October 21, 2019, 12:39:31 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 128394 times)

nsno and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

January 28, 2019, 07:35:23 PM
Reply #1515

Shogun

Administrator
Wish people would stop saying our season is over.

We’re three points off 7th.

Far from over.

Unless United, City or Chelsea fail to win the FA Cup.

Not sure I can be arsed with our season starting in July again anyway.

January 28, 2019, 07:40:04 PM
Reply #1516

Martip

Yes and no. This is probably his best position. Central enough to get within the lines of the goalposts and without responsibility do much else. Earlier in his career he drifted out to the left hand side and fizzed in loads of crosses to Llorente as well as bagging a load himself but I just don't think he has the energy for that now. Plus we have no-one dominant to aim for in the middle.

I think he's suffering from not having a striker worthy of the name up top and wingers who hardly trouble the scorers either. Plus a midfield two who offer nothing offensively.

Oh I don't know. I try and justify his selection and all I seem to do is end up making excuses for him.
All fair points. Tbf I think he justifies his selection with his goals and assists as we have no other options capable of posting anything like his figures.

January 28, 2019, 08:25:47 PM
Reply #1517

sam of the south

Yes and no. This is probably his best position. Central enough to get within the lines of the goalposts and without responsibility do much else. Earlier in his career he drifted out to the left hand side and fizzed in loads of crosses to Llorente as well as bagging a load himself but I just don't think he has the energy for that now. Plus we have no-one dominant to aim for in the middle.

I think he's suffering from not having a striker worthy of the name up top and wingers who hardly trouble the scorers either. Plus a midfield two who offer nothing offensively.

Oh I don't know. I try and justify his selection and all I seem to do is end up making excuses for him.

Yes and no, again, really.

It’s tricky, because he knows where the net is and he can play a lovely throughball but he’s only usually deep enough to try one once we are late in a game that we are inevitably not winning, and he’s been deployed deeper because Silva’s thrown another attacker on.

And if he is on the start of a physical decline like you hint at, maybe he would be even more suited to dropping deeper, plus that would really help our shape.
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

January 28, 2019, 08:32:54 PM
Reply #1518

Lxxx

It’s tricky, because he knows where the net is and he can play a lovely throughball but he’s only usually deep enough to try one once we are late in a game that we are inevitably not winning, and he’s been deployed deeper because Silva’s thrown another attacker on.

And if he is on the start of a physical decline like you hint at, maybe he would be even more suited to dropping deeper, plus that would really help our shape.

Agreed. We really need to sign a first choice striker before we move him back though as we need his goal threat up top. He is a conundrum which needs solving but it probably won't be this season.

January 29, 2019, 12:10:00 AM
Reply #1519

kramer0

Would be nice to have some actual evidence as to whether or not the team can score enough without Sigurdsson on the pitch.

If he starts some matches on the bench and our chance creation craters then, fair enough, he needs to be in the starting lineup.

But my hunch is that we'd control matches better, the other attackers would pick up the slack, and we'd be fine.

January 29, 2019, 01:07:19 AM
Reply #1520

NickNack

Didn’t he play a deeper role vs Burnley away?

January 29, 2019, 01:20:18 AM
Reply #1521

sam of the south

Would be nice to have some actual evidence as to whether or not the team can score enough without Sigurdsson on the pitch.

If he starts some matches on the bench and our chance creation craters then, fair enough, he needs to be in the starting lineup.

But my hunch is that we'd control matches better, the other attackers would pick up the slack, and we'd be fine.

We started without him at Brighton, but we had three at the back, so we relinquished midfield control anyway
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

January 29, 2019, 01:21:11 AM
Reply #1522

sam of the south

Yeah, it was him and Gomes ahead of a back 3
Henry David Thoreau

January 29, 2019, 01:26:22 AM
Reply #1523

Martip

Definately think we need to try something new in the middle of the part but don't share your confidence that his goals and assists would be covered elsewhere.

I am sssuming dropping Sig would mean pulling Bernard across and he's only got 3 assists from 20 pl games vs Sigs 3 and 9 goals. I just can't see he'd bring that much fluidity to make up that shortfall from what I've seen.

January 29, 2019, 01:35:12 AM
Reply #1524

Lxxx

Definately think we need to try something new in the middle of the part but don't share your confidence that his goals and assists would be covered elsewhere.

I am sssuming dropping Sig would mean pulling Bernard across and he's only got 3 assists from 20 pl games vs Sigs 3 and 9 goals. I just can't see he'd bring that much fluidity to make up that shortfall from what I've seen.

The point is no-one knows, as Silva doesn’t seem to want to experiment with the midfield.

January 29, 2019, 01:59:34 AM
Reply #1525

Dr. Sponge

The chemistry isn’t right in he middle, that’s for sure. We’re not a unit and we’re not often cutting through teams.

So it goes to the fullback that’s in an advanced position, which is OK when it’s Digne but Coleman is weak as piss going forward these days.

We haven’t got a centre forward who holds it up brilliantly or works the channels.

So we’re handicapped with our only major threat coming from the left, or Sigurdson coming finding space on the edge of the area.

Silva needs to find a threat from somewhere else, we’re too predictable at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

January 29, 2019, 02:36:36 AM
Reply #1526

Bluenose 91

I don't think we have any combination of midfielders good enough to successfully control a match tbh.

January 29, 2019, 02:49:15 AM
Reply #1527

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
That stop bunching fella advocated for a spurs style diamond didn’t he, until we could make a couple of changes. Although even that depends on a good right back. (Attached)

Pressing Creative Player

Link Player   Box to Box

Ball Winner

Wouldn’t be against seeing it, but we’d obviously have to swap a few due to transfers so far.

Sigurdsson

Davies Gomes
      Gana

Sigurdsson

McCarthy Gomes
       Gana

And although we’ll never see it and probably for good reason.

Bernard

Sig Gomes
   Gana

I’d be happy to see Bernard in the creative position in any of the above. I’d be happy to see DCL in the forward position. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 05:06:27 AM by brap2 »
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 29, 2019, 05:00:30 AM
Reply #1528

markB

Yes I did, had a bad game but he wasn't the worst

you would need to be in the game to have a bad game

January 29, 2019, 05:43:26 AM
Reply #1529

Mayor Farnum

Yes but the overall performance was no better than ok. We had a big leg up scoring from three set pieces in the first twenty minutes.
Something clever written by someone else.