October 24, 2019, 07:06:15 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 129563 times)

January 01, 2019, 11:51:22 PM
Reply #900

sam of the south

We’re far better than we were under Koeman and Allardyce, lads, or at least we will be.

By that I mean once it all clicks and we get better and more suited players in, we will have more chance of progressing than we had under the narrow, archaic percentage football under the gruesome twosome, and the tabloid style player recruitment of Walsh.
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

January 01, 2019, 11:54:37 PM
Reply #901

Mayor Farnum

We have to give him time. When we employed him we did it on the strength of a record that was open to interpretation. We took a bit of a gamble knowing that the up-side could be very good.
We could have expected to see a bit more evidence of his influence in performances and results but that hasn't happened yet. However, he's attracted good players and managed his one transfer window very well. We knew what we were getting was a little bit of an unknown quantity and therefore, knew our resolve may be tested. No point taking a gamble and losing our nerve within the first eighteen months.
Something clever written by someone else.

January 02, 2019, 12:25:03 AM
Reply #902

Polledreng

NSNO Subscriber
u do realise we only had 2 shots on target, so what exactly are we creating?
but our best chance was Kenny and it isn't counted as on target… Love those stats

January 02, 2019, 12:30:28 AM
Reply #903

KoemansNumberTens

Probaby an unpopular statement but I’m not seeing much evidence in Silva’s Premier League career to date, over three clubs, that he’s the man we should have gone out on a limb for.

Of course I’d love to be proved wrong but with a talented side, and despite a few areas it’s not as bad as some make out, we still don’t look as if we have much of an idea of what to do to make the move from mid table mediocrity.

He deserves the season minimum due to the investment made in him but the second half of the campaign we need to start seeing some evidence of consistency, in both play and results, regardless of any additions this month.

Got relegated with hull and Watford are better this season without him. We seemed to have gambled an awful lot of a complete punt

Not convinced in the slightest and the defence of him seems to be that we need a right back a play maker and a striker etc etc etc. I guess if we spend enough we might become an okay team but there’s no sign of silva making us better than the sum of the parts

January 02, 2019, 12:48:13 AM
Reply #904

SANA_DR0

I think we need to look at ourselves in some of this. Is it a coincidence that managers come to us with a good reputation, fuck up, get sacked then do well somewhere else? Appreciate its a 2 way street, but we are terrible supporters and Goodison must be a terrible place to play

Sent from my CLT-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

I disagree with this totally. We have not got in a top class manager, the last 3 managers have all done ok ish at other clubs, then they came to the biggest clubs they have ever been at.. we should have went and got a top class manager, who has been there and done it.. someone with experience at playing at the top level.
Silva looks as lost as Martinez did, the players just don't seem up for it, they haven't since the Liverpool match, regardless of if its a hangover from that match or something else, he (Silva) should be able to motivate his team.

today was as bad as big sam in charge, the difference is under big sam, we played the long ball game so most of our passes were off anyway...
Unsworth has a 100% League record at home
Norwich 3-0 15th May 2016
Watford 3-2 5th Nov 2017
West Ham 4-0 29th Nov 2017
To Be Continued.....

January 02, 2019, 12:49:21 AM
Reply #905

markB

Typical wum response ....read again we 'are' creating we need a forward...ffs ..do you need it in brail ...as for narrative im a supporter of Everton actually watching a game not just seeing my arse and throwing my toys cos we lost ...so need no narrative thanks . :thumbsup:

I am at the game every week I can get there and a good few away games

and would that be sitting on my arse you would mean

throwing my toys cos we lost lol I would not have many left then would I

January 02, 2019, 12:51:06 AM
Reply #906

Lxxx

We’re far better than we were under Koeman and Allardyce, lads, or at least we will be.

By that I mean once it all clicks and we get better and more suited players in, we will have more chance of progressing than we had under the narrow, archaic percentage football under the gruesome twosome, and the tabloid style player recruitment of Walsh.

Being heralded for playing a more expansive game than Koeman or Allardyce is akin to being damned by faint praise. Both managers were responsible for some awful football...but still managed 7th and 8th.

It’s great that we look to have moved on from that but the second half of this season is where we now need to see some evidence that he can balance it out and mould a competitive side.

We have comfortably the most talented side probably since Martinez season one, so the next few months it’s not unreasonable to expect to see things start to progress and move forwards with a little more consistency.

January 02, 2019, 12:52:29 AM
Reply #907

Dr. Sponge

Got relegated with hull and Watford are better this season without him. We seemed to have gambled an awful lot of a complete punt

Not convinced in the slightest and the defence of him seems to be that we need a right back a play maker and a striker etc etc etc. I guess if we spend enough we might become an okay team but there's no sign of silva making us better than the sum of the parts

Slight propaganda. He took over a rock bottom Hull in January, improved them and nearly kept them up.

He got sacked at Watford when they were 10th in the league, now they’re a lofty 9th.

