October 18, 2019, 08:45:42 PM

Author Topic: 2018-19 International Blues I  (Read 18991 times)

March 22, 2019, 05:50:10 PM
Reply #180

Waltzer

All aboard the play Dowell DM train.

I was surprised when I saw him play there but he played really well and kept the shape, it was also strange as it was an Everton player not deemed good enough for our squad that was keeping out an Everton player who has actually been our captain this year! I know it was only a friendly, but if you were a neutral there is only one player out of the two you'd want in the squad, and it isnt Davies.

March 22, 2019, 06:46:06 PM
Reply #181

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
All aboard the play Dowell DM train.

Paul Riley flagged him last year as a stylistically similar passer of the ball to Kevin De Bruyne (plays similar types of passes from similar positions).

Pep uses de Bruyne deeper sometimes doesn't he.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

March 22, 2019, 07:00:06 PM
Reply #182

Toddacelli

I was surprised when I saw him play there but he played really well and kept the shape, it was also strange as it was an Everton player not deemed good enough for our squad that was keeping out an Everton player who has actually been our captain this year! I know it was only a friendly, but if you were a neutral there is only one player out of the two you'd want in the squad, and it isnt Davies.

Wish I'd seen it.

Does anyone know if games like this are available to stream after the fact from anywhere?

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

March 22, 2019, 09:54:21 PM
Reply #183

kramer0

Even as an overmatched 17-year-old against Krasnodar, you could see that Dowell had the game mapped.

He's a massive prospect that often goes unappreciated because he isn't big, fast, or flashy technically. I don't care how languid or weak he looks at times, you can't buy players with the sort of footballing brain Dowell has. I think he should have been appearing regularly for us this season.

He needs regular games here soon (and it doesn't have to be him or Davies, there's room for both).

March 22, 2019, 10:57:53 PM
Reply #184

Lxxx

Even as an overmatched 17-year-old against Krasnodar, you could see that Dowell had the game mapped.

He's a massive prospect that often goes unappreciated because he isn't big, fast, or flashy technically. I don't care how languid or weak he looks at times, you can't buy players with the sort of footballing brain Dowell has. I think he should have been appearing regularly for us this season.

He needs regular games here soon (and it doesn't have to be him or Davies, there's room for both).

He'll pretty soon get hit with similar kind of criticism that is levelled at Ozil.

March 23, 2019, 01:06:13 AM
Reply #185

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
Keane starts tonight.
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos lá Everton!

March 23, 2019, 02:22:50 AM
Reply #186

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
Knives definately out for Pickford, commentator and Hoddle on his back for no reason, makes a great pass to Dier and Hoddle says “too long for a straight pass”

March 23, 2019, 03:26:48 AM
Reply #187

Outworlder47

Tosun with the assist for Turkey's opener in Albania. Turkish press caught the central defender in possession, Tosun played the one-two with Yilmaz.

March 23, 2019, 05:51:40 AM
Reply #188

WeimaranerBlues

Digne injured - Hamstring in Training ,  not sure if already mentioned

March 23, 2019, 06:24:43 AM
Reply #189

irishtoffee

Henry onyekuru scored for Nigeria tonight

March 23, 2019, 07:55:22 AM
Reply #190

WeimaranerBlues

Henry onyekuru scored for Nigeria tonight

I'm Sure if he was signed by any one else - he'd have a work permit by now

March 23, 2019, 03:30:36 PM
Reply #191

boothill

Gareth southgate, im starting to really like him. He seems his own man, strong minded and not media led. Most would have probably dropped pickford, and keane probably wouldnt have got a look in. But he plays them and they give him a good solid performance. Well done that man

Sent from my POT-LX1 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

March 23, 2019, 10:45:27 PM
Reply #192

Outworlder47

I'm Sure if he was signed by any one else - he'd have a work permit by now

Doing a bit of accounting here.

