October 22, 2019, 01:28:04 PM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 129013 times)

January 06, 2019, 08:43:31 PM
Reply #1035

sam of the south

Doesn’t have the players to play how he wants.

I reckon only Digne, Gomes, Bernard and Richarlison can implement his game plan.

Needs to be brave now and fuck Sigurdsson off to go 4-3-3, or put Bernard number 10.

Using that Stop Bunching idea we could implement this sort of formation if Sigurdsson held his position, or maybe Davies instead

Pickford
                        Mina Zouma
                             Gana                   
         Kenny Gomes Sigurdsson Digne         
                           Bernard                     
                   Lookman Richarlison
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 09:04:09 PM by sam of the south »
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

January 07, 2019, 06:47:32 PM
Reply #1036

Shogun

Administrator
It’s going to take a bit of time to get things right. Results haven’t been good lately and they haven’t been good at home all season long.

However it’s clear we’re progressing. I haven’t really come out of a match this season disappointed with our approach even in defeat.

The manner of which we played at Anfield is something I’ve never seen from an Everton side going there and that’s about two decades long now.

Brands is doing the business off the pitch and we just need to bide our time and hope that allows things to come together on the pitch.

People like to moan and there’s plenty to moan about of late but you need to see the bigger picture.

January 07, 2019, 07:01:13 PM
Reply #1037

stirlingblue

However it's clear we're progressing. I haven't really come out of a match this season disappointed with our approach even in defeat.

Im not sure that I agree with that part.

Defensively we’ve gone backwards, conceding so many big chances from set pieces.

Going forward I’m still not certain what our plan of attack is when we’re not the counterattacking team, and I’ve certainly came away disappointed after watching us play wide all game lumping aimless crosses into the box.

Silva got a lot of credit early on for attacking lineups and our fans responded well to his pressing but I think that credit is starting to wear out and we need to see signs of what our long term tactics are going to be.

January 07, 2019, 07:16:12 PM
Reply #1038

Bluedylan

People love to say things like 'this season is about transition' and 'he needs a few transfer windows to build his team', but then when it actually comes to the cold, hard business of doing just that and giving the manager time, without pressure, they can't do it.

They're hyper-analysing and hyper-criticising every performance, and talking about him 'being under pressure' or credit 'wearing out' throughout the season.

One of the worst things about the social media society is that obsessiveness and inability to have patience.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

January 07, 2019, 07:26:52 PM
Reply #1039

Shogun

Administrator
Im not sure that I agree with that part.

Defensively we’ve gone backwards, conceding so many big chances from set pieces.

Going forward I’m still not certain what our plan of attack is when we’re not the counterattacking team, and I’ve certainly came away disappointed after watching us play wide all game lumping aimless crosses into the box.

Silva got a lot of credit early on for attacking lineups and our fans responded well to his pressing but I think that credit is starting to wear out and we need to see signs of what our long term tactics are going to be.

I'm talking more about our mentality than anything. Silva's teams for better or worse are brave and I think we've seen that several times this season and we need that mentality if we're to ever join the big 6.

Sure there's been issues tactically but until Silva can get the exact players to suit his system then that'll happen.

Pep Guardiola is the best manager in the world but look at his first season at Man City which was awful (by their lofty standards) but he was able to sign the likes of Walker, Mendy, Laporte, Ederson etc and that allowed him to show how good his system is.

Unfortunately we don't have those resources but need to be patient all the same.

January 07, 2019, 07:32:29 PM
Reply #1040

KoemansNumberTens

I'm talking more about our mentality than anything. Silva's teams for better or worse are brave and I think we've seen that several times this season and we need that mentality if we're to ever join the big 6.

Sure there's been issues tactically but until Silva can get the exact players to suit his system then that'll happen.

Pep Guardiola is the best manager in the world but look at his first season at Man City which was awful (by their lofty standards) but he was able to sign the likes of Walker, Mendy, Laporte, Ederson etc and that allowed him to show how good his system is.

Unfortunately we don't have those resources but need to be patient all the same.

