December 19, 2018, 11:54:03 AM

Author Topic: Theo's goal v Southampton....over and over  (Read 909 times)

August 22, 2018, 09:15:33 PM
Read 909 times

chang

August 22, 2018, 10:36:44 PM
Reply #1

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I'd say a minute of that, if you're lucky, is the goal from every angle. The other 4 minutes is the celebrations from every angle.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

August 22, 2018, 11:19:49 PM
Reply #2

Outworlder47

What I immediately see from this is that there's a whole lot more going on than just Baines to Schneiderlin to Walcott.

1. Sigurdsson has had set piece deliveries leading to three shots on target, and this is arguably the best position yet. Have to honor the right-foot delivery to the back post.
2. On that note, watch Keane at the back post making a run as if to head it back across goal.
3. Richarlison is just inside Keane, and Tosun is lurking from the penalty spot.
4. Baines continues a run across the edge of the box, where a return ball from Schneiderlin could be on.
5. One of the most impressive performances in this routine is Holgate. Seriously. He completely boxes out a Southampton player (Lemina, maybe?), and basically holds the entire wall for Schneiderlin to feed his pass into Walcott's feet.
6. Also of note, this has been rehearsed to a degree that Schneiderlin doesn't look at his pass. He instinctively knows what's going to happen, and that completely catches the defense out.

While this may not work quite the same way again, there are variations that could come off.
-A defender jumps into Walcott's path for the block, so he cuts back for Tosun.
-Schniederlin's ball is closed down, so he squares for Baines to shoot or pass through the gap. Even if he's not looking, Gana can help him make that call given his placement.
-Dummy the whole routine for Sigurdsson to deliver a ball to the back post.
-Add an extra motion, for Holgate to move across the gap and screen Walcott's defender. If they're man-marking, either Walcott comes free or Holgate drags his man to create space for someone in behind.

The hallmark of a good scripted play, to me, is its replicability and capacity for adjustments. This shows all of that.

August 22, 2018, 11:45:54 PM
Reply #3

chang

Walcott's timing has to be perfect,remain perfectly still, then go, also quite an eye opener number of players looking over to the bench whilst celebrating.

August 22, 2018, 11:51:21 PM
Reply #4

Cozzie

I vote we add @Outworlder47 to the coaching staff to work on set pieces at FF.

August 22, 2018, 11:57:37 PM
Reply #5

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
What I immediately see from this is that there's a whole lot more going on than just Baines to Schneiderlin to Walcott.

1. Sigurdsson has had set piece deliveries leading to three shots on target, and this is arguably the best position yet. Have to honor the right-foot delivery to the back post.
2. On that note, watch Keane at the back post making a run as if to head it back across goal.
3. Richarlison is just inside Keane, and Tosun is lurking from the penalty spot.
4. Baines continues a run across the edge of the box, where a return ball from Schneiderlin could be on.
5. One of the most impressive performances in this routine is Holgate. Seriously. He completely boxes out a Southampton player (Lemina, maybe?), and basically holds the entire wall for Schneiderlin to feed his pass into Walcott's feet.
6. Also of note, this has been rehearsed to a degree that Schneiderlin doesn't look at his pass. He instinctively knows what's going to happen, and that completely catches the defense out.

While this may not work quite the same way again, there are variations that could come off.
-A defender jumps into Walcott's path for the block, so he cuts back for Tosun.
-Schniederlin's ball is closed down, so he squares for Baines to shoot or pass through the gap. Even if he's not looking, Gana can help him make that call given his placement.
-Dummy the whole routine for Sigurdsson to deliver a ball to the back post.
-Add an extra motion, for Holgate to move across the gap and screen Walcott's defender. If they're man-marking, either Walcott comes free or Holgate drags his man to create space for someone in behind.

The hallmark of a good scripted play, to me, is its replicability and capacity for adjustments. This shows all of that.

You missed the option where Baines just smashes it in direct from the FK.
My momma says I'm special.

August 23, 2018, 12:03:51 AM
Reply #6

Outworlder47

You missed the option where Baines just smashes it in direct from the FK.

Thanks! I knew I forgot one...

August 23, 2018, 12:27:39 AM
Reply #7

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
You could tell the players really appreciated it too.

August 23, 2018, 02:13:36 AM
Reply #8

Bluedylan

That's the thing I loved watching most. All the different hugs, high fives and celebrations together. It's only a small detail, but these are the things that do bring players together in a common cause.

Also loved Silva, trying his best to contain himself, stroking his face to cover the obvious elation, and then he has to wait a few seconds before catching Theo's eye for a fist pump. Nice little human moment.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

August 23, 2018, 05:28:36 AM
Reply #9

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I vote we add @Outworlder47 to the coaching staff to work on set pieces at FF.

I really wanna see the alternative reality where Schneiderlin rolls it into Baines’ path and he puts that cultured left peg right fuckin through it.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

August 23, 2018, 05:49:36 AM
Reply #10

Old England Toffee

Cracking analysis, I hadn't looked at the other players, although holgates roll was basically the same skill as when you get to the front of a busy bar. I always thought these kind of freekicks are underused, and creativity is something that is lacking in a lot of players and managers so its great to see so early on. Looking forward to seeing more of these, especially as we have a lot of players who can draw fouls

August 23, 2018, 03:18:15 PM
Reply #11

Cozzie

I really wanna see the alternative reality where Schneiderlin rolls it into Baines’ path and he puts that cultured left peg right fuckin through it.

Or the one where Holgate back kicks it all the way back to Pickford who chests it and just volleyes an absolute stormer from 90 odd yards inside his own area to the top bin, beating Tim Howards record of the longest range goal in the process.

August 23, 2018, 03:34:04 PM
Reply #12

blue1948

Or the one where Holgate back kicks it all the way back to Pickford who chests it and just volleyes an absolute stormer from 90 odd yards inside his own area to the top bin, beating Tim Howards record of the longest range goal in the process.
Just beat me to it .

August 23, 2018, 04:47:25 PM
Reply #13

Mouse

That was so good to see, everyone getting involved in the celebation and the little acknowledgements to the bench. You could feel the players were so much more together than the end of last season.