As Nigeria are currently somewhere around 45th in the world, Onyekuru would have to have played in 75% of Nigeria's competitive fixtures in the last two years, for which he was available for selection. Let's see what those are:
2017 WC qualifiers - appeared in 1, not in squad for 3
2018 World Cup - not in squad for 3. Note that, while he was back in training following a bad knee injury, he had not appeared for Anderlecht and was not deemed ready for inclusion in Nigeria's squad. There could be some argument about whether he was truly "available for selection" for Nigeria here.
2018 AFCON qualifiers - appeared in 4 of 4 (he was a sub for the last few minutes in each, but they all count)
2019 AFCON qualifiers - played the full 90 and scored yesterday

We figure that the World Cup matches counted against him since he wasn't granted a work permit this past summer (being 21 this summer, only the last year of matches was looked at, so he would have only appeared in 1/7). So that's 6 of 12 matches now, or 50%. Africa Cup of Nations is this summer prior to the registration deadline, so that's a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 7 more matches. Even if Nigeria reaches the final (or third-place match), 13/19 is still just 68%, and Nigeria are a stretch to climb to 30th ranking so that the cutoff is 60%. If they do, they've likely won the tournament, so 6 appearances from 7 would do it.

So we go to points. Category A would give him likely give 2 points for wages in the top half of PL earners, plus 1 point for CL group stage participation. That's less than 4, so on to Category B. I'm guessing the transfer fee (7M or so) is probably in the 25-50th percentile, so 1 point. Turkey is a secondary league, so 1 point. Plus another 1 point if Nigeria reaches the AFCON semifinals. That gives him 5, perhaps 6 points, which is sufficient for consideration by the panel.

I would figure he'll qualify for a work permit this summer, especially if Nigeria performs well. If I'm wrong about the WC matches counting against him, then he'll qualify automatically so long as he plays in all the matches at AFCON.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 10:48:08 PM by Outworlder47 »

March 24, 2019, 12:31:04 AM
Reply #193

Simon Paul

Administrator

As Nigeria are currently somewhere around 45th in the world, Onyekuru would have to have played in 75% of Nigeria's competitive fixtures in the last two years, for which he was available for selection. Let's see what those are:
2018 World Cup - not in squad for 3. Note that, while he was back in training following a bad knee injury, he had not appeared for Anderlecht and was not deemed ready for inclusion in Nigeria's squad. There could be some argument about whether he was truly "available for selection" for Nigeria here.
2018 AFCON qualifiers - appeared in 4 of 4 (he was a sub for the last few minutes in each, but they all count)

We figure that the World Cup matches counted against him since he wasn't granted a work permit this past summer (being 21 this summer, only the last year of matches was looked at, so he would have only appeared in 1/7). So that's 6 of 12 matches now, or 50%. Africa Cup of Nations is this summer prior to the registration deadline, so that's a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 7 more matches. Even if Nigeria reaches the final (or third-place match), 13/19 is still just 68%, and Nigeria are a stretch to climb to 30th ranking so that the cutoff is 60%. If they do, they've likely won the tournament, so 6 appearances from 7 would do it.

So we go to points. Category A would give him likely give 2 points for wages in the top half of PL earners, plus 1 point for CL group stage participation. That's less than 4, so on to Category B. I'm guessing the transfer fee (7M or so) is probably in the 25-50th percentile, so 1 point. Turkey is a secondary league, so 1 point. Plus another 1 point if Nigeria reaches the AFCON semifinals. That gives him 5, perhaps 6 points, which is sufficient for consideration by the panel.

I would figure he'll qualify for a work permit this summer, especially if Nigeria performs well. If I'm wrong about the WC matches counting against him, then he'll qualify automatically so long as he plays in all the matches at AFCON.
Awesome work

March 24, 2019, 01:06:09 AM
Reply #194

Dr. Sponge

Nice.

But is he even any good if he can’t get good game time for Nigeria?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk