December 17, 2018, 07:35:10 AM

Author Topic: Seamus  (Read 942 times)

August 15, 2018, 04:34:09 AM
Reply #1

bigmanbob

He seems to be the complete opposite of everything I hate about modern football. He's a proper ledge

August 15, 2018, 04:45:21 AM
Reply #2

Gash

Global Moderator
Got both feet on the ground hasn't he.

He's got a point regarding the academy players etc, most of them will either end up in the lower leagues with none of the perks of a Premier League player or not even make a career at all as a footballer at all. Nothing wrong with these young players cleaning boots and doing the dirty, mundane jobs, I still think that's the problem with the Luke Garbutts, George Greens and Jose Baxters of the world, they get all the perks of the Premier League, think they've got it made before they have, act the big I am, often get in with the wrong people when the harsh reality is so much different and by then it's too late for a lot of them.

August 15, 2018, 04:47:24 AM
Reply #3

Jamokachi

He's got a point regarding the academy players etc, most of them will either end up in the lower leagues with none of the perks of a Premier League player or not even make a career at all as a footballer at all. Nothing wrong with these young players cleaning boots and doing the dirty, mundane jobs, I still think that's the problem with the Luke Garbutts, George Greens and Jose Baxters of the world, they get all the perks of the Premier League, think they've got it made before they have, act the big I am, often get in with the wrong people when the harsh reality is so much different and by then it's too late for a lot of them.

Whilst you have a point, George Green is a bit of an unfair one to lump in there. The reason he never made it with Everton was genuine mental health issues, which he is still battling. I think it's important we remember and acknowledge that.

August 15, 2018, 04:49:35 AM
Reply #4

Gash

Global Moderator
Whilst you have a point, George Green is a bit of an unfair one to lump in there. The reason he never made it with Everton was genuine mental health issues, which he is still battling. I think it's important we remember and acknowledge that.

Fair enough. I'm sure we did but in that case clubs need to be all over the support of players. Often when they get it so young I'm sure that itself can bring on a lot of other issues.

August 15, 2018, 04:49:39 AM
Reply #5

sam of the south

Oops, Iíll stop posting Boats & Hoes now 😳
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

August 15, 2018, 06:17:30 AM
Reply #6

Jamokachi

Fair enough. I'm sure we did but in that case clubs need to be all over the support of players. Often when they get it so young I'm sure that itself can bring on a lot of other issues.

I'm sure it can. I listened to an interview with him recently, and I think it's fair to say a lot has changed at club level with regards the care and support of players. I think that's very much reflected by Everton when you look at the new Mental Health Facility that was announced last week. There's still huge stigma around it, and cases like Green need highlighting I believe.

August 15, 2018, 01:13:54 PM
Reply #7

BlueForYou

Throwback human being, our new Mr Everton and perfect ambassador for football

A professional sportsman in name and nature, what you call - a role model

I remember Geoff Hurst saying that on the day after the 1966 World Cup Final, he cut the grass and washed his car, and once retired from playing, started looking to earn a living. "Football" he said, "Getting paid to keep fit - great job!"

« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 01:52:00 PM by BlueForYou »
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

August 16, 2018, 11:41:58 PM
Reply #8

BlueForYou

Kicks off a new series "A Quick Word........."

Come the end of the season, hope we can say he had a great one and hope he can have "the last word"

"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

August 16, 2018, 11:47:18 PM
Reply #9

KoemansNumberTens

Surely the problem is that by every day standards they really have made it. Apparently Garbett is on almost 30k a week. He won the fucking lottery. Cleaning boots wouldnít make a blind bit of difference. He just didnít have the drive past his first big contract or even the sense to realise just how much more he could make had he kept going

August 17, 2018, 01:21:04 AM
Reply #10

boothill

I'm sure it can. I listened to an interview with him recently, and I think it's fair to say a lot has changed at club level with regards the care and support of players. I think that's very much reflected by Everton when you look at the new Mental Health Facility that was announced last week. There's still huge stigma around it, and cases like Green need highlighting I believe.
Its frustratingly under reported the amount of work and support everton in the city give to clock view hospital,  this should be plastered all over north western media for a start,  to help publicise this "hidden" illness and help to kick the stigma attached to it into touch