October 15, 2019, 11:51:27 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 125779 times)

January 09, 2019, 06:56:28 PM
Reply #1125

plumber

Because it's a short term view of things. You can't completely judge someone over 21 games. It takes time to shape a philosophy and strategy. judge results over 3 years and then we can assess how well he is doing.
No manager in the world gets 3 years trial period, it's nonsense. It will be 12 months, 18 max, if he won't start delivering.

January 09, 2019, 07:25:04 PM
Reply #1126

Lxxx

Because it's a short term view of things. You can't completely judge someone over 21 games. It takes time to shape a philosophy and strategy. judge results over 3 years and then we can assess how well he is doing.

If he's here in three years he's doing well. No-one gets three years these days without showing signs of progress. Martinez bought himself an extra year at the end by his overachievement in his first year.

I hope we are talking about Silva in three years. It means we'll have had the kind of stability the club needs with the new stadium on the horizon. 

January 09, 2019, 07:30:56 PM
Reply #1127

Mayor Farnum

In your previous post you assessed the last three managers as dreadful yet they got nowhere near three years; in fact barely three years between them.
Something clever written by someone else.

January 09, 2019, 07:43:47 PM
Reply #1128

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I’m sure we can all agree that any long term strategy comes with the proviso that if he completely shits the bed he will lose his job. This is the premier league and it is not a very forgiving place.

But he would have to completely shit the bed and we aren’t anywhere near that yet.

On the plus side, it would mean hiring a manager our DOF has picked out rather than one our madcap owner has so you know, swings and roundabouts.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 09, 2019, 07:57:45 PM
Reply #1129

Mayor Farnum

I think we've been very supportive of Silva. There has been a positive feel to most match days and even the recent disappointing results have not been met with negative over reactions. 
The cup can now give us something to focus on and get a feel good factor going around the ground. I think because we have little in the way of a target in the league it does not help to inject any sort of impetus to the players and crowd.
Something clever written by someone else.

January 09, 2019, 08:16:44 PM
Reply #1130

Lxxx

I think we've been very supportive of Silva. There has been a positive feel to most match days and even the recent disappointing results have not been met with negative over reactions. 
The cup can now give us something to focus on and get a feel good factor going around the ground. I think because we have little in the way of a target in the league it does not help to inject any sort of impetus to the players and crowd.

Good point. When you're chasing nothing and are stuck in a pretty mediocre bunch in the middle of the table with the top 6 a long way off in the distance then it can result in the type of atmosphere we see all too often at Goodison. Unless your manager is a great motivator.   

January 09, 2019, 09:38:11 PM
Reply #1131

Martip

If he's here in three years he's doing well. No-one gets three years these days without showing signs of progress. Martinez bought himself an extra year at the end by his overachievement in his first year.

I hope we are talking about Silva in three years. It means we'll have had the kind of stability the club needs with the new stadium on the horizon.
Exactly this....critical few years coming up and I can't imagine moshri will tolerate underperformance.

January 09, 2019, 09:51:53 PM
Reply #1132

Mouse

NSNO Subscriber
I'm giving him this season as a freebie provided we don't collapse ridiculously. I still think the football we've played and tried to play has been a breath of fresh air after the last two seasons. We are far from perfect but you can't really begin to judge Silva (and Brands) until after the next summer transfer window.

The zonal marking remains a big concern and I do think you have to settle on consistent goalkeeper plus two (or 3 if that is the future) CB's to develop a proper understanding. As for the rest, it is a seismic change in style from Koeman and Allardyce which takes time for current players to adapt to and for the manager/DOF to get the additional players required.

I'd really start to worry if we are in the same league position this time next year but I'm hoping by then Silva will have his team playing his football. This season all about re-building (I hope!).
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.

January 09, 2019, 10:04:19 PM
Reply #1133

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Yes a good point is that we’re trying to play good football.

It’s been stodgy at home a lot but that hasn’t been through lack of intent or commitment of numbers forward etc.

January 09, 2019, 10:08:18 PM
Reply #1134

Bluedylan

In your previous post you assessed the last three managers as dreadful yet they got nowhere near three years; in fact barely three years between them.

