October 21, 2019, 04:58:38 PM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 128713 times)

January 02, 2019, 02:11:10 AM
Reply #915

Evertonian in NC

Allardyce isn't the problem, been like it for years

I was thinking it was much worse this season than 2+ years ago, but I defer to you actually being on the ground.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 02:13:56 AM by Evertonian in NC »
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

January 02, 2019, 02:14:44 AM
Reply #916

Waltzer

To be fair I've always thought of it being one of the more quiet stadiums and we are the most fickle fans, however, like people have alluded to, on certain occasions its a very special place but it's far too infrequent imo

Sent from my CLT-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

January 02, 2019, 02:28:06 AM
Reply #917

sam of the south

Of course it’s about remodelling a tired old squad and making it fit for purpose and he quite rightly gets a free swing the first six months to settle in.

However the second half of the season has to have some form of expectations attached to it, surely. He’ll obviously see the season out all I’m pointing out is that the next six months have to evidence some form of tangible progress to evaluate against in the summer.

Maybe we’ll see it, hopefully so, but it’s not as if it’s a given that it’ll happen. The fact the jury is still out on him isn’t looking at things negatively, it’s just where we’re at presently.

Mate, we’ve been abysmal since Moyes left in reality, and we were getting gradually more stale under him for his last three years.

So, one bounce season with Martinez apart (where we scored an abnormal amount of wonder strikes) we have been a mixture of average to shite for the last nine years.

Giving a new manager, who has a completely different managerial style and coaching outlook to the previous incumbents, just 8-9 months and two transfer windows to turn us around both in terms of results and whilst trying to implement a more attacking and progressive type of football reeks of short-termism.
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

January 02, 2019, 02:31:43 AM
Reply #918

gizzblue

I am at the game every week I can get there and a good few away games

and would that be sitting on my arse you would mean

throwing my toys cos we lost lol I would not have many left then would I

Seeing my/your arse. .is a colloquial term for getting upset ....good for you being at the game as much as possible ....actually try to watch the game ....don't just base the match on the outcome or no manager would last five minutes ....you claim you go  enough to have seen us play well and lose before.....although today wasn't that, we were still better than our opponents who scored through a mistake . :thumbsup:
Born not made a blue .

January 02, 2019, 02:41:25 AM
Reply #919

Lxxx

Mate, we’ve been abysmal since Moyes left in reality, and we were getting gradually more stale under him for his last three years.

So, one bounce season with Martinez apart (where we scored an abnormal amount of wonder strikes) we have been a mixture of average to shite for the last nine years.

Giving a new manager, who hhas a completely different managerial style and coaching outlook  to the previous incumbents, just 8-9 months and two transfer windows to turn us around both in terms of results and whilst trying to implement a more attacking and progressive type of football reeks of short-termism.

I’m asking what are our expectations for the next six months and if it’s reasonable to expect to see some consistency of play and results in this time.

If as you say we’ve been stagnating for the past decade (I’d argue it’s more like 30 years) then are we expecting too much from any manager we have to buck that trend, in the face of the competition ahead of us?

January 02, 2019, 03:22:18 AM
Reply #920

sam of the south

I’m asking what are our expectations for the next six months and if it’s reasonable to expect to see some consistency of play and results in this time.

If as you say we’ve been stagnating for the past decade (I’d argue it’s more like 30 years) then are we expecting too much from any manager we have to buck that trend, in the face of the competition ahead of us?

I feel you on the 30 years comparatively to our mid 80’s success, but we were doing pretty good for a four or five year period under Moyes (albeit still surrendering meekly to the Shite, Chelsea, Arsenal, and United)

I think it’s reasonable to expect stylistic consistency in the next four to five months, and to get to the position where we are creating more good chances per game than we are giving up in the vast majority of matches that we play.

I still expect there to be inconsistency in the results, but if the performances are there I will be happy.
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

January 02, 2019, 04:47:48 AM
Reply #921

Evertonian in NC

I have only two objective goals for this season:

1) Finish in the top half of the Table; and
2) Beat the Shite at Goodison

Anything else is gravy.  Yes, I left out "Cup run" as I would probably punt it.  We showed this past week we don't do well with a compressed schedule, and I would worry about added exposure to injury.