Also, conveniently ignored the three clubs he managed before these. He’s had 6 months at us, put the knives away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

January 02, 2019, 12:58:53 AM
Reply #908

sam of the south

Being heralded for playing a more expansive game than Koeman or Allardyce is akin to being damned by faint praise. Both managers were responsible for some awful football...but still managed 7th and 8th.

It’s great that we look to have moved on from that but the second half of this season is where we now need to see some evidence that he can balance it out and mould a competitive side.

We have comfortably the most talented side probably since Martinez season one, so the next few months it’s not unreasonable to expect to see things start to progress and move forwards with a little more consistency.

It’s about the long-term, though.

Implementing a coaching style like Silva’s is far more likely to deliver long-term success than the archaic methods and tactics employed by the other two.

Whether that long-term success is delivered by Silva is very much up for debate, however the club is moving in the right direction by going down this modern path, and then if Silva doesn’t work out we already have a club and a core group of players that are already versed in these types of training and tactical methods.
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

January 02, 2019, 01:03:12 AM
Reply #909

KoemansNumberTens

Slight propaganda. He took over a rock bottom Hull in January, improved them and nearly kept them up.

He got sacked at Watford when they were 10th in the league, now they’re a lofty 9th.

Also, conveniently ignored the three clubs he managed before these. He’s had 6 months at us, put the knives away.

Watford were in freefall. The knives aren’t really out. Just saying he’s unproven and has done very little so far to prove himself here

I’m happy for him to get time. He should start next season barring a terrible second half to this season. However we are surely allowed to say it’s been shit so far from him

January 02, 2019, 01:08:44 AM
Reply #910

Waltzer

I disagree with this totally. We have not got in a top class manager, the last 3 managers have all done ok ish at other clubs, then they came to the biggest clubs they have ever been at.. we should have went and got a top class manager, who has been there and done it.. someone with experience at playing at the top level.
Silva looks as lost as Martinez did, the players just don't seem up for it, they haven't since the Liverpool match, regardless of if its a hangover from that match or something else, he (Silva) should be able to motivate his team.

today was as bad as big sam in charge, the difference is under big sam, we played the long ball game so most of our passes were off anyway...
Koeman had managed Benfica, Ajax, PSV and Valencia and was Barca assistant manager, not to mention his playing stats. Allardyce was England manager, albeit for 1 game, this isn't a massive step up for either of them and you could argue its not even their biggest jobs?

January 02, 2019, 01:22:17 AM
Reply #911

Lxxx

It’s about the long-term, though.

Implementing a coaching style like Silva’s is far more likely to deliver long-term success than the archaic methods and tactics employed by the other two.

Whether that long-term success is delivered by Silva is very much up for debate, however the club is moving in the right direction by going down this modern path, and then if Silva doesn’t work out we already have a club and a core group of players that are already versed in these types of training and tactical methods.

Of course it’s about remodelling a tired old squad and making it fit for purpose and he quite rightly gets a free swing the first six months to settle in.

However the second half of the season has to have some form of expectations attached to it, surely. He’ll obviously see the season out all I’m pointing out is that the next six months have to evidence some form of tangible progress to evaluate against in the summer.

Maybe we’ll see it, hopefully so, but it’s not as if it’s a given that it’ll happen. The fact the jury is still out on him isn’t looking at things negatively, it’s just where we’re at presently.

January 02, 2019, 01:44:53 AM
Reply #912

Dr. Sponge

Watford were in freefall. The knives aren't really out. Just saying he's unproven and has done very little so far to prove himself here

I'm happy for him to get time. He should start next season barring a terrible second half to this season. However we are surely allowed to say it's been shit so far from him

It’s patchy. Promising and disappointing. He certainly needs to do better with the players we have, but it’s not shite.

Points-wise we are the same as last season, but last season’s style of play was never going to push us higher than 7th. We’re adopting a new style that the people in charge of the club have identified as the style they think we can push for Europe with in the seasons to come.

The squad is younger, quicker and more talented. We’ve gave the top clubs a proper fight in our games this season, we’ve just lacked the quality or made a mistake, whereas last season we were waiting for a bumming.

January 02, 2019, 02:07:11 AM
Reply #913

Evertonian in NC

But we need to give something back, it was like a morgue again today, absolutely nothing. The fans have just as big of a part to play as the players yet our heads go down faster than any other team in the league. I know its not great, but you see the impact a supportive set of fans have on the team at most other matches

While I agree ("supporter" should mean more than the Americanized "fan"), this is at least partly an inevitable by-product of bringing in a charlatan like Allardyce, no matter how temporarily.  It was desperate and embarrassing.  People are know much more cynical and skeptical as a result.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

January 02, 2019, 02:09:29 AM
Reply #914

Waltzer

While I agree ("supporter" should mean more than the Americanized "fan"), this is at least partly an inevitable by-product of bringing in a charlatan like Allardyce, no matter how temporarily.  It was desperate and embarrassing.  People are know much more cynical and skeptical as a result.
Allardyce isn't the problem, been like it for years