Guardiola has pedigree though. We all knew he was a great manager. That buys you time. Silva might not be. He might be the wrong choice. There’s only so much time you can give when you’re not sure you’re on the right track

Also people (don’t think it was you) talking of clear progress are for me delusional. The sides we’ve beaten this season are all rubbish apart from Leicester who had 10 men. We’ve had a handful of good performances and so far worse results.

January 07, 2019, 07:35:33 PM
Reply #1041

Bluedylan

Guardiola has pedigree though. We all knew he was a great manager. That buys you time. Silva might not be. He might be the wrong choice. There’s only so much time you can give when you’re not sure you’re on the right track

Also people (don’t think it was you) talking of clear progress are for me delusional. The sides we’ve beaten this season are all rubbish apart from Leicester who had 10 men. We’ve had a handful of good performances and so far worse results.

Invest some more time into your burgeoning relationship.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

January 07, 2019, 07:46:01 PM
Reply #1042

gizzblue

Plain to see some posters still pining for the rotund one  lolol

seems they just can't wait for failure ,so they can be justified .. sad really from some our own alleged 'supoorters'...term used very lightly .

If you want to see the positive steps they are there ...shipped out the older squad members , actually have a really young squad base now ,trying to play a more progressive brand of football ...going into every match trying to win (not giving up before we get there) the games....been really unlucky against the teams above us so far ...for 90 mins went toe to toe with the redshite at their own bus stop .....and this is just after one window .
And still with half the shite squad we were left with from 3 shite managers .
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 07:49:43 PM by gizzblue »
Born not made a blue .

January 07, 2019, 07:48:01 PM
Reply #1043

Toffee_4_Life

Doesn’t have the players to play how he wants.

I reckon only Digne, Gomes, Bernard and Richarlison can implement his game plan.

Possibly Lookman too? Think (and hope) we'll start to see more of him second half of the season.

January 07, 2019, 07:50:35 PM
Reply #1044

Shogun

Administrator

We'll find out when we've had adequate time to get the personnel in that is needed for the way he wants to play. For me, the way Silva has us playing is drastically different to any of our recent managers, even our one 'ball-playing' manager Martinez didn't have his team press anything like Silva. So for me, until he can get a group of players in that he wants which is probably another two windows, we shouldn't be going overboard on criticism.

January 07, 2019, 07:56:45 PM
Reply #1045

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
We'll find out when we've had adequate time to get the personnel in that is needed for the way he wants to play. For me, the way Silva has us playing is drastically different to any of our recent managers, even our one 'ball-playing' manager Martinez didn't have his team press anything like Silva. So for me, until he can get a group of players in that he wants which is probably another two windows, we shouldn't be going overboard on criticism.

I agree, but he needs to find a somewhat pragmatic way to get points on the board to avoid unnecessary media chatter or fan nervousness.

If we land lower than maybe 8th the vultures will circle and that’s the last thing the club needs.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 07, 2019, 08:07:24 PM
Reply #1046

Bluedylan

The vultures can fuck off. They're more of a problem than the manager.

January 07, 2019, 08:18:54 PM
Reply #1047

Lxxx

But they’re not going to fuck off though are they? Every club has them. So like @brap2 says, there has to be a compromise between where he maybe wants to get to and where he finds himself at any one time.

It’s the pressures of modern day football with what’s at stake and you have to adapt accordingly.

January 07, 2019, 08:23:49 PM
Reply #1048

Bluedylan

But they’re not going to fuck off though are they? Every club has them. So like @brap2 says, there has to be a compromise between where he maybe wants to get to and where he finds himself at any one time.

It’s the pressures of modern day football with what’s at stake and you have to adapt accordingly.

My point is, let's not let the vultures become the majority voice at the club. Let's call them out when they're being short-termist, reactionary knobheads.

January 07, 2019, 08:24:47 PM
Reply #1049

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

I mean, I agree sure but that’s not real life is it?

It’s also perfectly understandable that your regular common and garden fan is frustrated as well - this attitude of like question it then you’re a knob is just as unhelpful I think.

To be honest I think it’s just how you’re taking your own frustrations out.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.