March 26, 2019, 10:06:31 PM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 75963 times)

January 23, 2019, 08:35:45 PM
Reply #1410

Macca77

January 23, 2019, 08:37:21 PM
Reply #1411

Macca77

Think its time to start bringing the word minge back.

As long as we can have flange as well

January 23, 2019, 08:46:34 PM
Reply #1412

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Playing well? When did that happen. My opinions aren’t overly welcome when we lose. I comment less when we win mainly because I imagine they’ll be even less welcome.

Haha.

Yep, we haven’t played well at all this season.

Well in for proving everyone’s point.
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

January 23, 2019, 09:07:11 PM
Reply #1413

Mac934

As long as we can have flange as well
x And gusset too  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

January 23, 2019, 09:13:16 PM
Reply #1414

Lxxx

All getting a bit silly. Everyone is broadly making the same point and agreeing on where we're at and what the issues are but arguing over the semantics.

Still, it makes a forum.

January 23, 2019, 09:33:54 PM
Reply #1415

TheTone

NSNO is better than POF these days

Not having this  :snigger:

January 23, 2019, 10:07:47 PM
Reply #1416

plumber

It just annoys me that people post negative things over and over again, on thread after thread, about the manager, with very little balance or perspective, and then you say 'so you want him out?' basically, and all the people saying those things for some reason can't handle that comment, and lurch into massively defensive over-reaction, and brainless personal abuse in some instances.

It looks like you are on same weird mission of finding and disclosure  secret Silva’s enemies on this forum.

Some people here don’t rate him and think he’s not doing  a great job but no one want him out at this stage because it has no sense. It would bring more instability, we wouldn’t find any better in the middle of the season, he still has a chance to turn things around etc.

If people wanted him out, why would they hide it? It’s not like coming out in Saudi Arabia or something. Calm down, it’s only in your head mate.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 10:09:05 PM by plumber »

January 23, 2019, 10:09:54 PM
Reply #1417

Macca77

I reckon we should fuck him off and get Arteta in

January 23, 2019, 10:16:19 PM
Reply #1418

Bluedylan

It looks like you are on same weird mission of finding and disclosure  secret Silva’s enemies on this forum.

Some people here don’t rate him and think he’s not doing  a great job but no one want him out at this stage because it has no sense. It would bring more instability, we wouldn’t find any better in the middle of the season, he still has a chance to turn things around etc.

If someone wanted him out, why would he hide it? It’s not like coming out in Saudi Arabia or something. Calm down, it’s only in your head mate.

Perfectly calm mate. It's a forum. It'd be weird to get worked up about differing opinions and say resort to calling people a 'cunt' or whatever. I quite agree with you.

Like I've said, if that's someone's view and they are willing to back it up and justify it, no worries. Do it. It might be a legitimate opinion. I might not agree, but have the courage to say it.

On the other hand, if those people can maybe introduce a smidgen of nuance into their thoughts/comments, and put a bit of context in there rather than blanket statements like 'it's been shite all season', which clearly isn't objectively true, it'd probably serve them better and might lead to the debate becoming less fractious.

I think those people are bringing the baggage of previous years and disappointments to this situation, and not viewing it objectively. It seems like they feel like they have a monopoly on disappointment, and they don't think the rest of us feel it just as badly, because we're not forever slaughtering the management or lurching into endless misery on the forum. Which is amusing.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

January 23, 2019, 10:37:02 PM
Reply #1419

Lxxx

Perfectly calm mate. It's a forum. It'd be weird to get worked up about differing opinions and say resort to calling people a 'cunt' or whatever. I quite agree with you.

Like I've said, if that's someone's view and they are willing to back it up and justify it, no worries. Do it. It might be a legitimate opinion. I might not agree, but have the courage to say it.

On the other hand, if those people can maybe introduce a smidgen of nuance into their thoughts/comments, and put a bit of context in there rather than blanket statements like 'it's been shite all season', which clearly isn't objectively true, it'd probably serve them better and might lead to the debate becoming less fractious.

I think those people are bringing the baggage of previous years and disappointments to this situation, and not viewing it objectively. It seems like they feel like they have a monopoly on disappointment, and they don't think the rest of us feel it just as badly, because we're not forever slaughtering the management or lurching into endless misery on the forum. Which is amusing.

You really do need to let it go pal. It's consuming this thread.

No-one wants him gone. You're reading some kind of weird inferences into everything. We'd all have loved for it to run smoothly but we're quite prepared for it to be up and down between now and the end of the season because that's what a first season will be like, especially coming into the shitshow that has been left behind.

