August 20, 2019, 06:40:04 PM

Author Topic: Everton v Huddersfield  (Read 11008 times)

August 31, 2018, 11:37:23 PM
Read 11008 times

bluenuck

Lots out for this one.

Gonna be tough

September 02, 2018, 02:57:45 AM
Reply #1

bluenuck

Disappointing but not particularly surprising. Without Richarlison we look toothless, without him and Walcott we look exactly as we did a year ago.

Sigurdsson rolling back the clock to his anonymous beginnings an all. A number ten that we canít get the ball to is like a Ferrari with no steering wheel.

It's all this. Richarlison and Walcott are our game changers. Walcott was giving it a good go up until he hurt himself and then when he went off we could really see how mediocre we actually are.

Not having Richarlison for these two games is a killer. He would terrorize teams like this.

I fear another draw in 2 weeks and - I said it in the season prediction thread as well - a looooooong season of plodding along point by point like we are right now. Gonna have to tough it out.

September 02, 2018, 04:15:30 AM
Reply #2

bluenuck

So one assumes they would not object to a separate thread.

How do you think we played?

September 02, 2018, 04:49:31 AM
Reply #3

bluenuck

Not particularly well to be honest. Although I thought we failed to take advantage of a Wolves side suffering stage fright, were lucky not to concede more against a one dimension Southampton side and should have been able to defend a two goal lead with less than ten minutes to go against Bournemouth. So I maybe less surprised than most.

I'm not surprised to be honest. Predicted a loss actually in the prediction thread. Lol. I think we're in for another cant get off the runway type season. Can only hope for slow signs of improvement and improved style of play, then another good summer.

Slowly by surely.

September 02, 2018, 12:22:05 PM
Reply #4

bluenuck

Come on lads.  Stay away from the bleach until after we've seen the team at fulm strength.  We're still unbeaten with predominently last seasons players, and have conceded 90% of our goals from set pieces.  Its not like someone we'd hope to beat has steamrollered us.

We've hung on to grab a point against Huddersfield at home, and Bournemouth when we were up 2 with 15 to go.

I'd say that's 4 points dropped fairly easily. Just thrown away.

That's my only gripe so far and I don't see it as being a bad one. Those are 4 points we should have right now. No excuses.

September 02, 2018, 01:33:41 PM
Reply #5

bluenuck

One thing that people have to remember is that if weíre going to finish 7th (realistically weíre unlikely to be better than that) with about 60-65 points, and 65 would be a v good season for us (only done 65+ twice in PL I think and from where we were 3 of last 4 seasons) then you have performances and results like this, or the two away games, quite a lot.

In terms of overall mood and such thatís what people need to balance.

If youíre only finishing 7th then you generally get 7th performances on average.

Really?

You're going to justify the dropped points like this?

At this pace we'll be lucky to finish 7th.

September 02, 2018, 02:18:26 PM
Reply #6

bluenuck

6pts from 4 games is pretty much bang on the pace that will get you 7th.

You have no way of including extenuating circumstances in your view of results, do you?

Do you really think a point away to a newly promoted team in their first home game with 10 men, a point away to a team with form for comebacks when we also played 60 minutes with 10 men, and a point at home when decimated by injuries isn't progress? We should have had penalties in both the last two games too.

Last season we'd have lost all 3 of the drawn games.

Nsno

I'm sorry if I expect more from Huddersfield at home, and being up 2 with 15 to go against bournemouth
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 02:24:05 PM by bluenuck »

September 02, 2018, 03:25:51 PM
Reply #7

bluenuck

That's the point though, we are kindly to pick up this pace. We've got Richarlison to come back in, Gomes to get a game, Digne to settle and Bernard to hopefully add an exciting option. That's without even thinking about Mina as an extra defensive option. The likelihood is we will improve quite a lot in the coming months and aside from yesterday we have looked better than last season when we finished eighth.

This isn't even a discussion for me. No excuses. Bournmouth and Huddersfield were 3 points each. We blew it.

We look better, it's going to take time. I get it. But those were dropped points. No excuses. We fucked it up.

September 02, 2018, 10:45:01 PM
Reply #8

bluenuck

we were handed a very fortuitous opening few games, and we havenít really made the most of it.

We look quite average, although with better attacking options than last year, and are shipping goals at a concerning rate.

Jury is out on any new player who hasnít played significant minutes at this level, so thereís no guarantee one of them is going to step in and take us up a level.

However, very happy with Richarlison and Zouma looks good.

The lack of a good CM, back up for Coleman (or you know..), goals up top, and no natural replacement for Theo who is very injury prone are all issues, but I think generally we are going to be fine.

65 points still very much on the table, but I would like to see some significant improvement in how many chances we are allowing and how many chances we are creating.

I think creating we will be fine, especially when we're healthy. I thought we actually looked creative against Huddersfield.

Chances allowed are a big problem. Same as no killer CM. I  think the two somewhat go hand in hand though.

Can't stand dropping points. It just pisses me off. I should probably avoid this site after we do.