October 18, 2019, 01:16:12 PM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 127039 times)

January 20, 2019, 08:59:24 PM
Reply #1290

kramer0

I don't know the longest run of games we've gone this season without conceding but I can't even think of two off the top of my head. As you said we are safe so a couple of cautious performances that get clean sheets in the bank will instill some confidence. Then take things on from there.

I think back to how well we played down a man against Wolves and Bournemouth and wonder why Silva hasn't considered as a starting approach.

I honestly think that's some of the best football we've played this season.

January 20, 2019, 09:06:39 PM
Reply #1291

eyesalwaysblue

He needs to prove he's not a one system pony, thought he was expanding his thought but the needles stuck at the mo....
I still despise Clive Thomas..

January 20, 2019, 09:22:31 PM
Reply #1292

Hawkandro

As painful as it is at present, we must persevere with Silva. Everyone can see the squad overall is nowhere near good enough, and now the players who did well for us early doors are going through a lack of form, we have reverted back to struggling through games.

Brands has already said he is looking to the summer for an overhaul in the team, so personally, unless we are skirting with relegation we need to keep Silva. No point in changing manager every 6 to 8 months - that will just bring more instability.

We need to trust that Silva and Brands have highlighted the players we need and are working on bringing them in come June.
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

January 20, 2019, 09:22:50 PM
Reply #1293

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I don't know the longest run of games we've gone this season without conceding but I can't even think of two off the top of my head. As you said we are safe so a couple of cautious performances that get clean sheets in the bank will instill some confidence. Then take things on from there.

I agree.

But I think he’s been brought in and bombarded with “Everton fans demand attacking football”.

January 20, 2019, 09:47:53 PM
Reply #1294

eyesalwaysblue

Brands will be the key not Silva, hope he's seen too many cosy, convenient appointments we have amongst the staff as well..

January 20, 2019, 10:24:59 PM
Reply #1295

eyesalwaysblue

I saw it but can't recall him using the word arrogance.
The Allardyce fixation is fucking strange with some, he was a nano ripple at this club, he is fucking milking the hate and getting payed for it, about time he was never mentioned ever a fickin gain.

January 20, 2019, 10:44:14 PM
Reply #1296

Lxxx

As painful as it is at present, we must persevere with Silva. Everyone can see the squad overall is nowhere near good enough, and now the players who did well for us early doors are going through a lack of form, we have reverted back to struggling through games.

Brands has already said he is looking to the summer for an overhaul in the team, so personally, unless we are skirting with relegation we need to keep Silva. No point in changing manager every 6 to 8 months - that will just bring more instability.

We need to trust that Silva and Brands have highlighted the players we need and are working on bringing them in come June.

If we extrapolate the 8 points from the previous 10 games to the next ten then does that give Brands, or Moshiri, any indicators that he's the man to accompany him in overhauling the squad in the summer?

He's found himself in a tricky situation here. He's set his stall out early on to play a certain way and but for a small purple patch it hasn't worked, yet. He needs to amend it to get results to take the pressure off but does he then evolve his thinking or does he do what needs to be done short term only to buy time and then revert back later.

I hate coming back to Martinez but we've seen this situation of pressure and a brief adaptation of style to get results. Whenever he was under the cosh we amended our style, got a few results, then we went back to the old way which failed him in the first place. Let's hope Silva is a little more pragmatic and we kick on. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 10:46:54 PM by Lxxx »

January 20, 2019, 11:06:58 PM
Reply #1297

Dr. Sponge

Having Brands calling the recruitment shots makes me feel more at ease than I would have previously.

I hope Silva works out and I really like how we played during our good spell before December. But if he ends up getting the bullet a season or two from now, it won’t be a load of wasted millions as it will be Brands’ vision with a new coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

January 20, 2019, 11:39:40 PM
Reply #1298

markB

Having Brands calling the recruitment shots makes me feel more at ease than I would have previously.

I hope Silva works out and I really like how we played during our good spell before December. But if he ends up getting the bullet a season or two from now, it won’t be a load of wasted millions as it will be Brands’ vision with a new coach.

timing of sacking a manager is a bit soon some would say , BUT then you look at the list of managers out of work and that might play a big part of it

also not one of our players looks a better player than before he came yes some got a bit form back but not one looks any better so were is this works well play the players

new managers come into clubs below us and get them playing well in weeks how long are we going to wait

are last win could have been a draw easy and would have been the right result ,per-season was a joke we did not play any of the top 6 at home till spurs
 in Dec now we have to play 5 of them at home so there are 5 home games with 0 points hows are away form looking this year

we keep going like this we will not be on the top half that is clear to see

but I still remember that saying any manager would get us top 7/8 with this squad

he is having a running fight with the press over who he plays up top and will not back down , was the money spent on him (£40m) ear marked for a player to play up there but they went on Marco,s call that Richarlison could play there ( I don't have a problem spending it on him but for the fucking love of god play him on the fucking left )

January 21, 2019, 01:12:48 AM
Reply #1299

SANA_DR0

its really a waste of time money and effort on Brands part to do that, especially if Silva doesn't know how to utalize the players or organise them.
Unsworth has a 100% League record at home
Norwich 3-0 15th May 2016
Watford 3-2 5th Nov 2017
West Ham 4-0 29th Nov 2017
To Be Continued.....

