October 21, 2019, 05:11:10 PM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 128716 times)

January 08, 2019, 03:03:48 AM
Reply #1080

plumber

I think people are confusing two different things here – progress on and off the pitch. Shipping out deadwood and signing some young talented players is great and hats off to Brands for that. Credit to Silva wherė it's due, he got a say in that (he definitely helped to persuade Richarlison etc).
But on the pitch we are still a bit shit.

1 year ago we beat Swansea with this starting 11 for fucks sake:

Pickford
Kenny – Holgate – Williams – Martina
             Gana – Schneiderlin
         Lennon – Rooney – Gylfi
                          DCL

It’s worrying that Silva with the players he got, can’t better results of Koeman/Rhino/Allardyce so far. And it's not only results. I can't see what is his philosophy apart from zonal marking which is failing miserably, sporadical pressing and millions off pointless crosses.
It's early days and he still has time to turn things around, but time is ticking.

January 08, 2019, 03:43:56 AM
Reply #1081

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
I think people are confusing two different things here – progress on and off the pitch. Shipping out deadwood and signing some young talented players is great and hats off to Brands for that. Credit to Silva wherė it's due, he got a say in that (he definitely helped to persuade Richarlison etc).
But on the pitch we are still a bit shit.

1 year ago we beat Swansea with this starting 11 for fucks sake:

Pickford
Kenny – Holgate – Williams – Martina
             Gana – Schneiderlin
         Lennon – Rooney – Gylfi
                          DCL

It’s worrying that Silva with the players he got, can’t better results of Koeman/Rhino/Allardyce so far. And it's not only results. I can't see what is his philosophy apart from zonal marking which is failing miserably, sporadical pressing and millions off pointless crosses.
It's early days and he still has time to turn things around, but time is ticking.

There has been progress on the pitch though. Have people forgot just how bad we were last season?

Arsenal- Home and away
Spurs- Home and away
City at home
United- Home and away
Southampton away
Atalanta- Home and away
Lyon- Home and away

And there’s probably more I could rattle off where we didn’t even compete.

Spurs aside we’ve competed in every game this season and there’s been a marked improvement in performances away from home, especially against the bigger teams.

Oh yeah, Burnley played us off the park as well. Twice.

Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

January 08, 2019, 04:19:06 AM
Reply #1082

sam of the south

There has been progress on the pitch though. Have people forgot just how bad we were last season?

Arsenal- Home and away
Spurs- Home and away
City at home
United- Home and away
Southampton away
Atalanta- Home and away
Lyon- Home and away

And there’s probably more I could rattle off where we didn’t even compete.

Spurs aside we’ve competed in every game this season and there’s been a marked improvement in performances away from home, especially against the bigger teams.

Oh yeah, Burnley played us off the park as well. Twice.

On fire tonight, sunbeam
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

January 08, 2019, 04:32:08 AM
Reply #1083

KoemansNumberTens

Barely had a shot against Brighton and Leicester though. We’ve been pretty crap quite a lot this season too. Granted we’ve maybe played better against the top 6 but I’m not sure we really deserved much more than the 1 point we got.

How much weight does not getting embarrassed as badly against the top 6 when as a whole we end up with similar results despite another transfer window with lots of exciting players brought in

It has to get a hell of a lot better or he’s failed

January 08, 2019, 04:34:29 AM
Reply #1084

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber

It has to get a hell of a lot better or he's failed

Surelt that needs more than one window, more than 6 months?
Simply simply lovely

January 08, 2019, 04:34:47 AM
Reply #1085

stirlingblue

It's all going a bit Brexit/Trump in here.

People are allowed to have concerns about the manager and what we're seeing on the pitch.

Calling people with valid concerns reactionary/stressheads/Big Sam lovers instead of having a proper conversation comes across as a bit elitist to me. The implication is that people are only that way because they don't understand/appreciate Silva's style of football.

Even if he doesn't have the personnel in yet, it would be nice to at least see some signs of how we’re eventually going to play. Plus the Sigurdsson situation is a big red flag for me at the moment as our team is completely unbalanced to fit him in.

January 08, 2019, 04:41:27 AM
Reply #1086

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Barely had a shot against Brighton and Leicester though. We’ve been pretty crap quite a lot this season too. Granted we’ve maybe played better against the top 6 but I’m not sure we really deserved much more than the 1 point we got.

How much weight does not getting embarrassed as badly against the top 6 when as a whole we end up with similar results despite another transfer window with lots of exciting players brought in

Yes, and how many times last season where we completley toothless and hopeless on the ball?

That’s the point I’m trying to make. We were a disaster last season, genuinely the worst I’ve ever seen us and it’s amazing that we finished 8th.

