March 24, 2019, 04:25:07 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 75660 times)

January 21, 2019, 06:23:25 PM
Reply #1335

Thornton_19

Had my doubts about Silva from the start.

He didnt inspire me and nor did his record with Hull and Watford.

Another reason is his nationality. On holidays there I found the Portuguse are a strange lot and can be quite sullen.  They seem to take things very badly when they dont go well.

And for football examples, look at Ronaldo or Mourinho. Absolutely great while things are going their way, but very sulky and moody when they arent.

I believe Everton would really thrive better with a British manager.

Sent from my SM-G361F using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app
Everton 'Big Brexit' Mint

January 21, 2019, 06:30:38 PM
Reply #1336

Thornton_19

He should be here until next December unless we lose 10 on the bounce or something.

Our club is in a terrible state because of those that preceded him. We have 10 or so players that are on high wages, dont play and nobody wants to buy off us. So we cant buy the players we need to give ourselves a good squad to rotate when players are out of form.

People keep saying drop Gomes and Sigurddson, but genuinely for who? The much maligned Tom Davies? One loose pass and all the Da's want his head. Who replaces Sigurdsson productivity, we have no one else. Fundamentally Silva is suffering because of the failings of previous regimes.

We are in bad form yes, but destroying everything to start again will just see us doing this every 6-12 months forever. Silva has to be given another summer. We all just have to accept it.

January 21, 2019, 06:35:42 PM
Reply #1337

Macca77

Haha get on Watford trying to take the piss

https://twitter.com/WatfordFC/status/1087313271496105984

January 21, 2019, 06:40:30 PM
Reply #1338

Lxxx

He should be here until next December unless we lose 10 on the bounce or something.

Our club is in a terrible state because of those that preceded him. We have 10 or so players that are on high wages, dont play and nobody wants to buy off us. So we cant buy the players we need to give ourselves a good squad to rotate when players are out of form.

People keep saying drop Gomes and Sigurddson, but genuinely for who? The much maligned Tom Davies? One loose pass and all the Da's want his head. Who replaces Sigurdsson productivity, we have no one else. Fundamentally Silva is suffering because of the failings of previous regimes.

We are in bad form yes, but destroying everything to start again will just see us doing this every 6-12 months forever. Silva has to be given another summer. We all just have to accept it.

Grudgingly agreed.

It all just seems like a chore at the minute with us. It kind of feels like we should just stomach this season and come back in the summer. We've made our bed with this big bet on Silva by Moshiri and now we have to lie in it and hope it works.

January 21, 2019, 07:41:28 PM
Reply #1339

Ross

I do wonder how much sway Brands will have over Silvas long term future. He’s clearly been Moshiris “big bet” but Brands has gained a lot of influence since the summer it seems and he’s got previous for getting shut quickly of managers who aren’t meeting the standards he requires.

Normally you’d expect at least 18 months for this sort of thing but Brands not being onboard when we were pursuing Silva originally kind of clouds the issue I think.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

January 21, 2019, 07:49:27 PM
Reply #1340

BlueBeagle

Haha get on Watford trying to take the piss

https://twitter.com/WatfordFC/status/1087313271496105984

Wouldn't say they are trying, I'd say they were bang on

January 21, 2019, 07:49:45 PM
Reply #1341

Mayor Farnum

We need to give it time though, the point can't be stressed enough.

In that squad there's Moyes players, Martinez players, Koeman players, Allardyce players and now Silva players. He's had half a season to work with all of them, and that isn't long enough in the slightest.

Things might look bad during this run of form but we can't keep re-setting every few months. We have to play the long game.

I'm assuming they weren't his players at Hull and Watford but it seemed ok for us to judge him on the brief jobs he did there.

January 21, 2019, 07:58:54 PM
Reply #1342

BlueForYou

A little surprised we haven't tabled a bid for Jarrod Bowen

Bowen speaks highly of Silva but maybe Marco doesn't rate him highly enough
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

January 21, 2019, 08:02:46 PM
Reply #1343

KoemansNumberTens

Don’t really buy this needs his own players stuff. Plenty of managers come in and do better. Plenty of managers don’t have the luxury of Bernard richarlison digne, Mina, Gomes and zouma How many more of his own players does he need. Most on here seem to quite like Pickford. Most seem to rate lookman. Obviously it’s not the perfect situation for silva in terms of having his own players but when is it ever for a manager.
He should be doing better. Of course if we give him more time and drop another 120 million on a striker, playmaker and a right back he probably will do better but with that spend should come  added expectations and he’s already falling short of the expectations we had

Obviously not having a decent striker is a large problem but Walsh and koeman carried the blame for that last season so silva should at least in part this season

January 21, 2019, 08:24:03 PM
Reply #1344

Lxxx

I'm assuming they weren't his players at Hull and Watford but it seemed ok for us to judge him on the brief jobs he did there.

Yes. It's always a bit of a false argument this one. How many managers hang around enough at clubs for long enough, or even get the resources, to clear out a whole squad and remodel it entirely to their own desires.   

January 21, 2019, 09:25:03 PM
Reply #1345

Bluedylan

If people want him out, just say it. Have the courage of your convictions. Dressing things up in this half arsed, euphemistic language is pretty lame.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

January 21, 2019, 09:39:04 PM
Reply #1346

KoemansNumberTens

If people want him out, just say it. Have the courage of your convictions. Dressing things up in this half arsed, euphemistic language is pretty lame.

I don’t. We can’t afford to (more in terms of stability than money) I think if he wasn’t coming after such instability manager wise I probably would though. I think he’s probably not a good appointment
We have to stick with him and hope things change though

January 21, 2019, 10:56:07 PM
Reply #1347

kramer0

It's a tricky situation to evaluate because who knows what he's thinking tactically.

Right now, we're losing the midfield battle every week, he hasn't made any changes to address that, and our performances have been poor (even when results have been good). Fair or not, any manager who spins his wheels long enough on the same problem starts to look like he doesn't have the answers. The squad is certainly a factor but it's still odd that he'll change the front three around or drop an attacker for a centre back before adding another body in the middle.

I think this is where a lot of managers do themselves a disservice. Never discussing any of the logic behind their team selections, instead focusing on vague platitudes like hard work, fight, aggression, etc. It doesn't really matter how hard your players fight if they're consistently outnumbered in the areas that matter. What are we gaining by setting up in a 4-4-2/4-2-4 and pressing high up the pitch every week?

January 22, 2019, 01:07:13 AM
Reply #1348

Lxxx

Give it a rest.

January 22, 2019, 03:27:55 AM
Reply #1349

plumber

I don't want him out now. He's done very little to stay here, but sacking him in the middle of the season would be counterproductive and plain silly. But if he continues to serve shit like that until the end of the season and shows no sign of progress, he should go in the summer.
One season and 6 new players should be more than enough for any manager to show what is he capable of.

Is it clear enough?