September 16, 2019, 11:09:31 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 99921 times)

Jay and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

August 13, 2018, 01:35:57 AM
Read 99921 times

Mouse

NSNO Subscriber
I love him, but we’ve no back up or competition and he’s 30 this year, playing in a very physically demanding position.

He’s always been more of a blood and thunder player who has relied on his unbelievable athleticism more than being a baller.

Phenomenal player, but I don’t want to end up with a Jags situation. Unbelievable player for us, but because of squad building failures we’re now at the point where he’s slated regularly and we’ll all be grateful when we see the back of him.

We’re a way off that yet. But he’s on the list and it’s fair to say that imo.
I agree wth your general point about Coleman. It would be myopic not to be planning a replacement. We don't need a Baines situation at right back and I'm not sure Kenny is the answer.

Although, I'm not convinced Coleman is near to his swansong. It all really depends upon his recovery and long-term fitness after the injury, but I think he is an intelligent footballer and he can adapt to Silva's needs in much the same way (sorry for this) as Milner has adapted to Klopp.
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.

August 13, 2018, 02:43:30 AM
Reply #1

Mouse

NSNO Subscriber
I'm looking forward to the day where we need an upgrade on Richarlison :)
Ah, perchance to dream  :thumbsup:
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.

August 28, 2018, 08:34:08 PM
Reply #2

Mouse

NSNO Subscriber
Shout out to Cenk btw who is leading the line quite brilliantly at the moment.

Just needs to bag, but hasn't really had a chance yet

I enjoy watching Cenk and what he brings to the team. He is willing to sacrifice himself to create space for others and his strength and hold-up play are contributing greatly to what we do. He just needs a goal for his own sake, his general play has been enough to justify his place.

I've only seen highlights of Saturday but it seems we are showing huge improvement going forward. Amazing what a bit of a plan and allowing players to play in their correct postions can do. Defensively I'm not fully convinced yet, but we are still playing with the same players that were confused and all over the place last season. Central defence is definitely better and I feel for Keane as he is just finding some form. It is a sign of where we are now that losing 2 central defenders to injury and suspension is not seen as a catastrophe.

What I am certain about is that only 3 games into any season it is madness to make any general statements about style or progress. Only Richarlison of our summer transfers has had any kind of game time, I don't think we are near seeing Silva's own best 11. Brap2 is right to call for 10 games just to have a better idea of what Silva's 'style' is and how our squad is adapting to it.

January 03, 2019, 01:06:19 AM
Reply #3

Mouse

NSNO Subscriber
Between work, family Christmas and mostly off the grid in the Lakes for a week I haven't seen a game since Newcastle. Not often I feel lucky missing Goodison but December seems to have been a nightmare. I'm resisting the temptation to catch up on shite we have been and holding on to the belief  that we are just 6 months and one transfer window into a new regime. I hope that's not mindless optimism.

It's easy to forget what it was like watching Allardyce's idea of football on a cold winters night.

January 09, 2019, 09:51:53 PM
Reply #4

Mouse

NSNO Subscriber
I'm giving him this season as a freebie provided we don't collapse ridiculously. I still think the football we've played and tried to play has been a breath of fresh air after the last two seasons. We are far from perfect but you can't really begin to judge Silva (and Brands) until after the next summer transfer window.

The zonal marking remains a big concern and I do think you have to settle on consistent goalkeeper plus two (or 3 if that is the future) CB's to develop a proper understanding. As for the rest, it is a seismic change in style from Koeman and Allardyce which takes time for current players to adapt to and for the manager/DOF to get the additional players required.

I'd really start to worry if we are in the same league position this time next year but I'm hoping by then Silva will have his team playing his football. This season all about re-building (I hope!).

January 25, 2019, 04:27:55 PM
Reply #5

Mouse

NSNO Subscriber
Little bit of midfield missing piece miserableness from my boy Stop Bunching! This morning :

Wayne Rooney (27 starts) + Ross Barkley (70 starts) scored combined 23 with 21 assists from midfield role.
Since then all our midfielders Siggy+Klasseen+Gana+Schneiderlin+Davies+Gomes+Bolasie+Bernard+Walcott have 238 starts, 24 goals, 17 assists combined.
Gee thanks, a little lift from Gomes yesterday and then you come along and batter me back into the January blues with this  ;)

June 17, 2019, 10:31:01 PM
Reply #6

Mouse

NSNO Subscriber
I like Gomes!

His assist was great. His goal was even better.
Brilliant, your Richarlison had all the subtlety of a sledge-hammer while this one is delivered with underhand grace. A tactical masterclass!

August 28, 2019, 03:39:11 PM
Reply #7

Mouse

NSNO Subscriber
Still sure we haven't seen anything like the team he wants to put out (although I'm no closer to knowing what that is!).

Clearly, Iwobi, Kean and the unfortunate Gbamin didn't come here to 'fight for a place'. They came because we offered them first team football and then it will be down to them to hold their place. If you add Delph and Sidibe in the mix then only one of our summer signings has actually started a game and that was probably more down to the red card than tactics.

It is frustrating but I think we have to be patient, it will be interesting to see what our starting 11 is when everyone is up to speed. I'm not sure Sigurdsson is guaranteed a start. I'm hoping we are going to have a more fluid attacking formation and I can't see how he fits into that.