It’s going to take a lot more than six months to remedy that. Bringing in six new players, five from abroad needs time in itself.

There’s been good things, there’s been bad things, you can’t just choose to focus on certain aspects.

Take it all into account, bring in some nuance to your thinking and you’ll see there’s been genuine improvements.

You’re already talking about him being under pressure, about him failing and it’s ridiculous to moot such thoughts at the moment.

Nothing we’re seeing is worse than what’s gone on in the last four seasons.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 04:46:42 AM by TheRam »
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

January 08, 2019, 04:43:54 AM
Reply #1087

BlueBeagle

The only difference for me has been that we've actually gone after bigger teams. Unfortunately the results have been the same as when Fat Lad just had us just bend over and wait for it from them.

Games (especially recently) against lesser sides have been abysmal to the point that it reminds me of Martinezs horrendous final year. Slow, predicable, frustrating and absolutely no cutting edge.

It would be stupid to get rid of him now after a few months, especially considering the farcical way we eventually acquired his services, but surely there's got to be some sort of obvious improvement between now and the end of the season, regardless of who does/doesn't come in during the window.

January 08, 2019, 06:04:48 AM
Reply #1088

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
There’s a concerning lack of bottle on display from Evertonians these days. Like no bottle whatsoever.

January 08, 2019, 01:18:39 PM
Reply #1089

Lxxx

Whilst I agree we’ve not been great the time to judge really starts now. He’s justifiably had a free pass for the first 6 months but realistically now is when we should start seeing some consistency of performance.

The standard of player he’s working with is far better than last season (with this month probably helping to refine the squad further) so he should now have an idea of how to get the best out of them.

Perfectly reasonable to start assessing a lot closer from now on. You’d especially want to see improvement on the 1/3 of all goals conceded from set pieces as a minimum. 

January 08, 2019, 01:53:54 PM
Reply #1090

KoemansNumberTens

Surelt that needs more than one window, more than 6 months?

Of course it does but people are talking of progress I just don’t see. I’ve never suggested we sack him only it’s been shit so far. There’s a huge amount of this forum claiming it’s been better by a clear margin

January 08, 2019, 02:06:01 PM
Reply #1091

Mac934

Whilst I agree we’ve not been great the time to judge really starts now. He’s justifiably had a free pass for the first 6 months but realistically now is when we should start seeing some consistency of performance.

The standard of player he’s working with is far better than last season (with this month probably helping to refine the squad further) so he should now have an idea of how to get the best out of them.

Perfectly reasonable to start assessing a lot closer from now on. You’d especially want to see improvement on the 1/3 of all goals conceded from set pieces as a minimum.
I agree with sentences 1 and 3. The middle one, if the players are so much better than last season, why do the performances on the whole seem the same old shit as last season? I can't figure it out. Honeymoon period over, start producing the goods Marco.

January 08, 2019, 04:40:09 PM
Reply #1092

Bluedylan

It's all going a bit Brexit/Trump in here.

People are allowed to have concerns about the manager and what we're seeing on the pitch.

Calling people with valid concerns reactionary/stressheads/Big Sam lovers instead of having a proper conversation comes across as a bit elitist to me. The implication is that people are only that way because they don't understand/appreciate Silva's style of football.

Even if he doesn't have the personnel in yet, it would be nice to at least see some signs of how we’re eventually going to play. Plus the Sigurdsson situation is a big red flag for me at the moment as our team is completely unbalanced to fit him in.

Nah, it’s just people having different opinions. I called one person a stresshead, with good reason in my opinion. No debate is being shut down, and there’s nothing remotely elitist about any of it. Just people trading opinions.

You can have any opinion you want.

Also to clarify, I’m not implying anything. Implication is too subtle for me. I’m stating outright that people haven’t got the patience that their empty words suggest they should have.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

January 08, 2019, 04:41:53 PM
Reply #1093

Lxxx

I agree with sentences 1 and 3. The middle one, if the players are so much better than last season, why do the performances on the whole seem the same old shit as last season? I can't figure it out. Honeymoon period over, start producing the goods Marco.

It’s undeniable that Mina and Zouma are an upgrade on Jags and Williams. Similarly with Digne/Baines, Gomes/Davies and Richarlison/whoever we shoehorned wide left.

We also have Lookman back in the fold as well as a much improved Keane. Regardless of any argument about time, transition or new systems in quality terms we’re an upgrade on last seasons options without a shadow of a doubt.

January 08, 2019, 05:48:59 PM
Reply #1094

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I personally think I am the very picture of sanguine tranquility and i wish all Everton fans had the same long-term outlook that I do.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.