September 20, 2019, 04:10:53 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 104100 times)

indiantoffee1975 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

September 17, 2018, 09:25:31 PM
Read 104100 times

Gash

Global Moderator
It was pretty universal that we’ve had some sort of good start (before yesterday)

No it wasn't.

September 19, 2018, 06:56:22 PM
Reply #1

Gash

Global Moderator
In the current climate though it really isn't that much of a mad shout.

Take a hiding at Arsenal and the daggers from the media will already be out.

Nah, it's a mad shout. Players suspended and injured, team still gelling, we're bound to have bad performances until we get a more settled team playing the way Silva wants us to. Even Moshiri being a bit mental at times knows we can't just keep chasing managers then sacking them as soon as things get a bit ropey, not that they are at the moment anyway.

September 19, 2018, 09:38:58 PM
Reply #2

Gash

Global Moderator
He didn’t last in the immediate previous season, and yet it’s a mad shout that may not last this.

Wouldn’t have been a mad shout if I’d said it before a ball had been kicked to be honest.

What is the average life span of a mid table prem manager these days? 1.5 seasons maybe?

Chances are he'd still be there if we hadn't gone after him or at least seen the season out but Watford aren't exactly reknowned for sticking by their managers anyway.

But your not basing it on the average Premier League manager's life span, you're basing it on a couple of poor performances with 10-12 players currently not available for one reason or another.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 09:40:56 PM by Gash »

December 23, 2018, 11:48:13 PM
Reply #3

Gash

Global Moderator
I think someone said earlier in the season that at times, the way Silva sets up, occasionally we'll take some hidings. Well done whoever it was that said it, this has been a proper hiding.

December 24, 2018, 01:52:16 AM
Reply #4

Gash

Global Moderator
I need GLewis coaching me through life.

I don't mean to make you uncomfortable in any way, and I mean it purely platonically, but I think I'd make better life decisions and have a better perspective if you lived next door to me.

I bet he'd even bring your wheelie bin in if he's home from work before you. :)

January 02, 2019, 06:21:44 PM
Reply #5

Gash

Global Moderator
Oh and then complaining about not having any options.

Several times Kenny held his arms out in frustration when he had the ball and no options in front of him.

I think people are trying to see a performance that wasn't there. He didn't put in claim for the place if Coleman has been dropped rather than just rested.

January 03, 2019, 02:42:10 AM
Reply #6

Gash

Global Moderator
Barkley only did those drives forward on the odd occasion and often ended up checking his run and passing sideways or backwards.

January 03, 2019, 02:58:55 AM
Reply #7

Gash

Global Moderator
Who needs him when we have Andre Gomes who creates literally 5x fewer chances per 90 minutes.

I never mentioned Gomes but Barkley didn't do these mythical 30-40 yard drives or left footers into the top corner on a regular basis.

He's made his decision and gone so there's no point dreaming what might have been, although as the seasons tick by it's become unlikely he'll ever become the player people thought he would.

January 21, 2019, 02:22:44 PM
Reply #8

Gash

Global Moderator
Haha, so we should sack Silva because Everton Mint was on holiday in Portugal once and found a pube in his soup and the waiter wasn't chuffed when he complained about it.

January 25, 2019, 08:29:06 PM
Reply #9

Gash

Global Moderator
Little bit of midfield missing piece miserableness from my boy Stop Bunching! This morning :

Wayne Rooney (27 starts) + Ross Barkley (70 starts) scored combined 23 with 21 assists from midfield role.
Since then all our midfielders Siggy+Klasseen+Gana+Schneiderlin+Davies+Gomes+Bolasie+Bernard+Walcott have 238 starts, 24 goals, 17 assists combined.

It's a bit skewed that stat though. Fair enough it's meant to highlight that we haven't replaced our goalscorers but Klaassen hardly played, Gana, Schneirderlin, Davies, Gomes, Bolasie and Bernard have never been prolific scorers. You might as well add Keane and Pickford into that just to make it look really, really bad. I'm guessing it's over a fairly staggered period given that Barkley's 70 starts must have been over a two season period prior to last season? What's the stats for just Sigurdsson and Walcott with all the others taken out?

February 23, 2019, 06:37:33 PM
Reply #10

Gash

Global Moderator
Well I guess the fact we've agreed to pay £4m compensation suggests it wasn't perfectly legitimate.

It's all been a bit of a storm in a tea cup. Despite predictions of doom and gloom, points deduction, relegation and liquidation (ok, I'm exaggerating now ;) ) the fact the Premier League were willing to let the two clubs try and sort it out themselves suggests it was a fairly minor issue and more hassle than it was worth for them to get involved.

£4m compo, not even a slap on the wrist and now we can draw a line under it and move on.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 06:48:55 PM by Gash »

April 28, 2019, 05:13:30 PM
Reply #11

Gash

Global Moderator
playing more direct - pickford playing more passes direct to last third rather than playing sideways to digne/coleman - resulting in faster football and not slow build ups that peter out haflwayup the pitch? nod

You started a similar thread yesterday, it was merged into the 120 page thread already discussing tactics, same as this one is.