January 21, 2020, 05:17:00 PM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 158329 times)

October 28, 2019, 04:14:49 PM
Reply #2895

KoemansNumberTens

This is why I'm not really interested in blaming VAR.

Bad decisions from refs or individual errors cost teams but if you are good you give yourself a wider margin of error. Silva has games on a knife-edge even when we are winning, so the lightest breeze and we're at sea.

I believe this side has real real quality, finding excuses for him to stay is just prolonging the inevitable really.

if the marcelino rumours are true so be it, if the Martinez or Moyes ones are true maybe we hold out to the end of the year..

Is Martinez an actual rumour. Christ if we go down that road twice there’s something seriously wrong with the club

October 28, 2019, 04:15:25 PM
Reply #2896

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Is Martinez an actual rumour. Christ if we go down that road twice there’s something seriously wrong with the club

Can't bring myself to read the echo article but the headline is unfinished business.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

October 28, 2019, 04:29:35 PM
Reply #2897

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Clickbait nonsense from the echo.
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

October 28, 2019, 04:29:51 PM
Reply #2898

Gash

Global Moderator
Can't bring myself to read the echo article but the headline is unfinished business.

He's not coming back, just read the article instead of stressing about it.

October 28, 2019, 04:35:54 PM
Reply #2899

Macca77

Slow news day, the Echo love trolling us all, will probably have a story about Moyes tomorrow

October 28, 2019, 04:40:40 PM
Reply #2900

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
He's not coming back, just read the article instead of stressing about it.

I'm not stressing out whatsoever but thank you for your concern.

Fucking stress / flap is the NSNO snowflake isn't it.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

October 29, 2019, 04:12:30 AM
Reply #2901

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
In a minority of one here but I still think he’s a good manager who can turn it round here.

I’ve seen enough from the last 18 months to think that.

At various times during his spell here he’s had us playing really well. We’ve been the best pressing team in the league, we’ve gone through periods of being real solid at the back, and were one of the best teams in the league during the final 3rd of last season. It’s not like it’s been complete shite for 18 months.

Even now all the numbers suggest we should be a lot higher in the league than we are so he must be getting something right. Also the players are still 100% with him and that’s always a good sign, although only so many defeats a group of players can take before they sense the inevitable.

I also think he’s been very unlucky in a lot of games. The game at the weekend was an absolute body blow, and we certainly didn’t deserve to lose that. Then you have the derby at anfield, the spurs game where we got hammered, yes, but had a perfectly good goal ruled out to make it 2-0. There’s other examples I could list.

Even during that horrid spell of last season we weren’t getting outplayed and a lot of games were decided on individual errors. Leicester at home for example. I suppose that’s football though and you should cope with setbacks like that.

I can’t really recall thinking we’ve ever been lucky to get a win under him. Seems like every win we’ve had has been well deserved, whereas there’s been plenty of games where I’ve come away thinking we didn’t deserve to lose that.

He’s not a bad manager and I’m never going to subscribe to that view. He should be doing a lot better than he currently is, and it’s only a matter of time before the board get twitchy, but I still hold out hope he can turn it around.

Win tomorrow, nice little horrible Sunday afternoon in the cold against spurs, and this time next week we could be in an ok position looking to move forward.

Maybe I’m making excuses, but I’m desperate for him to work it out here. Last thing we need is another failed manager. Only so long we can keep sacking managers before we sink.
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

October 29, 2019, 04:36:52 AM
Reply #2902

KoemansNumberTens

In a minority of one here but I still think he’s a good manager who can turn it round here.

I’ve seen enough from the last 18 months to think that.

At various times during his spell here he’s had us playing really well. We’ve been the best pressing team in the league, we’ve gone through periods of being real solid at the back, and were one of the best teams in the league during the final 3rd of last season. It’s not like it’s been complete shite for 18 months.

Even now all the numbers suggest we should be a lot higher in the league than we are so he must be getting something right. Also the players are still 100% with him and that’s always a good sign, although only so many defeats a group of players can take before they sense the inevitable.

I also think he’s been very unlucky in a lot of games. The game at the weekend was an absolute body blow, and we certainly didn’t deserve to lose that. Then you have the derby at anfield, the spurs game where we got hammered, yes, but had a perfectly good goal ruled out to make it 2-0. There’s other examples I could list.

Even during that horrid spell of last season we weren’t getting outplayed and a lot of games were decided on individual errors. Leicester at home for example. I suppose that’s football though and you should cope with setbacks like that.

I can’t really recall thinking we’ve ever been lucky to get a win under him. Seems like every win we’ve had has been well deserved, whereas there’s been plenty of games where I’ve come away thinking we didn’t deserve to lose that.

He’s not a bad manager and I’m never going to [url=https://www.nsno.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=subscriptions]subscribe[/url] to that view. He should be doing a lot better than he currently is, and it’s only a matter of time before the board get twitchy, but I still hold out hope he can turn it around.

Win tomorrow, nice little horrible Sunday afternoon in the cold against spurs, and this time next week we could be in an ok position looking to move forward.

Maybe I’m making excuses, but I’m desperate for him to work it out here. Last thing we need is another failed manager. Only so long we can keep sacking managers before we sink.