Everyone is pretty clear in what our current issues are on the pitch. It's also perfectly acceptable to objectively assess where we are on that journey as we progress, both performance-wise and tactically. Especially now we're into the second half of the season and in a difficult run of form.

Get back to posting incisive content again.

January 23, 2019, 10:45:09 PM
Reply #1420

Bluedylan

You really do need to let it go pal. It's consuming this thread.

No-one wants him gone. You're reading some kind of weird inferences into everything. We'd all have loved for it to run smoothly but we're quite prepared for it to be up and down between now and the end of the season because that's what a first season will be like, especially coming into the shitshow that has been left behind.

Everyone is pretty clear in what our current issues are on the pitch. It's also perfectly acceptable to objectively assess where we are on that journey as we progress, both performance-wise and tactically. Especially now we're into the second half of the season and in a difficult run of form.

Get back to posting incisive content again.

Mate, people are posting directly in response to me or my comments, and asking questions/making comments about what I've said, yourself included a number of times, so if it's permissible with you, I'll crack on with answering them.

lolol
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 10:47:06 PM by Bluedylan »
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

January 23, 2019, 10:59:38 PM
Reply #1421

sam of the south

Not having this  :snigger:

I just pulled @Jamokachi, bruv, just like that 👌🏼
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

January 24, 2019, 02:55:37 AM
Reply #1422

KoemansNumberTens

Haha.

Yep, we haven’t played well at all this season.

Well in for proving everyone’s point.

Of course we’ve had some good performances. I’d imagine every team in the league have had some good performances.

Beating Burnley was great. I still had the same issues with the team though. Didn’t think people would want them mentioning after we won. It’s easier to moan about sigurdsson when we lose. I happily say he’s played well when he plays well too though

As for the suggestion I get no joy out of Everton...... I kind of don’t. Like winning when we win but in terms of overall it’s been a long period of disappointments and false dawns. It is a pretty joyless past time

January 24, 2019, 03:31:47 AM
Reply #1423

Mayor Farnum

I don't think we even do false dawns anymore do we.

January 24, 2019, 08:27:58 PM
Reply #1424

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Apologies to any minge enthusiasts but I’ve been doing some thinking after posting this in the Gana thread :

I think eventually, if given enough time he will be :

8    8

As he’s said in interviews is his preferred formation (note - Gana can’t play any of those roles...)

Or like...

Cleverley
Docoure     Capoue

Which is what he had at Watford - an advanced CM switching to full backs and playing into the box, with two box to box marathon men covering thousands of kms and getting on the edge of the box.

(Note - Gana can’t do any of those roles either..)

I wanted to see if there was anything that backed up my perception of his ‘style’ at previous clubs compared to now being different so I had a reread of previous articles and a scout about myself :

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2017/02/16/tactical-philosophy-marco-silva/ (You May remember from @Bluedylan posting a while  ago, worth revisiting)

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/head-coach-analysis/marco-silva-everton-tactical-analysis

https://www.fmscout.com/a-marco-silva-hull-fm17-tactic.html (Although it’s aboit FM it’s actually ok)

And finally the tifo series, only linking the Everton one as I’ve linked Watford relatively recently :

First thing I noticed was that despite him saying he likes 433 with a lone playmaking 6, most articles actually picked up that he uses 4-2-3-1 quite consistently, only using the 4-3-3 when he had a genuine quality regista in Carvalho () at sporting.

Also the 4-1-4-1 is present a lot too, particularly in defensive phases or against big sides.

Also despite the *similar* formation, we currently seem quite different. The mixes of roles is a bit different and the emphasis on spacing seems totally different too.

Worth noting that some of our better displays (Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool) - we did seem to go into 4-1-4-1 and look to play on the break. We looked more comfortable stifling possession and looked dangerous on the break, even against top sides.

The tifo vid (although slightly out of date) points out that silva might have made changes due to his lack of trust in a lone 6 (Schneiderlins form, gueyes positional discipline) or in an effort to maximise Gylfi.

Thought that was really interesting as we’ve kind of come around to that POV on here as well haven’t we? Plus there’s @GLewis theory that he is under some kind of pressure to be front foot - even tho he is essentially a counter attacking coach. This fits with our 4-1-4-1 performances I think. No ground breaking results, but good performances?

I don’t know why I do this to myself but I know I said I cba with him anymore - but I wonder if what we’re seeing is really him?

I hope he can put some pragmatic performances together to make it through to next year, and see if silvaball is hiding somewhere in that disjointed squad and inflated expectation..
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 08:32:09 PM by brap2 »
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.