September 20, 2019, 05:55:10 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 104124 times)

November 04, 2018, 03:20:55 PM
Read 104124 times

BlueNoseMike

Like to see Davies get some game time along side Gomes, think it would do him the world of good and help bring him on, with the transformation lately of Keane's defending i'd hope Davies could be another to make a leap forward along with Lookman and Lewin. The order that issues have been tackled in recruitment and style of play changes can't be argued with lately for me so fair play to all the staff, feel like we can give Chelsea a game next.

who you dropping for davies, or you mean off the bench? isn't our bench looking good all of a sudden?

November 04, 2018, 04:54:04 PM
Reply #1

BlueNoseMike

Hard to drop anyone mate, but maybe when we've put a game to bed to start with, maybe i've got a soft spot for Davies but still think there's a very good player in there, i had the same feeling for Barkley, maybe i'm too sentimental about home grown lads.

No I agree, I like Davies. Just he isn't a first 11 player currently and depending on how the game is going there's better options off bench. If we are chasing a game DCL Lookman Tosun are the obvious subs

If we are in control say 2 - 0 you could take Sig off for Davies to be fair. Can't think of many other ways you'd get him in. If we are well in control maybe as a way to rest gueye and gomes but I'd rather they stay on as it's likely that we are in control because they are the ones controlling it

November 04, 2018, 07:12:52 PM
Reply #2

BlueNoseMike

Re: Davies -  4-3-3 will happen at some point I think.

Who you taking out for him? Is it you who just doesn't rate sig at all? He was instrumental in 2 of our goals yesterday and has set up more chances than most players this season

November 19, 2018, 04:11:57 AM
Reply #3

BlueNoseMike

Saw this posted earlier about the season so far.

Despite all the improvements compared to last year, the stats across the season as a whole suggest that we’re very much middle of the pack if you look at expected goals for and against.

It’s nice to have a good feeling around here again but we’ve still a ways to go yet.

Fuck me, I'm assuming City aren't on there because they are so farr ahead of everybody else and off the grid?

November 19, 2018, 04:21:24 AM
Reply #4

BlueNoseMike

Keep scrolling.

But basically yeah!

Worth bearing in mind our numbers are middle of the pack yes, but have been getting better!

Ah yeah. True, you've got to think the likes of Bournemouth and Watford will dip though

December 31, 2018, 03:21:31 PM
Reply #5

BlueNoseMike

Think as usual people go way over the top. We are inconsistent but only 5 teams in the country aren't.

It might sound like a pathetic excuse but we have factor in the amount of football played over Christmas.

Other teams like West ham spurs and Leicester have dropped points against inferior teams after good performances before.

We have also had to contend with 2 further factors. Probably the most traveling time (half the prem having 2 away games and half having 2 home games on 26th and 29th/30th is ridiculous). Also, we have had the least rest time between the festive games out of all the 20 clubs (alongside spurs, who had their 2 middle games at home).

These small details matter at the elite level. Even more so when we are not one of the top teams.

The biggest disappointments this season have been the home games against Newcastle and Watford. They were the dropped points for me.

Early games against Huddersfield and West ham we had barely any new players in.

Anyone with eyes can see that the difference between us this season and last season. It's night and day for me. Just need flesh it out, be a bit more consistent. But as others have said it will take more transfer windows for that to happen.

Throw in a digne style rb and a finisher and another cm who can box to box and we are a proper team all o

January 01, 2019, 11:23:12 PM
Reply #6

BlueNoseMike

You seem to have a rather generous interpretation of the word chance. If we consider a chance as merely putting the ball into an area where a forward may be standing on another day then it has little relevance. Their 'keeper never dived all day. Chances schmances.

A proper goalscorer taps that Bernard cross in.

January 09, 2019, 02:51:33 AM
Reply #7

BlueNoseMike

we now have to play all the top 6 bar spurs at home , some will say playing them all away 1st as not helped in the 1st part of the season , I am of the other type not playing them at home gave us more them at home we should be getting the 3 points of , now in the 2nd part of the season we have less teams at home we should be getting the 3 point of

for 4/5 years we have been chasing that 1st year under Roberto its like someone on drugs chasing that 1st high , we were to be getting something new with this managers and all some of us can see is more of the same shoehorning players into a system/style of play that is and has not worked for us is getting a bit boring

are best game of the season we played 3421 and a 1-5 win then shoehorned 2 players into that system and lost so its back to the old 4231 that has been working so fucking well for us in the last 4 years

he can be a nice guy that all the players love and talk great about all he wants for me its about a hell of a lot more than that and we are not getting that or looking like we are going to get it out of him …..YET

is it time to be calling for his head lol no that will be when this team that (and I quote) any manager would get Everton 8th fails go get 7/8th

words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup
they slither as they make no sense, across the internet

February 08, 2019, 05:25:20 PM
Reply #8

BlueNoseMike

Conceded 17 fewer goals in open play than this time last season.

The set piece issue will end up defining him I feel.

Get that sorted and we march on.

Doesn’t get it sorted and he’s gone by Crimbo.

That is a quality stat! If we can sort out the set piece defending (and as others said, make better use of Mina in attacking set pieces), we're probably 10+ points better off (at least).

Agree, if it isn't addressed by then, it never will be and he needs to go. But if it is addressed the other stats suggest he's got us on the right track doesn't it?

May 10, 2019, 06:30:45 PM
Reply #9

BlueNoseMike

Would the defensive XG improve with a goalkeeper in better form than pickford this season?

He's near the bottom of the league for saves per shot and all that type of stuff.

I think stats like xG for and against are general and are not individually specific. Like a striker in a one on one with say Allison or Mignolet it would still give the same statistical chance. One of the flaws of the stat I suppose.

Unless of course you mean the keeper denies the chance earlier? Attacks a cross or forces a pass out wide.

He has been up and down though, willing to stick with him as he delivers for England and should hopefully get more consistent.

He's barely had anything to save recently, been such a long time that has been the case (early year Moyes)

Zouma is a must

May 10, 2019, 06:33:13 PM
Reply #10

BlueNoseMike

Not too worried about xG being low currently. Slot a more instinctive striker in our team (whilst hoping DCL continues to develop) and that naturally goes up! the against column is more of an indicator really, as clearly we have started to get some great defensive structure in our team.

Hard to score against, whilst playing easy on the eye footy, will do me nicely

August 24, 2019, 04:16:09 AM
Reply #11

BlueNoseMike

I feel like people are going to keep making excuses up for Silva by saying that X player means he can’t play the way he wants to

Bore off. Think it's a fair comment. Digne shows how having a top technical full back suits silvas approach.

You could say same about any manager btw. Pep klopp the lot