September 26, 2020, 08:47:13 PM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 194212 times)

November 04, 2019, 08:07:04 PM
Reply #3030

YankeeBlue214

NSNO Subscriber
It was VAR that sent him off. Atkinson only booked him.

Actually only VAR thing that was right was that the challenge endangered the opponent (as in he wasn’t trying to get the ball).

That’s 100% not how VAR is supposed to work. VAR does not make decisions full stop. The EPL is run by buffoons and their refs are even worse, the lot of them.
Playing FM20 24/7.

November 04, 2019, 09:10:31 PM
Reply #3031

dunkster

Only in football can a video replays be such a monumental fuck up.
I don't know if it was the sky stream I watched but after the var ruled no penalty for the alli incident, they showed a different camera view which made it so much clearer that the ball hit his arm and would more likely have given a penalty, only for the commentators to confirm var didn't have that camera view to use.
I mean WTF.. In rugby they seem to have a dozen views of the action at any point on the pitch.
[]mcjVWM5etFw[/yt]

"what is it about good sex that's makes me have to crap?.............you sure rattled something loose tiger" - KINGPIN
"that's a lovely accent you have there..New Jersey?" "no Austria" "Austria!!!..Well gud-day mate..lets put another shrimp on the barbey. DUMB AND DUMBER

November 04, 2019, 09:18:32 PM
Reply #3032

YankeeBlue214

NSNO Subscriber
VAR canno...oh forget it
Playing FM20 24/7.

November 04, 2019, 09:21:27 PM
Reply #3033

Gary1878

Only in football can a video replays be such a monumental fuck up.
I don't know if it was the sky stream I watched but after the var ruled no penalty for the alli incident, they showed a different camera view which made it so much clearer that the ball hit his arm and would more likely have given a penalty, only for the commentators to confirm var didn't have that camera view to use.
I mean WTF.. In rugby they seem to have a dozen views of the action at any point on the pitch.

In every other sport, they use technology seemlessly to aid the officials on the pitch, apart from football.

You could take a lot of different examples, but Cricket is a good one. They didn't just introduce the technology to help, they also created regulations around what is deemed worthy to overturn the umpires decisions. When they review LBWs, and the umpire doesn't give it out, when it is reviewed, the ball has to be hitting more than 50% of the stumps to be overturned. Football needs some sort of clarity like this to make VAR a success.

VAR is here to stay, but not in it's current format.

November 04, 2019, 09:22:25 PM
Reply #3034

YankeeBlue214

NSNO Subscriber
In every other sport, they use technology seemlessly to aid the officials on the pitch, apart from football.

You could take a lot of different examples, but Cricket is a good one. They didn't just introduce the technology to help, they also created regulations around what is deemed worthy to overturn the umpires decisions. When they review LBWs, and the umpire doesn't give it out, when it is reviewed, the ball has to be hitting more than 50% of the stumps to be overturned. Football needs some sort of clarity like this to make VAR a success.

VAR is here to stay, but not in it's current format.

Not football; the EPL. Works just fine everywhere else.
Playing FM20 24/7.

November 04, 2019, 09:24:32 PM
Reply #3035

dunkster

I really only ever thought it needed to be used for offsides. Problem with football is its the only sport where you blatantly try to cheat in order to get the upper hand.
That makes it a lottery to please everyone all of the time.
[]mcjVWM5etFw[/yt]

"what is it about good sex that's makes me have to crap?.............you sure rattled something loose tiger" - KINGPIN
"that's a lovely accent you have there..New Jersey?" "no Austria" "Austria!!!..Well gud-day mate..lets put another shrimp on the barbey. DUMB AND DUMBER

November 04, 2019, 09:54:44 PM
Reply #3036

sam of the south

The thing that really gets to me about VAR is that they are hiding behind the intangibles of human error and incompetence to exonerate themselves from blame.

It’s the same as the political arena; “Oh Theresa May is incompetent, Boris is a bumbling eccentric, VAR is open to interpretation.”

It’s a cop out.

