October 16, 2019, 04:46:51 PM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 126158 times)

January 07, 2019, 10:28:40 PM
Reply #1065

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Mods, ban this man.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 07, 2019, 10:34:06 PM
Reply #1066

Shogun

Administrator

January 07, 2019, 10:35:41 PM
Reply #1067

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Feel like I’ve been fishing now feel dead guilty
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 07, 2019, 10:54:29 PM
Reply #1068

Bluedylan

Feel like I’ve been fishing now feel dead guilty

Think I've stitched you up like a proverbial kipper with the charm offensive.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

January 07, 2019, 10:54:42 PM
Reply #1069

plumber

I’m not sure all the talks about long term project and plenty of time for Silva are true to be honest. It’s possible appointing Brands means quite the opposite. It’s easier now to get rid of the manager without destroying the team and find someone who would work more efficiently with the players DOF has bought.

Moshiri is no mug and can be ruthless. No one is calling for Silva’s head at the moment except a few half-witted individuals on Twitter, but if he won’t show real signs of progress until the end of the season he’ll be in trouble.

January 07, 2019, 11:01:31 PM
Reply #1070

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
I'm not sure all the talks about long term project and plenty of time for Silva are true to be honest. It's possible appointing Brands means quite the opposite. It's easier now to get rid of the manager without destroying the team and find someone who would work more efficiently with the players DOF has bought.

Moshiri is no mug and can be ruthless. No one is calling for Silva's head at the moment except a few half-witted individuals on Twitter, but if he won't show real signs of progress until the end of the season he'll be in trouble.
Another reason I have no issues with long term signings as long as its brands led
Simply simply lovely

January 07, 2019, 11:30:57 PM
Reply #1071

kramer0

I think it's fair to ask questions at this point.

Silva has a reputation for playing a counterattacking 4-3-3 with heavy emphasis on creating chances through the wingers. Brands' PSV were similar, although maybe less counterattacking since they were one of the top sides in the league. Yet most of what we've seen is a 4-2-4 that packs the final third, often putting too many bodies in the way of our wingers and leaving too many men forward when we lose the ball. What should be a third midfielder has consistently been pressing high up the pitch as a second striker (Silva even had Dowell doing this in preseason).

I can kind of see the argument that he doesn't have the players to play the 4-3-3 exactly how he wants but given our form over the past month, it really does beg the question as to why he doesn't try asking Sigurdsson to defend deeper.

January 08, 2019, 12:07:07 AM
Reply #1072

Lxxx

I’m not sure all the talks about long term project and plenty of time for Silva are true to be honest. It’s possible appointing Brands means quite the opposite. It’s easier now to get rid of the manager without destroying the team and find someone who would work more efficiently with the players DOF has bought.

Moshiri is no mug and can be ruthless. No one is calling for Silva’s head at the moment except a few half-witted individuals on Twitter, but if he won’t show real signs of progress until the end of the season he’ll be in trouble.

I think this is key and why it wouldn’t surprise me to see some sort of clauses inserted into any new managers contracts, post Brands, which means we don’t end up with a huge financial outlay and complete upheaval should Silva depart within 18 months.

Brands is buying younger, talented players and carrying out a long term project for the club. Silva is more of a Head Coach whose job it is to make the best of the talent he is provided and, whilst obviously getting a say into who they are, the final decision rests with Brands.

If Silva can’t get a consistent tune out out of them after another two rounds of transfers then he deserves to go quite frankly.

January 08, 2019, 12:17:16 AM
Reply #1073

gizzblue

Which games have we been really unlucky in. We were second best in every game against the top 6. Doesn't strike me as really unlucky. Think at best could argue we deserved a point at anfield but then we probably deserved to lose to Chelsea too

It's not pining for the last manage. Just wanting the progress to be less mythical and more real. We'll probably finish lower and with less points and half this forum will say that shit sandwich is really bacon.
Sure you were 1 who claimed any idiot could manage last season's squad to 7th

Second best against every top six side mmmmmm...fair enough dodgy pen at man u ..dodgy offside goal at arsenal ,drew with Chelsea. ..had our best game against the shite in ages . ...what did we do against all them last year ....a fucking lot worse,(we actually got a dodgy pen against the shite)  never got off the coach against most top six sides as our then manager had already decided he didn't see them as winnable .
last year we were easily the 'best of a bunch of shit' ,but some of the shit have spent and recruited well this season .
we have a few new players but still own a lot of shite not fit for the league 'this year' .. .but hey our new regime is only 6 months in .
knee-jerk and change yet again is back to square one .no?.

