October 16, 2019, 04:10:51 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 126015 times)

January 20, 2019, 08:51:59 AM
Reply #1260

eyesalwaysblue

Thought it was worth a shot putting Rich in the middle it showed willingness to try things and it could have payed off, same at the back, wasn't against the 3  Centre backs either, he's very hesitant when it comes to trying new things in the midfield, Gomes and Sigg dosen't work similar to the way Rooney and Sigg didn't no matter how it was switched about, would like to see Gomes without Sigg first as he was so creative earlier on, obviously limited as to who comes in but what could be worse than how it is, apart from putting Morgan in.
I still despise Clive Thomas..

January 20, 2019, 10:19:58 AM
Reply #1261

mikey_blue

Thought it was worth a shot putting Rich in the middle it showed willingness to try things and it could have payed off, same at the back, wasn't against the 3  Centre backs either, he's very hesitant when it comes to trying new things in the midfield, Gomes and Sigg dosen't work similar to the way Rooney and Sigg didn't no matter how it was switched about, would like to see Gomes without Sigg first as he was so creative earlier on, obviously limited as to who comes in but what could be worse than how it is, apart from putting Morgan in.

Sigurdsson is great, even world class at what he does. Arriving late into the box, first time finishing, dead ball striking and shots from outside the box, but he doesn’t help the cohesion of the team. We need him to get back and link the midfield to the attack, if he can’t do that, then we need a player who can.

January 20, 2019, 01:02:42 PM
Reply #1262

Mayor Farnum

I’d be a lot more critical if his best striker wasn’t a 21 year old.

Look at Chelsea. They’ve got one of the best players around in Hazard with the likes of Willian and Pedro ahead of probably the most solid midfield trio in the league behind them. We’ve also seen that Sarri’s previous teams have played great football and scored freely.

Despite all that, they’re not a high scoring team and they’ve been struggling since Hazard’s form dropped which is largely because they don’t have a striker that meets the standard.

And that’s with Morata and Giroud as options, their equivalent to DCL would be Tammy Abraham (out on loan in the championship most recently).

I’m sure Brands recognises this and people can moan as much as they want but Silva isn’t close to going anywhere.

Agree, but I would say that he's carried on regardless rather than tried to find a system that gets something more out of what he has available; something I would suggest any coach is duty bound to do.
I just don't see a base performance; something we can rely on as a starting point for performances.
Something clever written by someone else.

January 20, 2019, 01:05:27 PM
Reply #1263

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I’d be a lot more critical if his best striker wasn’t a 21 year old.

Look at Chelsea. They’ve got one of the best players around in Hazard with the likes of Willian and Pedro ahead of probably the most solid midfield trio in the league behind them. We’ve also seen that Sarri’s previous teams have played great football and scored freely.

Despite all that, they’re not a high scoring team and they’ve been struggling since Hazard’s form dropped which is largely because they don’t have a striker that meets the standard.

And that’s with Morata and Giroud as options, their equivalent to DCL would be Tammy Abraham (out on loan in the championship most recently).

I’m sure Brands recognises this and people can moan as much as they want but Silva isn’t close to going anywhere.

Plus, because we bought him, people forget that Richarlison is only 21.

Everyone else’s best attacker is usually much more experienced and therefore you can place more reliance on them in terms of consistency etc.

For us Walcott has disappointed massively, Tosun not to the standard we’re aiming for.

Bernard is settling in.

Sig is consistent in terms of work rate and when he gets the ball in good positions it’s just the noted issue of how often he gets it etc.

January 20, 2019, 01:20:25 PM
Reply #1264

Bally

Administrator
Has anyone seen that Sunderland documentary on Netflix and the bits with Simon Grayson? Its all positive and they are dead sure his previous style, methods and attitude will infect Sunderland with a bit of class and take them back into the Premier League? Yet it all goes drastically wrong. The same with Chris Coleman. 

I think we need a reality check.
Wowzers

Sent from my CLT-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

It's the roll I way

January 20, 2019, 01:33:38 PM
Reply #1265

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Agree, but I would say that he's carried on regardless rather than tried to find a system that gets something more out of what he has available; something I would suggest any coach is duty bound to do.
I just don't see a base performance; something we can rely on as a starting point for performances.

Since the derby.

Prior to that we were moving along to an obvious solid shape and hitting teams when we won it back etc.

Re midfield it might be that Gomes and Gueye look best in games where we have less of the ball. But I can see why he’s try to stick with that for a while as they’re the best individuals (why so many attempts at getting Schneiderlin and Gueye to work, I’d guess). 

Which brings us back round to the balance of players we have, especially when throwing Sig into the mix too.

January 20, 2019, 02:16:28 PM
Reply #1266

Macca77

Richarlison isn't a striker, we can all see that, Silva needs to jib it off and play him where he's more comfortable

January 20, 2019, 02:53:45 PM
Reply #1267

ajax_andy

I think it's too early to judge Silva although personally I thought we'd be doing a lot better under him then we are.

