November 18, 2018, 02:25:26 PM

Author Topic: [News]Klaassen blames big-money English football for failure in Premier League  (Read 984 times)

August 28, 2018, 12:51:14 AM
Read 984 times

Everton News

Klaassen blames big-money English football for failure in Premier League

Former Everton midfielder Davy Klaassen says that English clubs throw money around too much and that his £13m move to Bremen is a change back to the roots of football.

Source: Klaassen blames big-money English football for failure in Premier League

August 28, 2018, 02:52:36 AM
Reply #1

BlueBeagle

Not once does he say, or even suggest, that his own personal failure was because of the money in English football.

"The first few weeks have certainly felt like this [a fresh start]. I did not play much last season. For that reason, its a reboot. But I have not stopped training in England every day and have not stopped feeling like a footballer.

In England, its all about the money because its just there. Basically the clubs can shop as they want.

In Germany, this really big money is not there. The clubs are more concerned with developing an idea, a philosophy.

For me, the move to Bremen is also something of a change back to the roots of football.

August 28, 2018, 03:57:16 AM
Reply #2

mikey_blue

Not once does he say, or even suggest, that his own personal failure was because of the money in English football.

"The first few weeks have certainly felt like this [a fresh start]. I did not play much last season. For that reason, its a reboot. But I have not stopped training in England every day and have not stopped feeling like a footballer.

In England, its all about the money because its just there. Basically the clubs can shop as they want.

In Germany, this really big money is not there. The clubs are more concerned with developing an idea, a philosophy.

For me, the move to Bremen is also something of a change back to the roots of football.

He's pretty spot on too.

August 28, 2018, 04:09:12 AM
Reply #3

Mayor Farnum

Didn't object to a good chunk of it being thrown his way I assume.

August 28, 2018, 02:06:29 PM
Reply #4

Lxxx

A grain of truth with a slice of sour grapes because he couldnt cut it.

August 28, 2018, 05:09:16 PM
Reply #5

MmmblueBernard

Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

August 28, 2018, 05:46:33 PM
Reply #6

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Didn't object to a good chunk of it being thrown his way I assume.

Whats he supposed to do, turn the money down?

August 28, 2018, 05:54:19 PM
Reply #7

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Considering we were all a bit worried that we bought so many 'number 10s' last year, Klaassen does kind of have a point i thought we could all agree with here. (if you look past the sensationalist headline)

August 28, 2018, 06:20:03 PM
Reply #8

Bluedylan

Completely agree, Davy. Hope it works out at Bremen for you.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

August 28, 2018, 08:28:31 PM
Reply #9

plumber

Yes, he's right.  It's silly to throw such amounts of money for average players like Klaassen.

August 28, 2018, 09:33:53 PM
Reply #10

Toddacelli

Exactly - he was offered a chance to try himself in a better league, going for better honours and bettering his cv - all with a shedload more cash thrown in. Can't fault him for backing himself and having a go.

I know people didn't really rate him much on here at times - but I don't think he wasn't trying - it was more of a case that the game just seemed to pass him by.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

August 28, 2018, 09:43:05 PM
Reply #11

Major Clanger

Of course not.

But later he might acknowledge the fact that he had been blinded by the money. No dramatic change happened in English football while he was here, everything he talks about had been well-known before he signed to us.
I didn't even remember I had a signature.

August 28, 2018, 10:07:52 PM
Reply #12

Evertonian in NC

Of course not.

But later he might acknowledge the fact that he had been blinded by the money. No dramatic change happened in English football while he was here, everything he talks about had been well-known before he signed to us.

Right, acknowledge that he was a participant in the system, rather that innocent bystander/victim.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

August 28, 2018, 10:14:28 PM
Reply #13

everton1952

With hindsight his big mistake was  to leave his comfort zone and try the wicked world outside Ajax. He failed miserably,  got paid handsomely for failing and has now emerged elsewhere to try his luck again. Good riddance from our point of view, and a massive miscalculation by whoever was responsible at Everton.

August 28, 2018, 10:21:43 PM
Reply #14

Old England Toffee

I blame his failure on his lack of pace, height, skill and acceptance that he's going bald