August 25, 2019, 05:29:42 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 95261 times)

74Blue and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

January 04, 2019, 01:17:44 AM
Reply #1005

markB

Feel like Sigurdsson is getting a bit of harsh criticsm on here at the moment. I lost count of the times he made a run or found space at the weekend only for someone to play a safer pass.

Only Bernard and maybe lookman seem able to play the ball into him in dangerous areas, everyone else plays safe or takes too long to look up...and as we don't go direct to the striker for him to lay it off...He's starved of possession.

when you buy a player for that price you would think everyone would know his best spot in the team , but you could ask right now and get 5/6 answers
when we got him a lot was said about what he would give to the team with set plays (we are not seeing that at all ) his goal assist or lack of form open play was over look by most pointing out his over all goal assist now that has dried up it leaves you with not much

for me he is a plod CF or in the old manu  442 side he would be a poor Beckham

January 04, 2019, 01:51:40 AM
Reply #1006

plumber

Feel like Sigurdsson is getting a bit of harsh criticsm on here at the moment. I lost count of the times he made a run or found space at the weekend only for someone to play a safer pass.

Only Bernard and maybe lookman seem able to play the ball into him in dangerous areas, everyone else plays safe or takes too long to look up...and as we don't go direct to the striker for him to lay it off...He's starved of possession.

Agree with that. I think Silva's approach is a bigger problem than Gylfi himself.
Here is a good read about it and our other problems:
https://royalbluemersey.sbnation.com/2019/1/3/18165282/everton-tactical-analysis-marco-silva-gylfi-sigurdsson-crossing-wingers-striker-transfers
Allow me to illustrate this with a simple stat — take a look at Gylfi Sigurdsson’s touches per 90 over the last four seasons.

2015-16: 56 touches per 90
    2016-17: 51.5 touches per 90
    2017-18: 48.2 touches per 90
    2018-19: 48.6 touches per 90

That’s right — a Swansea team that had significantly less possession on average than 2018-19 Everton still did a better job of feeding Sigurdsson than Silva’s team does. Hell, Ronald Koeman and Sam Allardyce basically got Gylfi on the ball as much as Silva does — and Koeman used him on the left wing and Allardyce’s team barely ever had the ball.

January 04, 2019, 08:11:32 PM
Reply #1007

stirlingblue

Sig’s individual numbers look good as the 10 but it’s to the detriment of the team.

By his nature Sig drifts in and out of games in an explosive way (goals and assists) but isn’t actually involved that much other than those moments.

For our system to work like Silva seems to want it to, the 10 needs to be much more involved on the ball and finding space between the lines to take passes from Gana/Gomes. Otherwise, we end up like we have been this season with all the play going out to the fullbacks and lumping crosses into the box all game as Sigurdsson essentially plays like a second striker once we have the ball.

Sig on the left might be a compromise for Silva as otherwise he’s got big decisions to make on his preferred system vs our most expensive player as currently the two don’t work together.

January 04, 2019, 08:13:25 PM
Reply #1008

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Agree with that. I think Silva's approach is a bigger problem than Gylfi himself.
Here is a good read about it and our other problems:
https://royalbluemersey.sbnation.com/2019/1/3/18165282/everton-tactical-analysis-marco-silva-gylfi-sigurdsson-crossing-wingers-striker-transfers

Think this is an interesting point.

Reckon Sigurdsson is a good counter attack player. In a sweeping move he can pop it off then appear on the end of a pass in the middle of a disorganised defence, but he’s not good when defences are set and he has to hunt the ball to unlock.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 04, 2019, 08:36:16 PM
Reply #1009

eyesalwaysblue

Sig’s individual numbers look good as the 10 but it’s to the detriment of the team.

By his nature Sig drifts in and out of games in an explosive way (goals and assists) but isn’t actually involved that much other than those moments.

For our system to work like Silva seems to want it to, the 10 needs to be much more involved on the ball and finding space between the lines to take passes from Gana/Gomes. Otherwise, we end up like we have been this season with all the play going out to the fullbacks and lumping crosses into the box all game as Sigurdsson essentially plays like a second striker once we have the ball.

Sig on the left might be a compromise for Silva as otherwise he’s got big decisions to make on his preferred system vs our most expensive player as currently the two don’t work together.
His numbers look better as a consequence of not having a forward who is any where near prolific as well, and when we are under pressure with Walcott not tracking back to help out and Seamus looking like he is still struggling after injury, we are left easy to stride through, i'd like to see how Mcarthy would get on trying to beef us up in midfield whilst we are struggling with this, unless there are plans to try and solve it from elsewhere this window, it needs a re think but to be fair to Silva he hasn't been shy to try different things so can't criticise him as he still has plenty to upgrade on from the previous shambles.
I still despise Clive Thomas..

