September 21, 2019, 08:32:44 PM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 104618 times)

May 06, 2019, 05:31:29 AM
Reply #1860

stirlingblue

Trying to look back and watch that season as a whole is really difficult.

The long patch of poor form in the middle of the season was mystifying, first time in my life I’ve happily not watched Everton play.

If I assume that’s a freak incident and won’t be a reoccurrence then I’m happy with Silva, but I don’t know whether it will repeat itself.

Biggest surprise of the season was how good we were at defending (esp. from open play) once we got going.

May 06, 2019, 01:42:43 PM
Reply #1861

Jamokachi

The long patch of poor form in the middle of the season was mystifying, first time in my life I've happily not watched Everton play.

Wasn’t as bad as winning/drawing/losing under Sam.

May 06, 2019, 01:43:38 PM
Reply #1862

Toddacelli

I don't consider allardyce's time here as a tenure of management, someone was just keeping the engine ticking over so it didn't seize up entirely.

Makes perfect sense to apply the greasiest manager you can find in this situation.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

May 06, 2019, 03:40:41 PM
Reply #1863

stirlingblue

Wasn't as bad as winning/drawing/losing under Sam.

I think it’s because it came after sitting through Allardyce, it was just the straw that broke the camel’s back

May 06, 2019, 04:34:38 PM
Reply #1864

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
I think it’s because it came after sitting through Allardyce, it was just the straw that broke the camel’s back

Think we’ve been a lot worse under Martinez, Koeman and even Moyes at times.

Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

May 06, 2019, 04:37:41 PM
Reply #1865

Thornton_19

Koeman had the luxury of Lukaku. As soon as he lost him we saw how shit a manager he was.

May 07, 2019, 06:04:58 AM
Reply #1866

sam of the south

Hiya mate, still here, but theres not a great deal to be said is there?

Nothing to be gained from being needlessly negative right at the end of the season when we can't really be sure of what we're seeing.

There's not typically a good correlation between end of season form and the corresponding season either so I'm not getting too excited, but the last few mins of a roller-coaster are always the best I suppose.

I disagree with form not carrying over. We finished ‘95 very strongly in the league and winning the FA Cup, and we continued that into the next season playing some great stuff and finishing in the Top 6.

And winning the FA Cup in ‘84 then carried on into ‘84-‘85 which was our best season of all-time.
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

May 07, 2019, 06:42:50 AM
Reply #1867

Shogun

Administrator
Koeman had the luxury of Lukaku. As soon as he lost him we saw how shit a manager he was.

An unpopular opinion but Koeman was hard done to in my opinion.

He kept going on in every press conference that we needed a striker and a CB but got fucked over by Walsh who went on a jolly to Italy and come back with Vlasic on the final day.

I think he got sacked ten matches into the season but the only bad result in that (ignore score lines) was Burnley at home who went on to finish 7th anyway.

Going back I’d rather keep him than eventually end up with Sam Allardyce.

Might all have been worth it now we’ve got Marco and Marcel on board though, the latter especially.

May 07, 2019, 04:20:31 PM
Reply #1868

dazfrancis

Agree with the 2nd and last sentences of Shog's post.

Maybe Koeman was hard done by but I feel Silva has a higher ceiling and probably understands that he needs to win something at Everton rather than us just being another stepping stone on the way to the Barca job

May 07, 2019, 04:33:33 PM
Reply #1869

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Nah, not having that about Koeman.

Walsh was serving up players but he wasn’t interested in anything outside of the premier league or Holland because he’s a lazy cunt who couldn’t be arsed putting in the work.

Spent more time drinking wine in alderley edge than he did at finch farm.

We weren’t even that good in his first season.
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

May 07, 2019, 04:48:57 PM
Reply #1870

sam of the south

Yeah, Koeman was, and is, a cock.

The football wasn’t progressive in the slightest either.
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

May 07, 2019, 04:53:12 PM
Reply #1871

KoemansNumberTens

Personally I think koeman fucked up walsh’s prospects rather than the other way round.

Lazy sums the man up.

May 07, 2019, 04:57:46 PM
Reply #1872

BlueBeagle

Let's not play down the total ineptitude of Walsh please (despite how shit Koeman was/is).

The man had a say in all of the piss poor dealings that were concluded.

If he didn't, he essentially failed at his job as DoF.

May 07, 2019, 05:38:38 PM
Reply #1873

Lxxx

Walsh was promoted way over his ability and into a situation where there was only one winner.

I'm not excusing his ineptitude but I don't think it was all his fault. Should never have been appointed in the first place and the blame has got to go to Moshiri in this instance.

May 07, 2019, 05:45:42 PM
Reply #1874

KoemansNumberTens

Let's not play down the total ineptitude of Walsh please (despite how shit Koeman was/is).

The man had a say in all of the piss poor dealings that were concluded.

If he didn't, he essentially failed at his job as DoF.

He was weak and so easily bullied. Of course he failed but I think the vast majority is on koeman who just saw us as an easy life. We appointed him for the Southampton rebuilds that we’re actually done by a director of football