Thing is we're suffering from a few bad transfer windows and unable to move players on.  It must be hard to motivate rich players when we're not likely to be relegated or finish top 6.  Under Moyes the players played right until the last game of the season regardless of if there was anything to play for... But they were HIS players, and he did extensive research on their mentality and personality before buying them.

We currently have a hodge podge of players on high wages brought in by various managers, with various commitment levels, it's always going to take time to rebuild.

Another example of a settled team is Bournemouth, peoply say we should be above them in the table not scrapping for 10th with them... But despite by and large inferior players they're a settle side with players all brought in by one manager with a plan.

January 20, 2019, 03:23:31 PM
Reply #1268

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Is it true that we are a win and a goal difference of 13 better off than at this last stage last season? If so that probably means we need a bit of perspective right now

January 20, 2019, 03:37:47 PM
Reply #1269

SANA_DR0

Richarlison playing In the wrong position = check

Style not suited for our current players = check

Unorganized midfield = check

create as many chances as we did under big Sam = check

Blaming players when the manager should be able to instill what he believes = check

playing a style that makes players like Tosun look pants = check

Silvas play book

We did well/played well at the start of the season, Tosun was a good foil, yeah he wasnt scoring but he was a good lynchpin.
Silva dropped him cos of no goals, Richarlison cant hold the ball up, he finds it very hard to keep the ball and bring others into play;hence why we always lose the ball in the final third, and it keeps putting our midfield/defense under pressure.

There was a couple of moments yesterday when we lost the ball in the final third... we had like 6 players all go for the ball,, one pass and they were through to our defence..

shocking really.

Unsworth has a 100% League record at home
Norwich 3-0 15th May 2016
Watford 3-2 5th Nov 2017
West Ham 4-0 29th Nov 2017
To Be Continued.....

January 20, 2019, 03:39:34 PM
Reply #1270

TheTone

Is it true that we are a win and a goal difference of 13 better off than at this last stage last season? If so that probably means we need a bit of perspective right now

January 20, 2019, 03:44:14 PM
Reply #1271

Martip

I think that probably shows how how crap we 've been Silas.....I mean the start we had last yesr was unbelievably bad and we are still only just better off with no real signs of sustained improvement on the pitch.

January 20, 2019, 04:13:32 PM
Reply #1272

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I just think he looks like a bit of a mug at the moment.

He's spent over a month messing around with every part of the team except the midfield. None of the tweaks have worked.

I realize that football management is a tricky thing and that it's easy for those of us on the outside to propose solutions when we don't really understand the inner workings of the club but it still seems really obvious what he needs to change.

Yeah for me it’s watching the same thing again and again. It’s not a massive deal and we’re not in immediate danger like we were with Martinez and Koeman, and there’s is still a sliver of hope that he suddenly becomes tactically aware and stops stepping on the same trap every single game - but I do think sitting around any longer than the summer hoping he changes is a waste of time and money, and I’m more concerned about sacking another manager mid season than I am about losing silva tbh.

If he turns it around and stops us getting exposed again and again, then sound. But like I say for me, he really has to make a case now.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 20, 2019, 04:41:59 PM
Reply #1273

Bluedylan

Yeah for me it’s watching the same thing again and again. It’s not a massive deal and we’re not in immediate danger like we were with Martinez and Koeman, and there’s is still a sliver of hope that he suddenly becomes tactically aware and stops stepping on the same trap every single game - but I do think sitting around any longer than the summer hoping he changes is a waste of time and money, and I’m more concerned about sacking another manager mid season than I am about losing silva tbh.

If he turns it around and stops us getting exposed again and again, then sound. But like I say for me, he really has to make a case now.

Think that’s fair enough.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

January 20, 2019, 05:36:06 PM
Reply #1274

stirlingblue

I'd be a lot more critical if his best striker wasn't a 21 year old.

Look at Chelsea. They've got one of the best players around in Hazard with the likes of Willian and Pedro ahead of probably the most solid midfield trio in the league behind them. We've also seen that Sarri's previous teams have played great football and scored freely.

Despite all that, they're not a high scoring team and they've been struggling since Hazard's form dropped which is largely because they don't have a striker that meets the standard.

And that's with Morata and Giroud as options, their equivalent to DCL would be Tammy Abraham (out on loan in the championship most recently).

I'm sure Brands recognises this and people can moan as much as they want but Silva isn't close to going anywhere.

I think it’s more that having a top striker would paper over some of our current failings, and instead they’re being exposed.

Doesn’t matter if we’re playing Aguero up top or Calvert-Lewin, you can’t consistently do well if you’re ceding control of the midfield by playing what is essentially a 4-2-4.