an excuse when you mention luck, but I think he's been let down by individuals pretty frequently this season. Anytime we look to build momentum be it in a game or over a few games there is another silly error, or another refereeing decision that knocks us back and when confidence is fragile it really doesn't take much to set us off course.

Both the Brighton and Leicester games should've ended as a draw. We didn't do enough to win them really but I don't think we particularly deserved to lose them either. You can build on draws and solidity though. When we're getting nothing from these games, there are adjustments to try and proactively fix something and nothing ever seems settled or that we're building momentum.

January 01, 2019, 09:24:01 PM
Reply #867

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
I’m just content when we win. We were great against Burnley. Watched Watford too that was shite

Surely the truth is this really isn’t any more entertaining than last season if you remove the 2 or 3 exceptions and that’s with investment and results are worse.

Do you not agree this is far from good enough and there’s been very few good performances

Watched Liverpool too that was quite good until the end. There’s really not been much to be happy about this season

I don’t know why you keep going on about investment. Brands was tasked with the job of reducing the wage bill.

We’ve spent big transfer fees on players but they were only allowed to come in at the expense of players going out.

Brands and silva inherited a very unbalanced, ageing squad and had the tenor of reducing the wage bill, reducing the age, whilst also improving the quality of the players.

It’s not a remit that brings immediate results. Adding six players alone brings its own problems and the manager needs time to find the right blend.

I’m not interested in comparing this season to the one just gone. We were a complete irrelevance, treading water waiting for the season to end and start a completley new process.

Results could and should be better, but when you take over a team that has finished 11th, 11th, 7th and 8th over the last four season I fail to see why people expect anything much better.

If results are the same this time next season and we find ourselves in the same position, then that’s the time to ask serious questions.

Until then, give the manager time to work out the squad, find the right blend of players and bring in some more to hopefully improve us as a unit.

January 01, 2019, 09:24:38 PM
Reply #868

Mayor Farnum

There's clearly a plan we just aren't implementing it.

This is an archetypal NSNO post; hinting that you see more than the rest of us but stopping short of explaining it to us.
Something clever written by someone else.

January 01, 2019, 09:29:16 PM
Reply #869

KoemansNumberTens

I don’t know why you keep going on about investment. Brands was tasked with the job of reducing the wage bill.

We’ve spent big transfer fees on players but they were only allowed to come in at the expense of players going out.

Brands and silva inherited a very unbalanced, ageing squad and had the tenor of reducing the wage bill, reducing the age, whilst also improving the quality of the players.

It’s not a remit that brings immediate results. Adding six players alone brings its own problems and the manager needs time to find the right blend.

I’m not interested in comparing this season to the one just gone. We were a complete irrelevance, treading water waiting for the season to end and start a completley new process.

Results could and should be better, but when you take over a team that has finished 11th, 11th, 7th and 8th over the last four season I fail to see why people expect anything much better.

If results are the same this time next season and we find ourselves in the same position, then that’s the time to ask serious questions.

Until then, give the manager time to work out the squad, find the right blend of players and bring in some more to hopefully improve us as a unit.

I don’t disagree. I don’t want silva sacked, we can’t afford yet another manager and I’m not even saying silva is the wrong man anyway

All I’m saying is that so far it’s been pretty dreadful

I get the 11th 11th 7th 8th point but the counter argument for that is the dreadful standard of them managers. If he’s par with koeman allardyce and Martinez we have a major problem.

I don’t have high expeditions. I do think 7th and playing decent football was reasonable though. As it stands it looks like we’ll more likely be adding another 11th to that list rather than a 7th