October 19, 2019, 09:24:50 PM

Author Topic: 2018-19 International Blues I  (Read 19012 times)

September 12, 2018, 01:51:35 AM
Read 19012 times

Outworlder47

Scotland U21s now level second on points in their group, but behind on goal differential to Ukraine, with two matches remaining. The two sides do play in the October window, as well as Scotland/England (who are group leaders).

Scotland and Ukraine aren't terribly well situated to qualify for the U21 Euros with a second-place group finish, so their match in the Ukraine will be critical next month.

September 12, 2018, 10:22:01 AM
Reply #1

Outworlder47

Richarlison drew a PK (Neymar converted, so he gets an assist, I think), then scored a couple of neat first-time finishes for his first 2 international goals. Started in the middle of an attacking trio as essentially the #9. Yes, El Salvador is not good, but it's a very encouraging performance.

October 12, 2018, 02:36:41 AM
Reply #3

Outworlder47

Lookman assist to Calvert-Lewin with a ball from the endline for England's third.

October 12, 2018, 03:13:31 AM
Reply #4

Outworlder47

4-0 Dom pen, that's how to take one
Won the penalty and converted it. No nonsense, one step to plant and smash it into the top left corner.

November 16, 2018, 01:07:24 AM
Reply #5

Outworlder47

Pickford and Keane both start against USA.

November 16, 2018, 03:10:52 AM
Reply #6

Outworlder47

lets just hope everyone comes out unscathed

Pickford off at the break in a planned substitution. Alex McCarthy gets his first cap.

Keane got done by Pulisic right before England's first, but it's not like he's the only CB that's ever happened to. (As an aside, Pulisic would look amazing on our right flank.) The shot was right into Pickford, a decent save in the end as he came out to meet it.

November 21, 2018, 02:33:43 AM
Reply #7

Outworlder47

Richarlison doesn't start against Cameroon, but comes on less than 10 minutes in as Neymar is injured.

...Then makes a lovely diagonal run across the box on a corner kick just before halftime and sends a fantastic header past the keeper at the near post!

March 23, 2019, 03:26:48 AM
Reply #8

Outworlder47

Tosun with the assist for Turkey's opener in Albania. Turkish press caught the central defender in possession, Tosun played the one-two with Yilmaz.

March 23, 2019, 10:45:27 PM
Reply #9

Outworlder47

I'm Sure if he was signed by any one else - he'd have a work permit by now

Doing a bit of accounting here.

As Nigeria are currently somewhere around 45th in the world, Onyekuru would have to have played in 75% of Nigeria's competitive fixtures in the last two years, for which he was available for selection. Let's see what those are:
2017 WC qualifiers - appeared in 1, not in squad for 3
2018 World Cup - not in squad for 3. Note that, while he was back in training following a bad knee injury, he had not appeared for Anderlecht and was not deemed ready for inclusion in Nigeria's squad. There could be some argument about whether he was truly "available for selection" for Nigeria here.
2018 AFCON qualifiers - appeared in 4 of 4 (he was a sub for the last few minutes in each, but they all count)
2019 AFCON qualifiers - played the full 90 and scored yesterday

We figure that the World Cup matches counted against him since he wasn't granted a work permit this past summer (being 21 this summer, only the last year of matches was looked at, so he would have only appeared in 1/7). So that's 6 of 12 matches now, or 50%. Africa Cup of Nations is this summer prior to the registration deadline, so that's a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 7 more matches. Even if Nigeria reaches the final (or third-place match), 13/19 is still just 68%, and Nigeria are a stretch to climb to 30th ranking so that the cutoff is 60%. If they do, they've likely won the tournament, so 6 appearances from 7 would do it.

So we go to points. Category A would give him likely give 2 points for wages in the top half of PL earners, plus 1 point for CL group stage participation. That's less than 4, so on to Category B. I'm guessing the transfer fee (7M or so) is probably in the 25-50th percentile, so 1 point. Turkey is a secondary league, so 1 point. Plus another 1 point if Nigeria reaches the AFCON semifinals. That gives him 5, perhaps 6 points, which is sufficient for consideration by the panel.

I would figure he'll qualify for a work permit this summer, especially if Nigeria performs well. If I'm wrong about the WC matches counting against him, then he'll qualify automatically so long as he plays in all the matches at AFCON.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 10:48:08 PM by Outworlder47 »

March 24, 2019, 03:06:06 AM
Reply #10

Outworlder47

That's what I'm thinking, he's not even that prolific for his club. Think he's a lot better on paper and computer games than reality

11 in 24 in the domestic league isn't prolific? Granted, no goals in Europe for Galatasaray, but the whole team only scored 6 in 8 matches.

And he just opened his account for Nigeria on his first start, nice close header from a back-post run.

March 26, 2019, 02:18:16 AM
Reply #11

Outworlder47

Keane with the equalizer for England.