October 20, 2019, 01:08:26 PM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 127944 times)

February 12, 2019, 06:41:26 PM
Reply #1605

Juanito

I like Bernard, he is a very creative player & is on 3 (+1 for Leicester so 4 really) assists for the year which isn't bad, same as firmino, brooks, Silva, Madison, Barkley.

His shot map is terrible though, doesn't offer much goal threat at the moment and he does fall over a lot which fans never like.

I'm circling back to Richarlison up front so we can get more talented players on the pitch. Lesser of evils in regards to our strikers isn't it and we have actually managed to win games with Richarlison up there.

Bernard Richarlison Lookman

It's a ball losing machine with nobody to make it stick but, it's more talent, more 1v1 players and there's pace about it.

Play a nice settled three man midfield behind and get gylfi off to Shendong.

I like the idea of those three up top (in a 4-3-3) because as much as Richarlison has not been great with his back to goal, I still think we would be better if we learnt to use him as a false 9, see him drop off and run at players. Rather than hoofing it up to him or hopeful balls into the box. I would like to see  a midfield 3 that could sit and the front three attack on the counter.  Meaning Sigurdsson would have to sit deeper.  It makes me think of the 3-0 job we did against Arsenal at Goodison, when Barry, McCarthy and Barkley sat deep, while Lukaku on the right, Naismith as a 9 and Mirallas on the left sprung counter attacks.  I would prefer a front three of Lookman, Richarlison and Bernard but I think the missing link to our current side is a Barry.

At the moment, this 4-2-3-1 lark has been painstakingly slow and predictable for months. Change it, Silva.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 06:42:38 PM by Juanito »

February 13, 2019, 05:54:28 PM
Reply #1606

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
112 PL midfielders>1000 mins this season.
Ordered by volume passes made in opposition final third.
*Scrolls down list*
*keeps scrolling*
Bernard
Gomes
Davies
*keeps scrolling*
*keeps scrolling*
"must have missed it - go back to check - nope"
*keeps scrolling*
Sigurdsson
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

February 13, 2019, 05:57:12 PM
Reply #1607

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber

February 13, 2019, 06:11:34 PM
Reply #1608

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/curious-case-gylfi-sigurdssons-everton-15820966

But the echo reckon he’s as good as eriksen

They've gone into PR overdrive for him today. Posted that article about 10 times and had a few of their writers talking about it on twitter.

Not the first 'stats' article they've done on him this year either!
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

February 13, 2019, 06:43:51 PM
Reply #1609

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
They've gone into PR overdrive for him today. Posted that article about 10 times and had a few of their writers talking about it on twitter.

Not the first 'stats' article they've done on him this year either!

Yeah, all the strikers fault according to them.

February 13, 2019, 07:30:19 PM
Reply #1610

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah, all the strikers fault according to them.

There's *something* in it, but it's quite a basic argument and it's quickly dismissed by the stats you've given above I think.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

February 13, 2019, 07:56:06 PM
Reply #1611

kramer0

In terms of passes, Sigurdsson is involved in substantially less than Eriksen. He averages just 27.12 passes per 90 minutes with a success rate of 74.7%. Eriksen, however, averages 53.92 passes per 90 minutes with a success rate of 83.1%.

This is the issue in a nutshell. Spurs are a better side so you'd expect Eriksen to play more passes. But not twice as many.

Our attacking woes aren't purely down to a lack of dangerous players. We haven't been able to get our wingers and forwards on the ball in promising positions often enough because of the midfield. A "creative" midfielder who plays 27 passes per 90 is death for good build-ups.

February 13, 2019, 09:49:47 PM
Reply #1612

Evertonian in NC

Of course, I think Eriksen is perhaps the most underrated player on the continent.  I'd pay through the nose for him, were I a DoF somewhere.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

February 13, 2019, 10:45:32 PM
Reply #1613

Martip

112 PL midfielders>1000 mins this season.
Ordered by volume passes made in opposition final third.
*Scrolls down list*
*keeps scrolling*
Bernard
Gomes
Davies
*keeps scrolling*
*keeps scrolling*
"must have missed it - go back to check - nope"
*keeps scrolling*
Sigurdsson
2018/2019

Matches 27
Goals 9
Assists 3

February 13, 2019, 10:51:25 PM
Reply #1614

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
2018/2019

Matches 27
Goals 9
Assists 3

That’s completing missing the point though.

We’re one of the least creative teams in the league with what should be our main creative outlet averaging 25 passes a game.

That’s a massive problem.

February 13, 2019, 11:03:32 PM
Reply #1615

KoemansNumberTens

2018/2019

Matches 27
Goals 9
Assists 3

We can’t trade being in control of football matches for 9 goals and 3 assists

February 13, 2019, 11:05:11 PM
Reply #1616

Bluedylan

Just looking at numbers is how Steve Walsh and Koeman functioned, and we saw how that went.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

February 13, 2019, 11:09:06 PM
Reply #1617

Martip

That’s completing missing the point though.

We’re one of the least creative teams in the league with what should be our main creative outlet averaging 25 passes a game.

That’s a massive problem.
I get the point you are making but I think its a similar situation to what we had with Lukaku when people slagging him off for what he didn't do....until he left and we couldn't replace him then everyone cried.

The whole stats thing is completely flawed for me as the rest of our attack other than Richarlison are completely ineffective. Numerous times I've seen Sig make what should be great assists only for knobs like Walcott to fluff their lines.

People can quote this or that stat about Bernard being better but I think we have seen he is no where near as effective when and where it matters.

We also have no striker worthy of the title so again reduced assists and less intelligent runs for key passes etc. I am very confident as soon as we get a decent striker and a bit more quality around him in midfield he 'll be smashing it and I don't think it's fair to single him out for team deficiencies.

February 13, 2019, 11:11:17 PM
Reply #1618

Martip

We can’t trade being in control of football matches for 9 goals and 3 assists
We also can't blame one player for shape and team personnel issues.

February 13, 2019, 11:26:42 PM
Reply #1619

kramer0

I get the point you are making but I think its a similar situation to what we had with Lukaku when people slagging him off for what he didn't do....until he left and we couldn't replace him then everyone cried.

Nah. For all of his flaws, Lukaku was an attack unto himself. He propped up some terrible attacking game plans in his time here because you could just lump the ball into the channels or into the box for him and there was a chance he'd make something of it.

Sigurdsson doesn't offer anything like that safety net. If someone else doesn't tee him up with a chance to shoot, cross, or play a through ball, he's not offering much of anything. That's why I disagree when people compare him to Cahill. Yeah, Cahill was a goal-scoring attacking midfielder who didn't provide much on the ball but boiling him down to that conveniently ignores all the scrapping he did to win us the ball in the final third.

If Sigurdsson was winning us the ball high up the pitch on top of the goals and assists, or offering something during build-ups on top of the goals and assists, we'd be a much better side and not even debating this.

We also can't blame one player for shape and team personnel issues.

Sure, you can. The midfield looks entirely different with Davies in the team, giving the other midfielders another option off the ball.