October 24, 2019, 10:32:18 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 129586 times)

January 02, 2019, 09:16:24 PM
Reply #945

Bluedylan

Not even find this a little interesting “likely to be subject of Premier League sanctions”?

We're Everton. We were born with Premier League sanctions.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

January 02, 2019, 09:20:30 PM
Reply #946

Lxxx

He needs to start making some brave decisions if we are to find a system that works. He can't keep on trying to shoehorn the usual suspects into a team that can't seem to keep a clean sheet, we're just too easy to play against. I know it won't sit well with a lot of fans but we need to set up to keep it a lot tighter in the middle and hit teams on the break. At least until we get players who can play his way.

If we don't get those players in this month and he still continues to stick with a system that doesn't work for us then the boo boys will be out sooner rather than later.

January 02, 2019, 09:35:32 PM
Reply #947

kramer0

He needs to start making some brave decisions if we are to find a system that works. He can't keep on trying to shoehorn the usual suspects into a team that can't seem to keep a clean sheet, we're just too easy to play against. I know it won't sit well with a lot of fans but we need to set up to keep it a lot tighter in the middle and hit teams on the break. At least until we get players who can play his way.

If we don't get those players in this month and he still continues to stick with a system that doesn't work for us then the boo boys will be out sooner rather than later.

He seems to have the sort of personality where players will run through walls for him. He could absolutely get this group to commit to a cagier style and we'd probably control more games and win more points that way.

I'm not sure how likely we are to assemble a team of "players who can play his way" if "his way" is this 4-2-4 business. You need serious quality from the two midfielders to make that system work. They both need to be strong defensively (watch any of our recent matches in this setup to get an idea of how much space the midfield two needs to cover) and at least one of them has to have genuine quality on the ball.

January 02, 2019, 09:46:04 PM
Reply #948

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
He seems to have the sort of personality where players will run through walls for him. He could absolutely get this group to commit to a cagier style and we'd probably control more games and win more points that way.

I'm not sure how likely we are to assemble a team of "players who can play his way" if "his way" is this 4-2-4 business. You need serious quality from the two midfielders to make that system work. They both need to be strong defensively (watch any of our recent matches in this setup to get an idea of how much space the midfield two needs to cover) and at least one of them has to have genuine quality on the ball.

Think part of the problem (and it’s repeated in much of the nationals) is that there’s this clamour for “attacking” football.

We’ve been better away from home as it is more acceptable to be compact and then exploit the space (see Leicester - side note a bit odd that journalists and pundits haven’t got on to the fact that Leicester aren’t good vs dross as they can’t sit and play on the break).

But at home, with all the furore last year of what is “expected” I think it’s been drummed into Silva that he must be seen to be having a go.

Spurs game is a good example.

We played as if we were playing Fulham, say, whereas we should have approached it like an away game and kept it tight in the middle.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a bit of a remit to get the most out of Sig given the outlay etc.

With all that there needs to be less of the melodrama that we seem to wheel out every season as soon as things not going exactly to plan, to allow those sorts of tweaks to be made without any extra pressure other than what is inherent with the job.

January 02, 2019, 10:26:34 PM
Reply #949

Normm

So many players look tired and off-form. Gomez needs a rest and is way off his best. Gana was certainly missed in midfield. Digne has been most consistent and class. Keane has certainly improved on last year's form. Altogether, we have obviously lost our way and the Christmas period allows little room for recovery. So, now it's time to get the train back on the rails.

I look back to the form we had before the international break when we began to play with quality and as a team, getting fairly good results. Even in the game against Liverpool we were matching them until the fluke goal right at the end. We had some great play against Burnley, but that was a bit deceptive. Against Leicester, there were so many back passes and sideways passes it was like watching rugby.  That's got to stop. There must be more movement up front and players in midfield not always looking to play it safe, but knowing where and how to pass the ball with anticipation. They same goes for intercepts - Gana anticipates and sets a great example.

Now we go again. The team knows what it can achieve when they all play with belief. They just need that grit and determination. I believe Silva can turn this form around and do well for the rest of the season. It's still a work in progress. Patience will be rewarded.

January 02, 2019, 11:42:21 PM
Reply #950

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 11:47:28 PM by brap2 »
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 03, 2019, 12:55:18 AM
Reply #951

UnsyisaRhino

It's a slight case of rose tinted glasses with Kenny because Coleman has been so laborious.

Although he did play the ball faster, Kenny had the worse pass accuracy on the pitch at something like 34%.

That stats lower than I would have guessed for sure, wonder what his passing stats where like compared to Coleman in terms of crosses and passes around the 18 yard box.

Is there anywhere that has that kind of info?

January 03, 2019, 01:06:19 AM
Reply #952

Mouse

NSNO Subscriber
Between work, family Christmas and mostly off the grid in the Lakes for a week I haven't seen a game since Newcastle. Not often I feel lucky missing Goodison but December seems to have been a nightmare. I'm resisting the temptation to catch up on shite we have been and holding on to the belief  that we are just 6 months and one transfer window into a new regime. I hope that's not mindless optimism.

It's easy to forget what it was like watching Allardyce's idea of football on a cold winters night.
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.

January 03, 2019, 01:07:44 AM
Reply #953

KoemansNumberTens

I know it's been remarked on before, but it is a bit mad how you've popped back up at the low point in the season. Massively coincidental, I'm sure.

It’s pretty much all been a low point other than an odd game here and there.

January 03, 2019, 01:46:58 AM
Reply #954

bluenuck

The guy stop bunching is back with more good Everton content

https://stopbunching.blogspot.com/2019/01/how-to-fix-everton-part-1.html?m=1

Edit : part two :

https://stopbunching.blogspot.com/2019/01/how-to-fix-everton-part-2-attacking.html?m=1

Part 2 makes a ton of sense. Always liked that about Barkleys game. The driving forward.

January 03, 2019, 01:57:16 AM
Reply #955

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Part 2 makes a ton of sense. Always liked that about Barkleys game. The driving forward.

Yeah same!

Turn on the ball in the middle of the park and drive 30-40 yards into the opposition half.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 01:58:46 AM by brap2 »
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 03, 2019, 02:01:07 AM
Reply #956

eyesalwaysblue

Free the 3.......centre backs, he was on to something.
I still despise Clive Thomas..

January 03, 2019, 02:03:25 AM
Reply #957

bluenuck

Yeah same!

Turn on the ball in the middle of the park and drive 30-40 yards into the opposition half.

Yup. Sometimes the end product wasn't there, and that was frustrating, but just that turn and drive alone would be massive right now.

January 03, 2019, 02:03:31 AM
Reply #958

sam of the south

It’s made me miss him even more
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

January 03, 2019, 02:12:08 AM
Reply #959

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
missing Barkley HAHAHAHHA
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos lá Everton!