We didn't need three days to know that Allardyce was dreadful, and Koeman's general disregard for everything and everyone got him very short shrift. In summary, if you're an arsehole of a human being, you'd better get results because sympathy and support disappears very quickly when you don't.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

January 09, 2019, 10:49:19 PM
Reply #1135

stirlingblue

We didn't need three days to know that Allardyce was dreadful, and Koeman's general disregard for everything and everyone got him very short shrift. In summary, if you're an arsehole of a human being, you'd better get results because sympathy and support disappears very quickly when you don't.

Arguably Silva showed himself to be a bit of an arsehole with how he treated Watford.

I still like the guy, but there’s a definite sniff of hypocrisy about calling people out for questioning Silva after 6 months but you’re allowed to dismiss previous managers over less.

I’m also not having the ‘needs time to get his players who can play his brand of football’ either. He’s able to field Richarlison, Lookman, Bernard, Gomes, Digne, Mina and Zouma which is the majority of a starting 11 that weren’t playing good all last year.

January 09, 2019, 10:55:23 PM
Reply #1136

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Allardyce didn’t get a lot of time because he had 3 decades of evidence to suggest he wouldn’t ever play the way most people prefer and which is likely to break the 7th barrier etc.

Koeman’s first season would have earned him longer if there’d been more of an attempt to connect with the club etc. Plus combination with Walsh was seen as disastrous and made each other look worse.

But then on top of that there’d been the decision that the cycle of managers in the last three years wasn’t good.

You can’t have a we need to stop constant change idea but then only apply that if things go well all of the time.

Having more patience implies taking the rough with the smooth.

January 09, 2019, 11:02:48 PM
Reply #1137

Bluedylan

Arguably Silva showed himself to be a bit of an arsehole with how he treated Watford.

I still like the guy, but there’s a definite sniff of hypocrisy about calling people out for questioning Silva after 6 months but you’re allowed to dismiss previous managers over less.

I’m also not having the ‘needs time to get his players who can play his brand of football’ either. He’s able to field Richarlison, Lookman, Bernard, Gomes, Digne, Mina and Zouma which is the majority of a starting 11 that weren’t playing good all last year.

Very arguably, given that Watford don't keep managers for a whole season very often, and they sacked him anyway, not long after. I think it's fair to say that there's a marked difference between how Silva has conducted himself at the club (with young players, involvement in EITC, the opinions of the players) from Koeman and Allardyce's arrogant arseholery, and I think deep down you know that's the case. Don't be afraid to admit your wrong about that, even at this late stage. We all are sometimes.

Of course, results on the pitch matter more than how amenable someone is, but it stills makes a difference how you conduct yourself.

You've thrown in 'I like the guy' and then you go on to be vaguely critical of him. It reminds me of Marcus Aurelius' speech in Julius Caesar where he keeps referring to the killers/conspirators as 'honourable men' before going on to eviscerate them. A little disingenuous

In fairness you said you haven't watched/tuned out of a lot of games this season, and also said it's been dire football for 6 months, so perhaps it's difficult to take your opinion particularly serious, when you've not even watched many games.

''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

January 09, 2019, 11:15:46 PM
Reply #1138

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Another thing with number of “good” performances” vs bad ones.

If you finish 7th, you’re probably not winning more than 16/17 games

So that’s 20 odd games which due to not winning are likely to be classed as rubbish (you might get the odd exciting draw).

Then the wins will be mainly matches which are average in the main with 20-30 mins of “good” play. These games are classed as “bad” in the main.

So that’s a lot of “bad” games.

It’d be a bit odd if we finished 7th and had loads of games where we played sparkling stuff but only won 40odd % of them.

I think that’s a wider issue.

What does finishing 7th entail across the season in terms of results and likely performances.

A lot of the time it seems as though people say they’re happy with 7th but the season they describe would see you finish 4th etc.

January 09, 2019, 11:19:07 PM
Reply #1139

Juanito

I just dread every set piece against us and wonder how some of the glaring defensive errors from the zonal marking have not been erridacated yet.