But by all means choose to only see the negatives. .....I've said it before me and you will never see eye to eye, your way to negative at every opportunity. ..when we were winning or playing better you never bothered posting ... (been mentioned by a few not just myself ) maybe if you did we would see you as more than just negatively moaning constantly . :thumbsup:
Born not made a blue .

January 08, 2019, 01:34:18 AM
Reply #1074

KoemansNumberTens

Second best against every top six side mmmmmm...fair enough dodgy pen at man u ..dodgy offside goal at arsenal ,drew with Chelsea. ..had our best game against the shite in ages . ...what did we do against all them last year ....a fucking lot worse,(we actually got a dodgy pen against the shite)  never got off the coach against most top six sides as our then manager had already decided he didn't see them as winnable .
last year we were easily the 'best of a bunch of shit' ,but some of the shit have spent and recruited well this season .
we have a few new players but still own a lot of shite not fit for the league 'this year' .. .but hey our new regime is only 6 months in .
knee-jerk and change yet again is back to square one .no?.

But by all means choose to only see the negatives. .....I've said it before me and you will never see eye to eye, your way to negative at every opportunity. ..when we were winning or playing better you never bothered posting ... (been mentioned by a few not just myself ) maybe if you did we would see you as more than just negatively moaning constantly . :thumbsup:

2 draws instead of 1 last season? We were second best in every game though we did play well against Liverpool and got a very good point against Chelsea

List all the sides we’ve beaten this season just so I can get an idea of the progress

January 08, 2019, 01:39:42 AM
Reply #1075

KoemansNumberTens

Brighton, palace, Fulham, Burnley, Southampton, Cardiff and Leicester (with 10 men) that’s the list of our wins in the league. Done nowt in the league cup and beat 1 lower league side in the fa cup so far

I don’t think our progress is as clear cup as a lot seem to want to make out

January 08, 2019, 01:45:36 AM
Reply #1076

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Brighton, palace, Fulham, Burnley, Southampton, Cardiff and Leicester (with 10 men) that’s the list of our wins in the league. Done nowt in the league cup and beat 1 lower league side in the fa cup so far

Depends if you’re open minded and willing to see the shades of grey.

Don’t think anyone is making out like we’ve been great but, to me, we’re better than we were last season.

Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

January 08, 2019, 01:59:01 AM
Reply #1077

gizzblue

So purely your basing your negativity on results alone 
thanks for proving my point . :thumbsup:   
Born not made a blue .

January 08, 2019, 02:54:15 AM
Reply #1078

KoemansNumberTens

Depends if you’re open minded and willing to see the shades of grey.

Don’t think anyone is making out like we’ve been great but, to me, we’re better than we were last season.

I’m willing to accept people seeing a brighter future. There’s a maybe it will work with silva and it really wouldn’t have long term with any of our last 3 managers. I don’t want him sacked. We have to give him time. All I’m saying is it’s been quite poor so far. Think that’s a pretty reasonable assessment as a whole.

January 08, 2019, 02:59:54 AM
Reply #1079

KoemansNumberTens

So purely your basing your negativity on results alone 
thanks for proving my point . :thumbsup:   

It’s not like we’ve played great either. You could probably point to 3 or 4 good performances and the rest have been pretty dull with a lot of extra flair players added since last season. I’m not claiming anything outlandish. Just that it’s been a disappointing season so far. Disappointing results. In the main performances have been a bit dull. Baring maybe gueye digne and richarlison the players have performed individually below what we’d hoped too.
It’s all been a little below par and a little disappointing. Again I’m not sure that’s an unreasonable assessment