October 21, 2019, 07:23:40 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 128606 times)

April 27, 2019, 05:22:15 PM
Reply #1800

Mayor Farnum

We've definitely gone more direct in the last 6 weeks or so. Maybe that's because we've been playing top 4/6 opposition but the more direct style has been noticeable.
Something clever written by someone else.

April 27, 2019, 05:37:33 PM
Reply #1801

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I would agree.

We are also hunting in packs nice and high up with pitch and breaking at a million miles an hour.

Our problem is when playing a team that don't want 50%+ of the ball and we can't fly forward on the break.

What is it they used to say about Silva's Olympiakos, that they would be more comfortable giving the ball back to the opposition so they could hit them on the break something like that?

P's mods please put this in the Playbook thread
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

April 28, 2019, 12:05:09 AM
Reply #1802

sam of the south

We still rely on crosses too much, but the fact he’s addressed the set piece issues, and got us creating many more chances whilst lessening the good chances we give the opposition, I’m really positive going into the post season.

Add this to the fact that Brands seems to be most organised and ultra clear in his remit and vision, I can only see us improving year on year from hereon in.
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

April 28, 2019, 12:26:30 AM
Reply #1803

Dr. Sponge

Listening to radio phone ins last couple of weeks 606/talksport -  presenters were asking what has happened at everton why are we winning more games..........they could not come up with an answer
I thinks its fairly obvious surely - we get the ball up to the last third very quickly now - pickford now nine times out of ten will go more direct - passes the ball to sig/ dcl straightaway - rather than pass the ball sideways from the back
its a more direct way of playing and gets results and we are creating chances immediately rather than offering a slow build up from the back and petering out to nothing or having to start again
quicker pace and more movement in last third of the pitch......would you agree?

Yeah we’re definitely more direct, it suits us with DCL. As brap says though, we need an additional plan for the lesser teams next season, because they’re more equipped to deal with the direct plays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

April 28, 2019, 12:59:39 AM
Reply #1804

Macca77

It's coming together nicely

April 28, 2019, 02:06:27 AM
Reply #1805

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
I just think when you’re playing a team that are organised and effectively parking the bus for 90 minutes hoping to catch you on the break, it’s not that easy to pass the ball through the middle of the park into the net.

Sometimes you’ve just gotta get the ball at the feet of your wingers, buy a yard and pump a difficult ball in there.

If we still had Lukaku on the end of things we’d have pumped Palace today.

April 28, 2019, 02:13:28 AM
Reply #1806

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Nothing wrong with crossing ball.

City and Liverpool score countless goals off them.

It’s not like we just lob it in there and hope for the best. We’re very considered and have quality when putting the ball into the box.
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

April 28, 2019, 02:37:20 AM
Reply #1807

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Nothing wrong with crossing ball.

City and Liverpool score countless goals off them.

It’s not like we just lob it in there and hope for the best. We’re very considered and have quality when putting the ball into the box.

I'm fine with it generally but, crosses are different to cut backs, and crosses typically produce lots of low quality chances rather a big clear cut chances.

We have massive volumes of crosses, but mid table big chances, so we're not that considered I wouldn't say.

26 efforts today but our xg was a little over 1. We should have won the game no doubt but finishing is less of a problem than creating good clear chances.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

April 28, 2019, 02:49:11 AM
Reply #1808

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
I'm fine with it generally but, crosses are different to cut backs, and crosses typically produce lots of low quality chances rather a big clear cut chances.

We have massive volumes of crosses, but mid table big chances, so we're not that considered I wouldn't say.

26 efforts today but our xg was a little over 1. We should have won the game no doubt but finishing is less of a problem than creating good clear chances.

I’d say we created three clear cut chances today, two from crosses, one from a Coleman cut back.

Thing is, they fell to DCL and Tosun and when that happens you’re going to have problems scoring.

We could crest more chances, yeah, but that’s the nature with being a midtable team.

We have a proper striker on there today and we win.

If we create a clear cut one on one chance for DCL do we have much faith in him slotting?

Also, the XG won’t account for the amount of times Richarlison failed to get his head up and pick out Sigurdsson in the box countless times. He plays the pass there and we know what happens when sig finds the ball in the box.

Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

April 28, 2019, 03:10:21 AM
Reply #1809

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
I'd say we created three clear cut chances today, two from crosses, one from a Coleman cut back.

Thing is, they fell to DCL and Tosun and when that happens you're going to have problems scoring.

We could crest more chances, yeah, but that's the nature with being a midtable team.

If we create a clear cut one on one chance for DCL do we have much faith in him slotting?

Also, the XG won't account for the amount of times Richarlison failed to get his head up and pick out Sigurdsson in the box countless times. He plays the pass there and we know what happens when sig finds the ball in the box.
Tosun was massively unlucky with that chance tbf
Simply simply lovely

April 28, 2019, 03:16:07 AM
Reply #1810

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I’d say we created three clear cut chances today, two from crosses, one from a Coleman cut back.

Thing is, they fell to DCL and Tosun and when that happens you’re going to have problems scoring.

We could crest more chances, yeah, but that’s the nature with being a midtable team.

Also, the XG won’t account for the amount of times Richarlison failed to get his head up and pick out Sigurdsson in the box countless times. He plays the pass there and we know what happens when sig finds the ball in the box.

I mean as an overarching theme, if you rely on crosses with no plan B then you will struggle to create good, clear cut chances, especially against grocks who sit deep. If you don't think today was a very obvious example of that then fair enough.

Re individual examples, yes it's possible to make good chances, yes it's possible that if buts and maybes and we get one. Like I say we should have won today in all honesty, but we weren't missing big juicy opportunities we just weren't making them like.

I don't hate it, crosses are probably underrated by xg tbh and like you say, we don't really have a real gunman in there finishing anything that moves, and with better movement and instinct it would help move our numbers up a bit more...I just think the idea a new cf is a silver bullet is wrong, and what you'll probably see is the ball flying over the head of someone who looks like DCL or Tosun but who cost 50m.

April 28, 2019, 04:03:38 AM
Reply #1811

Lxxx

Tosun was massively unlucky with that chance tbf

Unlucky or not the end result is still the same. We’re still not clinical enough.

April 28, 2019, 04:27:13 AM
Reply #1812

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Unlucky or not the end result is still the same. We're still not clinical enough.
I totally agree but there wasn't much more he could do there

Dcl wasted the better chances imo
Simply simply lovely

April 28, 2019, 04:44:19 AM
Reply #1813

UnsyisaRhino

Unlucky or not the end result is still the same. We’re still not clinical enough.

The entire team was wasteful in the final third though, it's not like dom even had one clear cut chance from what I can remember

April 28, 2019, 05:10:48 PM
Reply #1814

everton15

playing more direct - pickford playing more passes direct to last third rather than playing sideways to digne/coleman - resulting in faster football and not slow build ups that peter out haflwayup the pitch? nod