It stops a mass examination of the possibility of calculated distraction and sleight of hand (pardon the pun)
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

November 04, 2019, 10:18:37 PM
Reply #3037

bluenuck

Again not ignoring bad bits or even what ultimate decision may be, but a shift of one or two games would at least be pushing these discussions back.

Just as a side opinion. We didn’t get played off the park by SU at all though. We weren’t good by any stretch but we dominated the game.

Okay. I’ll agree with that. A couple calls or a couple breaks and we’re sitting on say ~15 points? Instead of 11. The pressure wouldn’t be as intense.

I have no doubt he can scratch and claw his way back into the top Half of the table this season as well. I actually bet he does.

But the bigger picture tells us more and more every week that he’s probably not the man that we need in the long run. 

November 05, 2019, 01:05:11 AM
Reply #3038

Gash

Global Moderator
Okay. I’ll agree with that. A couple calls or a couple breaks and we’re sitting on say ~15 points? Instead of 11. The pressure wouldn’t be as intense.

It's more than just points though. We showed against West Ham that we can play well and with a decent intensity, the Brighton game we didn't play great but if that VAR goes our way there's a good chance we win that, our first come from behind win under Silva, then we beat Watford in the cup. Suddenly we're three wins on the bounce with one goal conceded and a monkey off our back, we go in to yesterday's game with a totally different mentality and confidence. We lost a goal yesterday to a poor individual mistake and got done by VAR again, while trying to get back into a match having watched a team mate sustain a horror injury. We can be critical of Silva and rightly so but he's made a lot of the changes people wanted but things outside of his control in the last two league games have prevented us building any momentum and confidence.

November 05, 2019, 02:12:26 AM
Reply #3039

ally2

You’re trying too hard to be contrary here.

It is in my nature but no.  I do think that the Keane and Alli decisions were wrong but they were both touch and go and looking back I can understand them.  For Son, there is no question he should not have been sent off.

November 08, 2019, 08:46:51 PM
Reply #3040

Macca77

What are we thinking then, does he survive if we lose tomorrow and drop back into the bottom 3? Surely it's not a hard decision anymore

November 08, 2019, 08:54:16 PM
Reply #3041

Gary1878

It's more than just points though. We showed against West Ham that we can play well and with a decent intensity, the Brighton game we didn't play great but if that VAR goes our way there's a good chance we win that, our first come from behind win under Silva, then we beat Watford in the cup. Suddenly we're three wins on the bounce with one goal conceded and a monkey off our back, we go in to yesterday's game with a totally different mentality and confidence. We lost a goal yesterday to a poor individual mistake and got done by VAR again, while trying to get back into a match having watched a team mate sustain a horror injury. We can be critical of Silva and rightly so but he's made a lot of the changes people wanted but things outside of his control in the last two league games have prevented us building any momentum and confidence.

Completely agree. The margins in the league this year have been so tight and I do think Silva is doing the right things.

I just hope it starts clicking for him very soon.

November 08, 2019, 09:20:38 PM
Reply #3042

Waltzer

What are we thinking then, does he survive if we lose tomorrow and drop back into the bottom 3? Surely it's not a hard decision anymore
I don't see how he can survive personally, a win potentially changes the dynamic and we're mid table looking up. A loss and we're going into the international break in deep shit

Sent from my CLT-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

November 08, 2019, 09:44:22 PM
Reply #3043

YankeeBlue214

NSNO Subscriber

There may be a “forced to” aspect at play, but it doesn’t do anything to answer the “who?” question.
Playing FM20 24/7.

November 08, 2019, 10:19:53 PM
Reply #3044

Lxxx

All fair points but I feel as if we've been doing this all season. Making what seem to be valid arguments on individual games and conflating that into a bigger picture that indicate things aren't so bad. However we're still not winning football matches or picking up many points.

Like someone said, not only is he an average manager but he's also a very unlucky one which isn't a good combination. Everything he's trying isn't coming off for a variety of reasons.

It's clearly not ideal to change your manager this early into the season and especially if your long term choice isn't available but how much longer can we limp along at a point a game before the warning light comes on.