September 19, 2019, 05:20:40 PM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 103927 times)

May 09, 2019, 07:06:50 PM
Reply #1875

markB

ok some will know I am not his biggest fan but I am warming to him

what will get me over the line with him . well no more playing players that are not doing it (lookman/wallcot) learn a plan b and be quick about it , away set up and results need to get better

took a long time to workout are best 11 to long in my book , but worked it out and now onlys needs to workout how to play away form home

no point going on about signings as that will be more Brands than Marco

I have seen players improve under him not seen that with an Everton managers in a long time

so what are your pros and cons with him and are you like me starting to warm to him (doing this before the last game as 8th or 10th is a big sway for a lot of members)

P.S being better than the last few mangers is not a point of measurement

May 09, 2019, 07:56:55 PM
Reply #1876

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Here's how we compare to the rest of the league.

Prem non pen xg created table (read as : quality and quantity of chances created not including pens) ranking : 13th (shite)

Prem non pen xg conceded table (quality and quantity of chances allowed pens excluded) ranking : 7th (promising!)

I imagine if you look at comparative form since the break we will have improved that but there's no shirking the fact teams like Southampton and West Ham have been more dangerous than us.

Before you kick off, just ask yourself if anything other than where Everton are stands out to you as wrong please.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

May 09, 2019, 08:24:29 PM
Reply #1877

Crackling

NSNO Subscriber
Here's how we compare to the rest of the league.

Prem non pen xg created table (read as : quality and quantity of chances created not including pens) ranking : 13th (shite)

Prem non pen xg conceded table (quality and quantity of chances allowed pens excluded) ranking : 7th (promising!)

I imagine if you look at comparative form since the break we will have improved that but there's no shirking the fact teams like Southampton and West Ham have been more dangerous than us.

Before you kick off, just ask yourself if anything other than where Everton are stands out to you as wrong please.
Pretty much expected,  but it is going to be massively skewed by the form and style while the team were getting used to Silva's demands. Is there one that covers the last 3rd of the season? That's probably what we should expect next season.

May 10, 2019, 02:09:32 AM
Reply #1878

eyesalwaysblue

Pretty much expected,  but it is going to be massively skewed by the form and style while the team were getting used to Silva's demands. Is there one that covers the last 3rd of the season? That's probably what we should expect next season.
Or maybe Silva has had a lot of help becoming better tactically lately? Mad just to blame the players for not taking on board his way of playing, giving him way more credit than he deserves, because he was fucking awful up until recently, as long as we have progress it dosen't matter but why can't it be that it's Silva who has improved and learned...
I still despise Clive Thomas..

May 10, 2019, 03:10:35 AM
Reply #1879

gizzblue

Or maybe Silva has had a lot of help becoming better tactically lately? Mad just to blame the players for not taking on board his way of playing, giving him way more credit than he deserves, because he was fucking awful up until recently, as long as we have progress it dosen't matter but why can't it be that it's Silva who has improved and learned...

In reality I think it's a combination on both the team  and a young manager learning his trade ...either way it stands us in good stead moving forward .....we are the first team to have allowed him time to overcome the slump .
Born not made a blue .

May 10, 2019, 03:12:43 AM
Reply #1880

Bluedylan

We used to give people time in society to do jobs.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

May 10, 2019, 03:17:46 AM
Reply #1881

UnsyisaRhino

I think you have to factor in the mental state of the players and club as a whole when he came in. The biggest change we've seen this season is the mental strength and confidence within the team.

He has to take some credit for digging us out of the pit koeman/Walsh and fathead put us in. He didnt have a neutral start...he was playing catch up from day 1.

We now look resilient and that's an important foundation we can build on.

May 10, 2019, 03:31:36 AM
Reply #1882

eyesalwaysblue

In reality I think it's a combination on both the team  and a young manager learning his trade ...either way it stands us in good stead moving forward .....we are the first team to have allowed him time to overcome the slump .
Exactly he's a very young manager in dog years is what i meant, we took a massive chance on him becoming the manager we need him to be and hopefully that's what will turn out, but there's no doubting the massive influence of Brands throughout the setup, but the end of the day as long as we improve that's the main thing.
I still despise Clive Thomas..

May 10, 2019, 03:38:08 AM
Reply #1883

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

Think form and style while they adapt is his job too to be fair. I understand there would be speed bumps but I expect him to manage it and better than he did.

Not comparative like this I'm afraid, I guess this is more 'how have we been this season' than like a temperature check of shorter term form, but I do agree like we'd come out better definitely.

I don't think end of season reflects what we should expect unfortunately, particularly results wise, but you'd assume we've ended up closer to what Silva wants.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

May 10, 2019, 07:53:29 AM
Reply #1884

Glory

Wouldn't xg be somewhat redundant to look at near the end of the season?

I would imagine there is a difference from season to season so should we be looking at actuals (in terms of goals scored and conceded) at this stage?

May 10, 2019, 01:29:07 PM
Reply #1885

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Wouldn't xg be somewhat redundant to look at near the end of the season?

I would imagine there is a difference from season to season so should we be looking at actuals (in terms of goals scored and conceded) at this stage?

Yes and no.

Xg now would be useful if all things remain the same.

They won’t but large parts may, so it’s still something to bear in mind (see RMs first season where the xg for and against werent as good as actual performance).

As it happens, the defensive xg is promising as you don’t need to score bucket loads to get a decent points return.

For us in terms of attacking xg I think we get in decent positions but often make a terrible decision with the final pass or don’t even get a shot away.

I think they can be improved simply with players who are better in those situations. As in I think that’s easier that solving the formations we use given the current balance of players that we have.

May 10, 2019, 05:22:58 PM
Reply #1886

Lxxx

So the xg shows us we are about on par defensively compared to where we will finish in the table.

Attacking xg shows us what we all know to be our main weakness despite what some might insist on here, which is that we lack a real cutting edge and options up top rather than DCL playing every week. Improving and willing as he is. Richarlison has had another year in his development and Bernard only recently started to come into form in the new setup, all three will be better for this seasons experience.

So plenty to look forward to, especially with another summer of shipping out the ones that aren't good enough and bringing in better quality. 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 05:24:01 PM by Lxxx »

May 10, 2019, 06:19:18 PM
Reply #1887

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Would the defensive XG improve with a goalkeeper in better form than pickford this season?

He's near the bottom of the league for saves per shot and all that type of stuff.
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

May 10, 2019, 06:30:45 PM
Reply #1888

BlueNoseMike

Would the defensive XG improve with a goalkeeper in better form than pickford this season?

He's near the bottom of the league for saves per shot and all that type of stuff.

I think stats like xG for and against are general and are not individually specific. Like a striker in a one on one with say Allison or Mignolet it would still give the same statistical chance. One of the flaws of the stat I suppose.

Unless of course you mean the keeper denies the chance earlier? Attacks a cross or forces a pass out wide.

He has been up and down though, willing to stick with him as he delivers for England and should hopefully get more consistent.

He's barely had anything to save recently, been such a long time that has been the case (early year Moyes)

Zouma is a must

May 10, 2019, 06:33:13 PM
Reply #1889

BlueNoseMike

Not too worried about xG being low currently. Slot a more instinctive striker in our team (whilst hoping DCL continues to develop) and that naturally goes up! the against column is more of an indicator really, as clearly we have started to get some great defensive structure in our team.

Hard to score against, whilst playing easy on the eye footy, will do me nicely