You are just picking out spells of good form though. As an overview our defending of set plays is dreadful (goal every other game) we’ve lost more than won under him and his record in England as a whole is very questionable. I think there’s next to no chance of him having a successful Everton career now. At the very best he’ll plod through the last 18 months of his contract and then be gone

October 29, 2019, 04:55:37 AM
Reply #2903

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I still have faint hopes despite myself, I think because deep down I'm an optimistic blue.

But fucking hell, you've got to say he's made a fantastic case for his own sacking. 18 months down the line and the table refuses to reflect what we've all tried to believe was coming, and without that bizarre turn of form at home against good sides in their own private turmoil, we've been largely meh.

The football is better than koeman and Allardyce, and the underlying numbers do suggest a team that should be closer to maybe 9th than 16th, but is that good enough?

I think he's wasting a decent squad personally, and it's the first time I've felt that way since Martinez.

Need replacements for Keane, Coleman, Gomes, Walcott, and depth up top, and need to fuck off the likes of Delph, Schneiderlin, Sigurdsson Tosun Bolasie Niasse, but there's more than enough to get 7th in this side, we just need a manager and more importantly a COACH who can improve performances.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 04:57:03 AM by brap2 »

October 29, 2019, 05:18:29 AM
Reply #2904

Paddockoldie

Obviously I don't know for sure but our form seemed to crash when Boa Morte signed on... Surely we should be attracting better than him?

October 29, 2019, 11:49:50 AM
Reply #2905

Toddacelli

Yeah, and during the limbo period they still look attractive once in a while (West Ham team selection) and you sleep with them again, but this just complicate things, because she still hates your friends, and complains when they come to the house, and yet she insists on inviting her negative old bag of a mother over all the time (Bringing Sigurdsson back into the 10 and shifting Wobes out wide to accomodate him)

Man can run with a metaphor, can't he?

lolol

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

October 29, 2019, 11:54:10 AM
Reply #2906

Toddacelli

Obviously I don't know for sure but our form seemed to crash when Boa Morte signed on... Surely we should be attracting better than him?

Wasn't exactly a world-class player a d I don't particularly like him myself, but how do we know what he's like as a coach? We just don't see that.

October 29, 2019, 11:58:58 AM
Reply #2907

Toddacelli

One of my concerns is that we all talk about his tactics and formations and shit but no-one ever mentions his player development.

So that's probably because we don't see any.

We have a squad with some very good young talent and some potential 'ceilings' (borrowed that one from Brap) that are very high.

Why do we not see any player improvement? Why can't we say 'He's come along leaps and bounds since Silva came'?

That's a big part of what I was hoping Silva would bring and it's absolutely what our next manager should excel at if we're to do anything interesting in the next decade.

October 29, 2019, 06:15:23 PM
Reply #2908

Crackling

NSNO Subscriber
In a minority of one here but I still think he's a good manager who can turn it round here.

I've seen enough from the last 18 months to think that.

At various times during his spell here he's had us playing really well. We've been the best pressing team in the league, we've gone through periods of being real solid at the back, and were one of the best teams in the league during the final 3rd of last season. It's not like it's been complete shite for 18 months.

Even now all the numbers suggest we should be a lot higher in the league than we are so he must be getting something right. Also the players are still 100% with him and that's always a good sign, although only so many defeats a group of players can take before they sense the inevitable.

I also think he's been very unlucky in a lot of games. The game at the weekend was an absolute body blow, and we certainly didn't deserve to lose that. Then you have the derby at anfield, the spurs game where we got hammered, yes, but had a perfectly good goal ruled out to make it 2-0. There's other examples I could list.

Even during that horrid spell of last season we weren't getting outplayed and a lot of games were decided on individual errors. Leicester at home for example. I suppose that's football though and you should cope with setbacks like that.

I can't really recall thinking we've ever been lucky to get a win under him. Seems like every win we've had has been well deserved, whereas there's been plenty of games where I've come away thinking we didn't deserve to lose that.

He's not a bad manager and I'm never going to [url=https://www.nsno.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=subscriptions][url=https://www.nsno.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=subscriptions]subscribe[/url][/url] to that view. He should be doing a lot better than he currently is, and it's only a matter of time before the board get twitchy, but I still hold out hope he can turn it around.

Maybe I'm making excuses, but I'm desperate for him to work it out here. Last thing we need is another failed manager. Only so long we can keep sacking managers before we sink.
100% with you on this.
There seem to be a lot of people claiming the football under Silva has been terrible, but at times last season our high intensive pressing and attacking football was really exciting.

I'm still hopeful, but I think a lot had made their mind up even before the season started.

October 29, 2019, 06:18:59 PM
Reply #2909

Crackling

NSNO Subscriber
One of my concerns is that we all talk about his tactics and formations and shit but no-one ever mentions his player development.

So that's probably because we don't see any.

We have a squad with some very good young talent and some potential 'ceilings' (borrowed that one from Brap) that are very high.

Why do we not see any player improvement? Why can't we say 'He's come along leaps and bounds since Silva came'?

That's a big part of what I was hoping Silva would bring and it's absolutely what our next manager should excel at if we're to do anything interesting in the next decade.
DCL? Richarlison? Zouma last season? Pickford? Gana?