October 16, 2019, 05:02:13 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 126025 times)

January 24, 2019, 08:47:48 PM
Reply #1425

sam of the south

Apologies to any minge enthusiasts but I’ve been doing some thinking after posting this in the Gana thread :

I wanted to see if there was anything that backed up my perception of his ‘style’ at previous clubs compared to now being different so I had a reread of previous articles and a scout about myself :

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2017/02/16/tactical-philosophy-marco-silva/ (You May remember from @Bluedylan posting a while  ago, worth revisiting)

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/head-coach-analysis/marco-silva-everton-tactical-analysis

https://www.fmscout.com/a-marco-silva-hull-fm17-tactic.html (Although it’s aboit FM it’s actually ok)

And finally the tifo series, only linking the Everton one as I’ve linked Watford relatively recently :

First thing I noticed was that despite him saying he likes 433 with a lone playmaking 6, most articles actually picked up that he uses 4-2-3-1 quite consistently, only using the 4-3-3 when he had a genuine quality regista in Carvalho () at sporting.

Also the 4-1-4-1 is present a lot too, particularly in defensive phases or against big sides.

Also despite the *similar* formation, we currently seem quite different. The mixes of roles is a bit different and the emphasis on spacing seems totally different too.

Worth noting that some of our better displays (Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool) - we did seem to go into 4-1-4-1 and look to play on the break. We looked more comfortable stifling possession and looked dangerous on the break, even against top sides.

The tifo vid (although slightly out of date) points out that silva might have made changes due to his lack of trust in a lone 6 (Schneiderlins form, gueyes positional discipline) or in an effort to maximise Gylfi.

Thought that was really interesting as we’ve kind of come around to that POV on here as well haven’t we? Plus there’s @GLewis theory that he is under some kind of pressure to be front foot - even tho he is essentially a counter attacking coach. This fits with our 4-1-4-1 performances I think. No ground breaking results, but good performances?

I don’t know why I do this to myself but I know I said I cba with him anymore - but I wonder if what we’re seeing is really him?

I hope he can put some pragmatic performances together to make it through to next year, and see if silvaball is hiding somewhere in that disjointed squad and inflated expectation..

Cheers for the amazing effort, mate.

So, would that be like two 8’s backing up a lone 10 (in Cleverley) or a 6 behind two 8’s?

If it’s the former, with our current personnel minus Gana, do you think Sigurdsson could do a duo 8 job with either Gomes or Davies with Bernard advanced and linking with the wingers and wing-backs, or would you favour Gomes and Davies behind Sigurdsson or Bernard?
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

January 24, 2019, 08:58:50 PM
Reply #1426

plumber

Do you have a job mate?

Some interesting points by the way.

January 25, 2019, 12:26:21 AM
Reply #1427

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
Formations shmormations.

January 25, 2019, 04:34:51 AM
Reply #1428

van der Meyde

Come on lads.

This idea that Silva is going against his better judgement because he’s somehow under pressure to play attacking football is bollocks.

And if he is? Then he probably isn’t the man for the job if he’s so easily swayed.

January 25, 2019, 05:42:38 AM
Reply #1429

stirlingblue

Cheers for the amazing effort, mate.

So, would that be like two 8's backing up a lone 10 (in Cleverley) or a 6 behind two 8's?

If it's the former, with our current personnel minus Gana, do you think Sigurdsson could do a duo 8 job with either Gomes or Davies with Bernard advanced and linking with the wingers and wing-backs, or would you favour Gomes and Davies behind Sigurdsson or Bernard?

If we’re going for the 6,8,8 model then there is no number 10 in the side.

Sig could maybe do one of the two 8s, he’s definitely got the engine for it I’m just not sure he’s got the discipline.

January 25, 2019, 05:53:15 AM
Reply #1430

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
It’s been talked about but not tried, must be a reason for it.

Either he doesn’t have a 6 he trusts - like other managers he’d rather use gueye as a destroyer who also wanders forward, tracking breaks from the front and making tackles rather than sitting in, spraying passes and sweeping up counters like Fernandinho or Neves.