Everything else is subjective (laying the foundation), and we won't have any idea how to evaluate until the next 2-3 seasons.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

January 02, 2019, 07:01:44 AM
Reply #922

bluenuck

I think his playbook is all used up... until personnel changes are made.

Last two games have shown how teams not in the top 6 will play us, and they’ve both nailed it. Any team with any sort of decent structure and decent players will play like Leicester and bright did all day long and just wait for that mistake or set piece goal.

January 02, 2019, 01:46:33 PM
Reply #923

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
He does have to find a way to start getting points or life will get very tough for him with fume/press. Maybe loan an OK cm and start 3 in the middle.

If you crowd Gomes then we’ve no midfield, and hitting the ball to wide forwards and hoping it sticks isn’t working.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 02, 2019, 02:44:43 PM
Reply #924

Lxxx

I think he's caught in a dilemma now as his preferred way of playing, with the players we have, isn't working. Sam thought he only had one way of getting points with his set of midfielders and it led to a dire set up but it worked better, points-wise, to a degree.

He needs to fashion a system out of the talent we undoubtedly have. Just persevering with the same is clearly easy to play and get a result against.

January 02, 2019, 03:24:54 PM
Reply #925

Hawkandro

Personally, I think we lack an identity as a football club; we have no ingrained style. Been that way since Moyes left really, but you can put that down to having 4 managers in relatively quick succession.

The worry I have is that the teams below us, although they don't have quality on the ball, they are willing to fight for their lives and make it hard for teams, and the teams above us have the quality to open teams up and attack with ease. We don't seem to have either; we exist in this football vacuum. Christ, most of our players cannot make a pass 5 yards to another player in blue, let alone score enough goals to overturn deficits.

Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

January 02, 2019, 04:09:43 PM
Reply #926

stirlingblue

Silva’s biggest problem is Sigurdsson for me.

In the 4-2-3-1 that we’re playing the number 10 needs to be demanding the ball and dictating play, and that’s not who Sigurdsson is. He’s obviously a very good player but he works best by drifting in and out of games and being on the end of a move rather than the creator.

I don’t think Silva is flexible enough to build a system that works with Sigurdsson, but I also don’t think he has the balls to drop a player that cost that much.

We’ll continue to be ineffective, but Sigurdsson’s individual stats will look good as they have done for his whole career.

January 02, 2019, 06:04:44 PM
Reply #927

UnsyisaRhino

Silva’s biggest problem is Sigurdsson for me.

In the 4-2-3-1 that we’re playing the number 10 needs to be demanding the ball and dictating play, and that’s not who Sigurdsson is. He’s obviously a very good player but he works best by drifting in and out of games and being on the end of a move rather than the creator.

I don’t think Silva is flexible enough to build a system that works with Sigurdsson, but I also don’t think he has the balls to drop a player that cost that much.

We’ll continue to be ineffective, but Sigurdsson’s individual stats will look good as they have done for his whole career.

He needs someone who can play the pass into him when he finds space, or makes the run in behind....and since losing Barry we haven't had a midfielder who can do it.

January 02, 2019, 06:09:57 PM
Reply #928

UnsyisaRhino

I thought kenny actually moved the ball a bit quicker than Coleman has been, and he was a bit more proactive about moving the ball forwards.

Coleman has fallen into a terrible pattern of taking 3 touches instead of one, and then playing back to Keane. Oh and then complaining about not having any options.

January 02, 2019, 06:13:51 PM
Reply #929

stirlingblue

I thought kenny actually moved the ball a bit quicker than Coleman has been, and he was a bit more proactive about moving the ball forwards.

Coleman has fallen into a terrible pattern of taking 3 touches instead of one, and then playing back to Keane. Oh and then complaining about not having any options.

It's a slight case of rose tinted glasses with Kenny because Coleman has been so laborious.

Although he did play the ball faster, Kenny had the worse pass accuracy on the pitch at something like 34%.