October 16, 2019, 02:34:00 PM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 126115 times)

February 28, 2019, 04:44:25 PM
Reply #1695

BlueBeagle

Another massive about-face on a player I see.

Now he's the answer to our prayers after a brief cameo against a shit side.

From whipping boy to saviour in 90 minutes.

Phenomenal.

February 28, 2019, 05:44:58 PM
Reply #1696

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

Phenomenal.

I hear what you're saying, and Id just like to say - captains armband, yes or no?
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

February 28, 2019, 06:32:08 PM
Reply #1697

gizzblue

Phenomenal.

Don't really think anyone thinks he's the saviour ...but if he pulls his tripe out he deserves minutes .. as does anyone who's giving their all .
Born not made a blue .

February 28, 2019, 06:40:11 PM
Reply #1698

Bluedylan

Phenomenal.

It's better to keep an open mind about players (and people in general) and be willing to change your opinion, rather than just sticking to one fixed opinion that was formed a while ago. That's a strength in people, not a weakness.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

February 28, 2019, 06:47:03 PM
Reply #1699

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber

Phenomenal.

Think we're just willing to be open to his return as he has qualities nobody else in the midfield has.

Plus it was one post where the word 'hero' was very much used tongue in cheek.
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

March 01, 2019, 12:44:24 AM
Reply #1700

eyesalwaysblue

Great if all our signings turn to gold....
I still despise Clive Thomas..

March 01, 2019, 01:45:17 AM
Reply #1701

Jamokachi

I wonder if we're seeing a Gana/Silva development in the mould of Kante/Sarri? Gana definitely had more license to get about the pitch on Tuesday. I could see it working, but a hell of a lot relies on Morgan being able to string a few performances together.

The 'axes of doom' as I think @kramer0 described a holding two of Morgan and Gana may not be quite so terrible if the latter has been told just to go and be a mad bastard all over midfield and not be so positionally disciplined.

March 01, 2019, 01:51:08 AM
Reply #1702

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I wonder if we're seeing a Gana/Silva development in the mould of Kante/Sarri? Gana definitely had more license to get about the pitch on Tuesday. I could see it working, but a hell of a lot relies on Morgan being able to string a few performances together.

The 'axes of doom' as I think @kramer0 described a holding two of Morgan and Gana may not be quite so terrible if the latter has been told just to go and be a mad bastard all over midfield and not be so positionally disciplined.

What we had with koeman unsworth and allardyce though wasn't it?

Gueye ending up furthest forward and pressing from the front. Works to an extent but (great assist) aside on Tuesday, he just isn't a very effective player going forward in terms of passing.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

March 01, 2019, 02:00:29 AM
Reply #1703

Jamokachi

What we had with koeman unsworth and allardyce though wasn't it?

Gueye ending up furthest forward and pressing from the front. Works to an extent but (great assist) aside on Tuesday, he just isn't a very effective player going forward in terms of passing.

I dunno, under Koeman it felt more like they both hung back an occupied the same space. That was the issue really and why our midfield was so turgid. Everything seemed to change from game to game with Unsworth, and Allardyce, well that was just to bypass the midfield really.

I have no idea if it can work. It did on Tuesday, but the opposition was awful. I'd be keen to see it a few more times before deciding though. What else do we have in these last few games but an opportunity to experiment.

March 01, 2019, 02:43:45 AM
Reply #1704

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I dunno, under Koeman it felt more like they both hung back an occupied the same space. That was the issue really and why our midfield was so turgid. Everything seemed to change from game to game with Unsworth, and Allardyce, well that was just to bypass the midfield really.

I have no idea if it can work. It did on Tuesday, but the opposition was awful. I'd be keen to see it a few more times before deciding though. What else do we have in these last few games but an opportunity to experiment.

Fair. And I did see a fairly respected footy journalist and analyst/scout say that this is the most balanced midfield we can put out with Morgan, Gana and Gylfi.

He does literally HATE Andre gomes tho so maybe it fitted his agenda. Plus Paul Riley who I back disagreed strongly. Although he HATES Morgan, so you know.

March 01, 2019, 04:04:28 AM
Reply #1705

BlueBeagle

It's better to keep an open mind about players (and people in general) and be willing to change your opinion, rather than just sticking to one fixed opinion that was formed a while ago. That's a strength in people, not a weakness.

It's better to give it a little bit longer than a single appearance before completely changing your opinion of a player. To be so easily swayed from your original point of view is a weakness, not a strength.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 04:06:32 AM by BlueBeagle »

March 01, 2019, 04:48:43 AM
Reply #1706

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber

Kante has always had good ability on the ball which means he can play a more advanced role.

I don’t think Gana is as bad as made out by some with the ball, but you won’t get anything consistent out of him in that role.

Wouldn’t be against it though. Morgan can pick a pass from deep and reads the game very well, something Gana can lack.

We suddenly have options in the midfield now. I’d personally like to see a three of Davies, Gana and Sigurdsson for the derby.

Davies plugs the gap that comes with having Sigurdsson in the midfield and has the best usage of the ball out of everyone in that midfield.

Think we’ll see a lot of chopping and changing now as silva looks towards next season and evaluates who can be a part of this rumoured midfield revamp.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 04:49:54 AM by TheRam »
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

March 01, 2019, 06:00:03 AM
Reply #1707

eyesalwaysblue

Wouldn't like to be the one deciding the midfield for sunday, getting complicated.
I still despise Clive Thomas..

March 01, 2019, 03:07:24 PM
Reply #1708

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I think Gomes was definitely rested so there's one. Plus he played well in the away fixture.

Gana clearly won't be dropped so there's your second.

Sigurdsson just scored two at the weekend, so unless he decides to put him in the false 9 for the first time since unsworth, or puts him out wide, there's your third man.

Only question is up top and out left I think. Whatever happens I think you need Richarlison on the pitch bad form or no, we might just need one moment and he can provide even when playing bad.

I'd personally like him on the right with Bernard on the left, but I don't think that will happen because we'll be playing on the break, so DCL up top and big Theodore on the right.

March 01, 2019, 07:45:59 PM
Reply #1709

Lxxx

This is a guy who pretty much all the fan base wrote off after two year of absolute dross, interspersed with a handful of decent games. A competent performance against one of the poorest sides the Premier League has seen in recent years isn't really enough to change that perspective.

If he wants to turn it around and prove he can do it consistently then great, but 90 minutes is too small a sample size.