October 16, 2019, 06:50:00 PM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 126190 times)

January 11, 2019, 04:00:08 AM
Reply #1185

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 04:01:09 AM by Jimmywhack »
Simply simply lovely

January 11, 2019, 04:01:28 AM
Reply #1186

kramer0

I think Davies is a necessity in the diamond because he works hard and makes himself available to his teammates off the ball. As long as he's in the squad, he needs to actually start some matches or we'll never work out whether or not he's genuinely good.

GK: Pickford
RB: Coleman
CB: Keane
CB: Mina
LB: Digne
DM: Gana
CM: Davies
CM: Gomes
AM: Sigurdsson
CF: Richarlison
CF: Lookman (when we're likely to have more possession) / Calvert-Lewin (when we need to play more directly)

Honestly, that probably doesn't end up looking too much different from a 4-3-3 with Sigurdsson as the CF, which is another way we could try to accommodate him.

January 11, 2019, 04:19:21 AM
Reply #1187

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
I’m up for Baines coming on for Digne if we’re struggling to break teams down late in games.

Digne is boss like but is a bit one dimensional. Get to the by line a whip a ball in.

Baines is more likely to break the lines and find players in space.

Also think Bernard has to start every game from now on. He’s a chance machine and is vital to pressing from the front. Has a great ability of winning the ball back in good areas.

Sigurdsson needs to jib it though. Be arsed with him anymore.

No doubt he’ll score a great goal at the weekend to win us the game but he’s a massive problem.
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

January 11, 2019, 05:11:47 AM
Reply #1188

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
If baines was the same age as Bernard I'd say...... They'd be better than better than baines and pienaar
Simply simply lovely

January 11, 2019, 05:44:57 AM
Reply #1189

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I’m up for Baines coming on for Digne if we’re struggling to break teams down late in games.

Digne is boss like but is a bit one dimensional. Get to the by line a whip a ball in.

Also think Bernard has to start every game from now on. He’s a chance machine and is vital to pressing from the front. Has a great ability of winning the ball back in good areas.

No doubt he’ll score a great goal at the weekend to win us the game but he’s a massive problem.

Hang on a minute!
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 11, 2019, 06:32:13 AM
Reply #1190

gizzblue

Just for those moaning .....we would be in hell of a lot worse situation without Sigs goals and assists this season .won a couple of games himself to be fair .

Imagine how much moaning you would be doing six or more points worse off .
Only Richarlson is more prolific .
Listen to yourselves  lolol ...why get rid of our second highest scorer until we have a valid well better replacement.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 06:39:01 AM by gizzblue »
Born not made a blue .

January 11, 2019, 11:49:51 AM
Reply #1191

KoemansNumberTens

Oh you reckon we overpaid? I would never have guessed.

Would be being kind that. He’s worth about 20m as a sub

January 11, 2019, 01:56:10 PM
Reply #1192

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 11, 2019, 02:10:18 PM
Reply #1193

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
This is good :

https://twitter.com/thehaifspace/status/1083594292181024769?s=21

Yes noticed that Sig drifts right and often tries to put in a cross from an unorthodox position.

Option would be to have Bernard nominally on the left and to drift in, if Sig is up top or further right.

Would be in danger of isolating Digne so if Richarlison was up front he may have to drift left.

You’d need to be confident of ball retention though as the shape would be a bit odd if we lost the ball.

January 11, 2019, 02:17:58 PM
Reply #1194

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Also think the lack of a certain pass into the middle, either 10 or into the striker massively hinders using the wings.

If you don’t get the ball out wide quickly it’s easy to make you cross from difficult positions which reduces the chances of a good ball in.

It’s not always possible to get it out wide quickly so you need some way of re-engineering the space.

If you’ve got it on the left and want to get it to the right, unless you’ve got someone who can really ping it to the other side of the pitch (and have someone control it) then you need to work it across.

In order to generate the space you need to be able to pass the ball into a central position, draw people to the ball, lay it back out then push it out wide into the space generated by the defenc being drawn to the ball in the central positions.

January 11, 2019, 02:58:47 PM
Reply #1195

BlueBeagle

Baines hasn't done anything of the sort for a long time IMO

January 11, 2019, 03:21:28 PM
Reply #1196

Gary1878

NSNO Subscriber
The problem we are now facing isn't too dissimilar from last season, in that we don't seem to have a front man who can cause other teams problems.

Richarlison sounds like he doesn't really want to be the main man, and DCL/Tosun like to come deep for the ball rather than pushing the opposition defenders and staying on the last man. Niasse doesn't have the quality or consistency to play for Everton.

Playing with DCL/Tosun causes the whole team tactical issues. Because they both don't like staying on the last man, and aren't particularly blessed with lightening pace/power, the opposition defence can step up and squeeze the pitch. This gives our midfield less time on the ball, and so they have to have pinpoint accuracy in order to make anything happen. I do believe this is why Silva is forced to play DCL rather than Tosun, as he is the quicker of the 2, and the best of a bad bunch. I still believe Tosun is the best finisher at the club, however I just don't see how he fits into our system and helps the team.

I'm not sure that the striker issue will be solved in January, but we have to sort it out in August, as we still haven't found the permanent solution to losing Lukaku.

January 11, 2019, 03:21:34 PM
Reply #1197

NickNack

Baines hasn't done anything of the sort for a long time IMO
He’s not played much under Silva - I thought there were signs of the old Baines against Lincoln. Not that I’m saying he should be playing instead of Digne who has been great but still think Baines has something to offer

January 11, 2019, 03:22:45 PM
Reply #1198

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Also think the lack of a certain pass into the middle, either 10 or into the striker massively hinders using the wings.

If you don’t get the ball out wide quickly it’s easy to make you cross from difficult positions which reduces the chances of a good ball in.

It’s not always possible to get it out wide quickly so you need some way of re-engineering the space.

If you’ve got it on the left and want to get it to the right, unless you’ve got someone who can really ping it to the other side of the pitch (and have someone control it) then you need to work it across.

In order to generate the space you need to be able to pass the ball into a central position, draw people to the ball, lay it back out then push it out wide into the space generated by the defenc being drawn to the ball in the central positions.

Going a bit too quick for me here.

Are you saying we’re missing a sort of deep lying playmaker type to work it back and out wide, or missing a frontman who can pivot and lay it off?

January 11, 2019, 03:49:55 PM
Reply #1199

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Going a bit too quick for me here.

Are you saying we’re missing a sort of deep lying playmaker type to work it back and out wide, or missing a frontman who can pivot and lay it off?

Yeah, think Gomes is more than capable of being the one who passes it out wide etc.

What we don’t have is the ball into a front man or a 10 who gets on the ball on the edge of the box who might draw people into him.

City use lots of width but have players around edge of the box who draw people in to them to open up the space.