October 20, 2019, 12:42:03 PM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 127935 times)

September 22, 2019, 12:52:11 AM
Reply #2190

Mayor Farnum

Kind of getting sick of the need for potential new manager talk. Why do we never land lucky with these appointments? I'm not totally done with silva possibly because I was working and haven't seen any of today but a two nil loss at home to Sheffield United is diabolical

Because that's exactly what we try and do, get lucky. There is no method or diligence going into our appointment process.
Something clever written by someone else.

September 22, 2019, 12:55:31 AM
Reply #2191

boothill

September 22, 2019, 12:57:53 AM
Reply #2192

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Kind of getting sick of the need for potential new manager talk. Why do we never land lucky with these appointments? I'm not totally done with silva possibly because I was working and haven't seen any of today but a two nil loss at home to Sheffield United is diabolical

We never land lucky because you shouldn't have to be lucky with an appointment. You wouldn't want to get lucky with buying a house or a car.

But when you're run the way we've been run, we've lacked the requisite structure and know-how to make sure we get the right guy, and have ended up taking punts on managers that feel hot at that moment.

Hopefully now we have Brands, we've seen the last of that sorta thing. I do say hopefully tho...

If, in a few weeks time we end up replacing Silva with an extremely expensive Eddie Howe, say, then I'll probably pack it in.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

September 22, 2019, 01:03:11 AM
Reply #2193

Lazarou

Yet another write off of a season, it's always going to be next season but it never arrives  :(
"I'm not worrying, I'm not worrying, well I am worrying, I am worrying, I am worrying." Guy Martin

September 22, 2019, 01:35:09 AM
Reply #2194

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
Its unfortunately a much longer job than we want it to be to turn the club around

Shifting the deadwood alone has been a massive job, we had so many old players on long contracts on big money that we needed shut of

We've had a big job reducing the size of the squad and the average age too

The positive side of things comes in the form that Brands seems to know what hes doing. Moshiri has implemented a fair few things to try and bring us up to speed with the modern day and the stadium is on it's way

On the pitch isn't the best though

Silva is persevering with the same tactics and same formation every week despite no signs that it is working. We just look so sluggish and uninspired at the moment

Hes much less harmful to this group of players than Allardyce was, but he is a long term appointment it seems, what is the plan here?

We hope that any manager when they leave have improved us, but what has he realistically been brought here to achieve?to win a trophy?to get us back into Europe before passing the baton on to a better manager?

If we finish between 8th and 12th, don't win a trophy and don't show any sign of progress does it make any sense to keep him around?

I'm not sure whether we've made any progress at all under him, and I don't think we will get relegated either way if we keep him or sack him. I think moshiri is right to at least be asking questions of him

3 full seasons is enough time to judge him I think, i wouldn't be surprised though if a league cup exit followed by a City humiliation forced a decision, though I'd rather win both and crack on

Losing Gana and Lukaku and not replacing properly has hurt us. There was a notion that Gana might have been holding us back, it seems like he might have actually been holding us together

With the Silva gameplan and formation he either needs to get it to work, or change it. Sticking with it through bad form though is a risky strategy

All feels very bleak at the moment
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

September 22, 2019, 01:41:27 AM
Reply #2195

Lxxx

His inability to spot things aren’t working and change it will be his downfall.

Now I don’t know whether he genuinely doesn’t know what to do or he doesn’t want to change but either way, in my opinion, he’s sleepwalking into the bullet.

September 22, 2019, 01:58:03 AM
Reply #2196

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Really looking forward to us making the change now.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

September 22, 2019, 01:59:55 AM
Reply #2197

Hawkandro

Our decision to not bring in an experienced striker to go with Kean, and our failure to sign a CB are going to really hamper us this season, as is Silva's persistance with 4-2-3-1. Two DMs at home to Sheffield United is embarrassing.
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

September 22, 2019, 02:06:30 AM
Reply #2198

Bluenose 91

Pressure properly on him now like isnt it. Probably even more so than in the bad spell last season as he still had the first season excuse.

Rather we didn't sack mid season but if we get dumped out the cup and walloped by City what can you expect really.

Half intrigued to see who Brands would have line up like.

September 22, 2019, 02:07:08 AM
Reply #2199

Bluedylan

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of it, I don’t see him getting the bullet anytime soon, even if we lost the next two. Moshiri staked a lot on him and I suspect he’ll be quite stubborn about it, rather than acting quickly.

As it stands, the season isn’t a write off at all yet, but another month or two of these results and it will be.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

September 22, 2019, 02:17:23 AM
Reply #2200

Lxxx

I don’t think Moshiri will have any hesitation in binning him. In fact I would be amazed that with Brands on the board now they hadn’t already had a discussion regarding a Plan B in the summer, for this exact scenario.

September 22, 2019, 02:28:44 AM
Reply #2201

Mayor Farnum

I thought Brands rubber stamped Silva's appointment.
Something clever written by someone else.

September 22, 2019, 02:31:41 AM
Reply #2202

Lxxx

I don’t think he had much choice did he. Already we’ll down the line

September 22, 2019, 05:47:57 AM
Reply #2203

D3blue

I was neutral about Silva's appointment but I haven't been impressed and at this stage I'd like to see him gone...he can only be judged on his results and they are not good...

He may say he tried but it was really unforgivable not to sign an experienced CB and an experienced striker over the summer....those failures will be his downfall...

September 22, 2019, 05:51:28 AM
Reply #2204

Redartin

I think we were lead to believe that, just like we were told the Brands Silva partnership was the best thing since sliced bread.
The alternative was to come out and say Moshiri has picked Silva and Brands will do as he is told and sanction it.
In other words he is a "Yes Man".
I don't believe Brands is some sort of Messiah who will fix everything. He had a shit summer transfer record and almost got us Rojo ffs