January 04, 2019, 10:11:20 PM
Reply #1010

KoemansNumberTens

Should never have signed him and if we get a reasonable offer he should be sold. He’s no more than an impact sub for a side with ambitions to actually control games

January 04, 2019, 10:48:16 PM
Reply #1011

markB

on the right

January 04, 2019, 11:38:40 PM
Reply #1012

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
on the right

Wouldn’t be against it if it meant Bernard 10 or another CM coming in. Would hate it if it was for 5 atb.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 05, 2019, 01:59:46 AM
Reply #1013

eyesalwaysblue

Should never have signed him and if we get a reasonable offer he should be sold. He’s no more than an impact sub for a side with ambitions to actually control games
I'm not a Sigg fan either, but i take it it never worked out with that bird?
I still despise Clive Thomas..

January 05, 2019, 05:13:44 AM
Reply #1014

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Final part of the stop bunching series of blogs

https://stopbunching.blogspot.com/2019/01/fixing-everton-part-5-final-lineup.html?m=1

Really good 5 little blogs looking at the current squad build, the players on contract, and how they might be gradually managed out for younger more appropriate replacements for a 4-diamond-2 like spurs (closest to our mix of players) and eventually a 4-3-3 (final team for the silva/brands project).

January 05, 2019, 01:37:45 PM
Reply #1015

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Final part of the stop bunching series of blogs

https://stopbunching.blogspot.com/2019/01/fixing-everton-part-5-final-lineup.html?m=1

Really good 5 little blogs looking at the current squad build, the players on contract, and how they might be gradually managed out for younger more appropriate replacements for a 4-diamond-2 like spurs (closest to our mix of players) and eventually a 4-3-3 (final team for the silva/brands project).

Yes been reading those.

Think supports the idea that 4–2-4 is getting most out of Sigurdsson but that it also needs Gueye to cover the gaps which then brings about their own issues (picked up in there).

Silva obviously hoped that he could resurrect Schneiderlin as this would have provided much more flexibility in midfield shape.

Right side is an issue as no one is playing well.

Aside from Richarlison, the LW selection hasn’t brought much obvious, must be picked all the time success.

That hasn’t been highlighted as much because Digne has played well so he’s taking the pressure there.

Not the case the other side which has resulted in Walcott becoming a performance bogey man.

Was a shame that Lookman got that knock after the city game as he played really well when he came on.

Overall the point is reinforced that the squad isn’t balanced rather than having no capable players.

Will be interesting to see in the summer how these areas are addressed.

January 05, 2019, 06:10:55 PM
Reply #1016

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Yes been reading those.

Think supports the idea that 4–2-4 is getting most out of Sigurdsson but that it also needs Gueye to cover the gaps which then brings about their own issues (picked up in there).

Silva obviously hoped that he could resurrect Schneiderlin as this would have provided much more flexibility in midfield shape.

Right side is an issue as no one is playing well.

Aside from Richarlison, the LW selection hasn’t brought much obvious, must be picked all the time success.

That hasn’t been highlighted as much because Digne has played well so he’s taking the pressure there.

Not the case the other side which has resulted in Walcott becoming a performance bogey man.

Was a shame that Lookman got that knock after the city game as he played really well when he came on.

Overall the point is reinforced that the squad isn’t balanced rather than having no capable players.

Will be interesting to see in the summer how these areas are addressed.

Yeah can remember you mentioning spurs when we were struggling under Koeman actually, and we’ve added plauers who are a step towards it.

Think you/stop bunching are right that the issue isn’t that all the players are terrible, it’s that the squad is all messy and bloated and uneven in terms of styles and attributes.

Personally think he should cut his losses on Schneiderlin and buy a good 6. There’s just too much gone on with him and too many times he’s been tried and failed. Someone needs to get Paredes from Zenit at some point...

Think reading that series has given me a bit of like space from the idea that we need to get to 4-3-3 immediately and at all costs.

Suppose it depends what happens in Jan, but it may well be that in a several-year rebuilding process you can’t immediately play your favourite formation.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 06:22:39 PM by brap2 »

January 05, 2019, 10:06:07 PM
Reply #1017

NickNack

Would have thought Gomes could have done with a full game off..

January 05, 2019, 11:29:25 PM
Reply #1018

Lxxx

Would have thought Gomes could have done with a full game off..

I’m not sure Silva trusts many of our players at the minute and Gomes seems to be one of the few he does.

January 05, 2019, 11:50:18 PM
Reply #1019

KoemansNumberTens

I'm not a Sigg fan either, but i take it it never worked out with that bird?

Yeah it’s all good thanks. Just when that first glow of love goes I came back to moan about everything.