November 12, 2019, 02:31:31 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 140281 times)

January 09, 2019, 02:02:38 AM
Read 140281 times

Crackling

NSNO Subscriber
I think people may have forgotten quite how awful we were last season under 3 different managers. It was shambolic, whatever spin people want to put on it now.

Maybe people forget as the football was so fucking turgid and it was difficult to find any enjoyment.

Pundits get paid to pick fault in every game. I wonder whether some just follow their example and can't let themselves just enjoy being a fan.
Surely people can't be as bored stiff or as angry as they were for most of last season? That must indicate you see some improvement and a way forward, at least.

Personally, I wanted to see pace and high pressing. I wanted to be able to see the players understanding what the manager wants and putting effort in for him. I wanted to see players not afraid to pass the ball and not afraid to receive the ball. To try and play out of trouble rather than just hoofing it and easily conceding possession.

I think I've seen all of that to varying degrees of success this season, but I didn't expect 4+ years of mostly shite "tactics", motivation and fitness to be all completely fixed by now.

We've had a rough few weeks, but we've watched some really promising football this season.
The derby was some of the best football I've seen us play against any of the top 6 in quite a few years, it's just the end of the game was such a kick in the guts.

Overall, I do think we're moving in the right direction.

March 09, 2019, 11:25:06 PM
Reply #1

Crackling

NSNO Subscriber
Pickford is an absolute liability yet has the ability to make the odd great save here and there
Shot stopping is an absolute basic skill at this level. The rest of his game is sorely lacking.

May 09, 2019, 08:24:29 PM
Reply #2

Crackling

NSNO Subscriber
Here's how we compare to the rest of the league.

Prem non pen xg created table (read as : quality and quantity of chances created not including pens) ranking : 13th (shite)

Prem non pen xg conceded table (quality and quantity of chances allowed pens excluded) ranking : 7th (promising!)

I imagine if you look at comparative form since the break we will have improved that but there's no shirking the fact teams like Southampton and West Ham have been more dangerous than us.

Before you kick off, just ask yourself if anything other than where Everton are stands out to you as wrong please.
Pretty much expected,  but it is going to be massively skewed by the form and style while the team were getting used to Silva's demands. Is there one that covers the last 3rd of the season? That's probably what we should expect next season.

September 18, 2019, 03:17:14 AM
Reply #3

Crackling

NSNO Subscriber
He has awful taste in midfielders.

Hundreds of millions spent on players and we're basically trying to enter the box like a Moyes team (left winger tucking in, then supplying the fullback with a chance to cross).
Although due to Gbamin's injury, you have no idea what his first choice midfield would have played like this season. Gbamin 'could' have been the one to drive forward and play more through the middle.

He currently doesnt have that much choice in playing Schneiderlin and we all know he would have been on his way if we could have got someone else in.

It's also pretty clear he likes a central defender with pace so we can play a high line and press.  The players he currently has at his disposal aren't the best for that.

Let's face it, we dropped a bollock by not getting a Zouma replacement or a first team ready striker.

October 05, 2019, 04:46:57 PM
Reply #4

Crackling

NSNO Subscriber
I was watching something about how a person's dog can be a reflection of themselves in terms of character or personality etc. I think Silva's team does this in a way. I saw him at the Sheffield game and he looked lost and weak. Why isn't he screaming at his players when they let him down on the pitch? Where's his passion? It's reflected in his team's play. They all think he's a nice guy but we don't need nice guys, we need winners. Just an observation.
You're seeing what you want to see.
It's utter rubbish to say that he doesn't care or looks lost.
I think what you're wanting to see is klopp running up and down the touchline and generally being a prick. It seems some Everton fans have gone from hating that to pining for that behaviour.
It's the same type of thought that would have Ferguson as manager because he has a fucking tattoo.q

October 29, 2019, 06:15:23 PM
Reply #5

Crackling

NSNO Subscriber
In a minority of one here but I still think he's a good manager who can turn it round here.

I've seen enough from the last 18 months to think that.

At various times during his spell here he's had us playing really well. We've been the best pressing team in the league, we've gone through periods of being real solid at the back, and were one of the best teams in the league during the final 3rd of last season. It's not like it's been complete shite for 18 months.

Even now all the numbers suggest we should be a lot higher in the league than we are so he must be getting something right. Also the players are still 100% with him and that's always a good sign, although only so many defeats a group of players can take before they sense the inevitable.

I also think he's been very unlucky in a lot of games. The game at the weekend was an absolute body blow, and we certainly didn't deserve to lose that. Then you have the derby at anfield, the spurs game where we got hammered, yes, but had a perfectly good goal ruled out to make it 2-0. There's other examples I could list.

Even during that horrid spell of last season we weren't getting outplayed and a lot of games were decided on individual errors. Leicester at home for example. I suppose that's football though and you should cope with setbacks like that.

I can't really recall thinking we've ever been lucky to get a win under him. Seems like every win we've had has been well deserved, whereas there's been plenty of games where I've come away thinking we didn't deserve to lose that.

He's not a bad manager and I'm never going to [url=https://www.nsno.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=subscriptions][url=https://www.nsno.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=subscriptions]subscribe[/url][/url] to that view. He should be doing a lot better than he currently is, and it's only a matter of time before the board get twitchy, but I still hold out hope he can turn it around.

Win tomorrow, nice little horrible Sunday afternoon in the cold against spurs, and this time next week we could be in an ok position looking to move forward.

Maybe I'm making excuses, but I'm desperate for him to work it out here. Last thing we need is another failed manager. Only so long we can keep sacking managers before we sink.
100% with you on this.
There seem to be a lot of people claiming the football under Silva has been terrible, but at times last season our high intensive pressing and attacking football was really exciting.

I'm still hopeful, but I think a lot had made their mind up even before the season started.

October 29, 2019, 06:18:59 PM
Reply #6

Crackling

NSNO Subscriber
One of my concerns is that we all talk about his tactics and formations and shit but no-one ever mentions his player development.

So that's probably because we don't see any.

We have a squad with some very good young talent and some potential 'ceilings' (borrowed that one from Brap) that are very high.

Why do we not see any player improvement? Why can't we say 'He's come along leaps and bounds since Silva came'?

That's a big part of what I was hoping Silva would bring and it's absolutely what our next manager should excel at if we're to do anything interesting in the next decade.
DCL? Richarlison? Zouma last season? Pickford? Gana?

October 29, 2019, 06:25:50 PM
Reply #7

Crackling

NSNO Subscriber
What a load of rubbish. After the way we finished the season and the summer of signings pretty much all the fans were bang up for it and willing to give Silva a good go at making it a success.

Even the sceptics thought he'd got over his early season difficulties, when the football was terrible you're right, and was now ready to kick on with a more fluid approach.

Some people just love to see an agenda even when it isn't there.
There were loads of "if he doesn't get x amount of points from the first 6 games, he should be sacked"

And read the match day threads to see how quickly some turned.

October 29, 2019, 07:59:47 PM
Reply #8

Crackling

NSNO Subscriber
People turned quickly because the reality was that we hadn't turned a corner just hit form at the end of last season. The reality was his record had been poor barring that and was continuing to be poor. Didn't see anyone suggest he'd be sacked before the season start. I don't think anyone thought we wouldn't get plenty of points from our opening fixtures
I wasnt pointing a finger at you. I think you've been massively supportive and positive since the start of the season.