October 19, 2019, 05:06:09 PM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 127451 times)

Hesmenos and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

March 10, 2019, 02:31:14 PM
Reply #1755

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah if Pickford had a decent understudy he would be dropped

March 10, 2019, 02:44:04 PM
Reply #1756

Lxxx

He wouldn’t be dropped. He’s still a decent keeper but he needs a strong word in his ear, either from his manager or from an experienced goalkeeping coach, to try and instil some calmness into his game.

He’s erratic but still got a load of potential.

March 10, 2019, 03:51:33 PM
Reply #1757

BlueForYou

Well, put a Mackem in GeordieLand (maybe Newcastle fans were calling him Jordan Logan?!)

Bobby Robson called "the two best players I ever worked with" Kevin Beattie and Gazza, both "as daft as a brush"

JP probably fits that term, he'll cost us a few goals but save us a lot more - love him! 
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

March 10, 2019, 04:09:38 PM
Reply #1758

Martip

For me it's not just the mistakes and erratic play it's more the impact this has on us and the opposition.

The mental strength of our defenders seems to be really weak and his beak induced flapping really does not help matters.

Similarly teams can be down and out in a game with us ala Newcastle then he starts tripping off his tits which gives them an in and some confidence.

I'd much rather have a calmer goalkeeper who controls his area/communicates with his defenders without having a shouting fit and think this would reap dividends throughout the rest of the team.

Look at the best goalkeepers in the prem atm.....none of them behave like a kid in their first day at nursery.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 04:14:35 PM by Martip »

March 10, 2019, 04:31:17 PM
Reply #1759

KoemansNumberTens

Well, put a Mackem in GeordieLand (maybe Newcastle fans were calling him Jordan Logan?!)

Bobby Robson called "the two best players I ever worked with" Kevin Beattie and Gazza, both "as daft as a brush"

JP probably fits that term, he'll cost us a few goals but save us a lot more - love him! 

He’s been amongst the worst in the league this season (I might be being generous with even that)
Think he’s top for mistakes leading to goals.

March 10, 2019, 05:51:07 PM
Reply #1760

Mayor Farnum

At least he showed us yesterday why he hasn't come for a cross in two years.
Something clever written by someone else.

March 10, 2019, 08:31:03 PM
Reply #1761

formerKHL

Personally ....I  highly rate Pickford....

I think people tend to forget he’s been propelled into the limelight at a very early age due to his performances for England which in the main have been very good....also remember yesterday for his  1 flap at across and caused their pen.....he actually saved the pen and later made a great low down save which would have made it 2-1 for them at the time......

March 10, 2019, 10:18:22 PM
Reply #1762

Lxxx

Yesterday was always going to be a game where his temperament was likely to be called into play.

It needed his manager and captain, or another experienced head, to get in his ear all week and before the game to keep a lid on him and calm him down. I’m sure Silva and Sig know all about the rivalry in the north east but do they really understand it? The result was like watching an exciteable puppy prance around, on the highlights reel I saw anyway.

Maybe this is what is lacking at the moment, both managerially and squad-wise. With such a churn over a short space of time there doesn’t seem to be much leadership or backbone running through us at the moment.

March 10, 2019, 10:40:34 PM
Reply #1763

BlueForYou

In comparison, Big Nev at 25 was loaned out to 4th Division Port Vale for a couple of months and only regained his place in Everton's first team because of an injury to Jim Arnold

We all learn in different ways and JP is still learning

"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

March 10, 2019, 11:31:17 PM
Reply #1764

KoemansNumberTens

Personally ....I  highly rate Pickford....

I think people tend to forget he’s been propelled into the limelight at a very early age due to his performances for England which in the main have been very good....also remember yesterday for his  1 flap at across and caused their pen.....he actually saved the pen and later made a great low down save which would have made it 2-1 for them at the time......

The equaliser was completely his fault.

March 11, 2019, 04:07:15 AM
Reply #1765

formerKHL

The equaliser was completely his fault.

What you mean the deflection that went under his body ?

March 11, 2019, 01:29:01 PM
Reply #1766

KoemansNumberTens

What you mean the deflection that went under his body ?

Wasn’t the equaliser the long range shot right down his throat that he managed to take all the power off and leave in the middle of his goal? That’s absolutely his fault when the rebound gets put in

March 12, 2019, 12:29:01 AM
Reply #1767

formerKHL

Apologies you’re right the equaliser was the “punch out” however watch it from our end and you see how much the ball moves in the air....unfortunately the goalkeeping trend nowadays is to punch the ball rather than catch the bleeding thing.....sometimes they go out sometimes they don’t....

If we’da Gone on to win 3-2 rather than lose 3-2 that “save” probably wouldn’t have got mentioned....

Hindsight I know but....

March 12, 2019, 03:53:37 AM
Reply #1768

Jamokachi

Keepers punch the ball because of how light and flighty they are. He's far from the only one that does this. Also, perhaps if defenders were tracking their man Perez wouldn't be first to the ball. Conceding a goal has it's faults in more than one area of the play. Pickford had a mare on Saturday, but he's just come off the back of two clean sheets including a strong display against one of the best attacking teams in world football at the moment. Let's have a bit of perspective.

March 12, 2019, 08:42:43 AM
Reply #1769

Ramjam

He needs to concentrate on what’s going on during the game and forget about winding the supporters up, time enough for that if we win but egg on your face when we don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using NSNO Everton Forums
WE ARE THE PEOPLE