January 21, 2019, 01:17:10 AM
Reply #1300

Dr. Sponge

its really a waste of time money and effort on Brands part to do that, especially if Silva doesn't know how to utalize the players or organise them.

That’s a load of jibberish.

January 21, 2019, 01:39:14 AM
Reply #1301

Mayor Farnum

timing of sacking a manager is a bit soon some would say , BUT then you look at the list of managers out of work and that might play a big part of it

also not one of our players looks a better player than before he came yes some got a bit form back but not one looks any better so were is this works well play the players

new managers come into clubs below us and get them playing well in weeks how long are we going to wait

are last win could have been a draw easy and would have been the right result ,per-season was a joke we did not play any of the top 6 at home till spurs
 in Dec now we have to play 5 of them at home so there are 5 home games with 0 points hows are away form looking this year

we keep going like this we will not be on the top half that is clear to see

but I still remember that saying any manager would get us top 7/8 with this squad

he is having a running fight with the press over who he plays up top and will not back down , was the money spent on him (£40m) ear marked for a player to play up there but they went on Marco,s call that Richarlison could play there ( I don't have a problem spending it on him but for the fucking love of god play him on the fucking left )

A lot of new managers do get a visible response from their new team but most new managers take over when a team is at its lowest ebb. Consequently there is room for a visible improvement at first; especially when a burden has been lifted from an under performing squad.
However, that's not the case with Everton. The most obvious new manager bounce we've had in over twenty years have come from Joe Royle and David Moyes. They both took over from inept managers when the team was in dire situations.
This has not been the case with Silva, he's taken over an un-exciting squad that was performing at a reasonable level of expectation. The scope for progress is there but it's less obvious and will take more time. Unless we get a lot worse we would be silly just looking for a new manager bounce because it's not going to happen when we are scrambling between 9th and 12th.
After last season I think it will be a long time before we sack a manager mid-season again.
Something clever written by someone else.

January 21, 2019, 03:32:18 AM
Reply #1302

markB

A lot of new managers do get a visible response from their new team but most new managers take over when a team is at its lowest ebb. Consequently there is room for a visible improvement at first; especially when a burden has been lifted from an under performing squad.
However, that's not the case with Everton. The most obvious new manager bounce we've had in over twenty years have come from Joe Royle and David Moyes. They both took over from inept managers when the team was in dire situations.
This has not been the case with Silva, he's taken over an un-exciting squad that was performing at a reasonable level of expectation. The scope for progress is there but it's less obvious and will take more time. Unless we get a lot worse we would be silly just looking for a new manager bounce because it's not going to happen when we are scrambling between 9th and 12th.
After last season I think it will be a long time before we sack a manager mid-season again.

a team that got 8th last year with that manager now with 100m (value of players not what we spent) in your telling me 9th-12th is ok

January 21, 2019, 03:43:31 AM
Reply #1303

Mayor Farnum

a team that got 8th last year with that manager now with 100m (value of players not what we spent) in your telling me 9th-12th is ok

9th to 12th is just that; it's OK. We could have hoped for more but surely you can see the nature of the league below 6th will mean that the same four or five clubs will fall in line below the six best teams in varying order from year to year. We have our third manager in about three years, a squad that is unbalanced and about half of them we'd sell tomorrow if we could.
Silva was a gamble because his track record is open to interpretation; but apart from a very few on here that thought he was the best out there, most knew it could go either way. If the board were prepared to gamble they should expect up and downs and I think they are going to stick by him; and rightly so.
Something clever written by someone else.

January 21, 2019, 03:55:41 AM
Reply #1304

markB

9th to 12th is just that; it's OK. We could have hoped for more but surely you can see the nature of the league below 6th will mean that the same four or five clubs will fall in line below the six best teams in varying order from year to year. We have our third manager in about three years, a squad that is unbalanced and about half of them we'd sell tomorrow if we could.
Silva was a gamble because his track record is open to interpretation; but apart from a very few on here that thought he was the best out there, most knew it could go either way. If the board were prepared to gamble they should expect up and downs and I think they are going to stick by him; and rightly so.

lets hope they have a get out of jail free card in his deal it will be needed