Or he thinks Gylfi isn’t capable of playing in a 3 and he’s better on the edge of the box. Tbh with you I’d agree with that, if you are going to get any mileage out of him you need him arriving unmarked on the edge of the box providing a finish.Get him into good positions and he is an end product machine. He’s a tall Tim
Cahill who shoots instead of heads the ball.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 25, 2019, 03:37:04 PM
Reply #1431

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Little bit of midfield missing piece miserableness from my boy Stop Bunching! This morning :

Wayne Rooney (27 starts) + Ross Barkley (70 starts) scored combined 23 with 21 assists from midfield role.
Since then all our midfielders Siggy+Klasseen+Gana+Schneiderlin+Davies+Gomes+Bolasie+Bernard+Walcott have 238 starts, 24 goals, 17 assists combined.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 25, 2019, 03:43:02 PM
Reply #1432

Martip

Little bit of midfield missing piece miserableness from my boy Stop Bunching! This morning :

Wayne Rooney (27 starts) + Ross Barkley (70 starts) scored combined 23 with 21 assists from midfield role.
Since then all our midfielders Siggy+Klasseen+Gana+Schneiderlin+Davies+Gomes+Bolasie+Bernard+Walcott have 238 starts, 24 goals, 17 assists combined.
Painful reading tbh

January 25, 2019, 04:27:55 PM
Reply #1433

Mouse

NSNO Subscriber

Gee thanks, a little lift from Gomes yesterday and then you come along and batter me back into the January blues with this  ;)
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.

January 25, 2019, 04:52:13 PM
Reply #1434

BlueForYou

What's the stat if you don't include Siggy?

Or combine Siggy with Rooney and Barkley?
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

January 25, 2019, 08:29:06 PM
Reply #1435

Gash

Global Moderator

It's a bit skewed that stat though. Fair enough it's meant to highlight that we haven't replaced our goalscorers but Klaassen hardly played, Gana, Schneirderlin, Davies, Gomes, Bolasie and Bernard have never been prolific scorers. You might as well add Keane and Pickford into that just to make it look really, really bad. I'm guessing it's over a fairly staggered period given that Barkley's 70 starts must have been over a two season period prior to last season? What's the stats for just Sigurdsson and Walcott with all the others taken out?

January 25, 2019, 08:47:22 PM
Reply #1436

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
It's a bit skewed that stat though. Fair enough it's meant to highlight that we haven't replaced our goalscorers but Klaassen hardly played, Gana, Schneirderlin, Davies, Gomes, Bolasie and Bernard have never been prolific scorers. You might as well add Keane and Pickford into that just to make it look really, really bad. I'm guessing it's over a fairly staggered period given that Barkley's 70 starts must have been over a two season period prior to last season? What's the stats for just Sigurdsson and Walcott with all the others taken out?

Yeah I think the point is our transfers themselves have been skewed and we’ve struggled to replace important parts of a midfield - goals and assists.

In the prem sig and Walcott (not sure on starts sorry) but all appearances :

App : 87

Goals : 19

Assists : 11

Not sure what you can read into really. I would personally expect both of them to be reliable end product players in terms of goals and assists between them, even if they are from set pieces (sig).

January 25, 2019, 11:05:31 PM
Reply #1437

sam of the south

Yeah I think the point is our transfers themselves have been skewed and we’ve struggled to replace important parts of a midfield - goals and assists.

In the prem sig and Walcott (not sure on starts sorry) but all appearances :

App : 87

Goals : 19

Assists : 11

Not sure what you can read into really. I would personally expect both of them to be reliable end product players in terms of goals and assists between them, even if they are from set pieces (sig).

You should expect more ‘productchivitee’ from two high earning attackers playing for a top half side
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

January 26, 2019, 02:31:39 AM
Reply #1438

BlueForYou

5 goals and 6 assists in about 150 starts for Klaassen, Gana, Schneiderlin, Davies, Gomes, Bolasie and Bernard

Throw McCarthy in the mix

All yours, Ademola

"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

January 27, 2019, 01:21:02 AM
Reply #1439

Martip

Any chance Silva might work on defending set pieces at some point this season ?