November 21, 2018, 06:33:29 PM

Poll

Who do you want to see starting upfront for the next few games?

Tosun
38 (37.3%)
DCL
12 (11.8%)
Niasse
0 (0%)
Richarlison
43 (42.2%)
Walcott
5 (4.9%)
Other
4 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 102

Author Topic: Main Striker - Lets have a poll  (Read 4976 times)

September 25, 2018, 01:31:25 AM
Reply #60

Gash

Global Moderator
Forwards bottle good chances all the time. The best finishers in the world only finish about 25% of their shots and not all of those misses are coming under pressure or from range.

Better to let the guy who gets into good positions play through his failures.

I know he's not always been played up front but a league goal every 400 odd minutes for us would suggest he's either not getting into good positions or not very good at finishing when he does. For an attacking player, either playing wide or through the middle that's not a great return.

September 25, 2018, 03:15:06 AM
Reply #61

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
Much worse players than DCL have had premier league careers.

Name one within a top six club.

September 25, 2018, 03:16:31 AM
Reply #62

KoemansNumberTens

Name one within a top six club.

Even name 1 who is actually considered to be decent rather than ďI canít believe heís had a career in this leagueĒ

September 25, 2018, 03:28:39 AM
Reply #63

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Heís a fucking kid who has played 75 minutes up front for Everton football club this year.

Against arsenal.

Away.

Where we havenít won since some of us were still in ball bags.

Give. Him. Some. Time. Please.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

September 25, 2018, 03:33:40 AM
Reply #64

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Haha was only pointing out that much worse players have had a career in the premier league. No need for the added stipulations.

Shane Long for example.

He may not make it at Everton, although I still think itís too soon to write him off, but he will have a career in the premier league.

September 25, 2018, 03:49:55 AM
Reply #65

Waltzer

He's a fucking kid who has played 75 minutes up front for Everton football club this year.

Against arsenal.

Away.

Where we haven't won since some of us were still in ball bags.

Give. Him. Some. Time. Please.
He's 21, throwing this kid thing around is a cheap way of getting sympathy for him. He's been around the club for a while and is in his 3rd season with us.  Admittedly he hasn't always been played in his best position (although I'm unsure what that is as he's never scored goals,  anywhere!!), so when is this improvement going to materialise,  22, 23, 24, when do we say enough is enough, after 48 games with only 6 goals or more?
I've said it before that I feel for him as he shouldn't be put in the position he is as he's not good enough,  but our piss poor recruitment over the last few years has forced him into a place he shouldn't be.

September 25, 2018, 03:56:10 AM
Reply #66

Bluedylan

He's 21, throwing this kid thing around is a cheap way of getting sympathy for him. He's been around the club for a while and is in his 3rd season with us.  Admittedly he hasn't always been played in his best position (although I'm unsure what that is as he's never scored goals,  anywhere!!), so when is this improvement going to materialise,  22, 23, 24, when do we say enough is enough, after 48 games with only 6 goals or more?
I've said it before that I feel for him as he shouldn't be put in the position he is as he's not good enough,  but our piss poor recruitment over the last few years has forced him into a place he shouldn't be.

I think ultimately the disconnect comes from one basic thing - some people rate him, think he has all the clear attributes to develop into a complete striker and want to give him time, and others just don't particularly see it and think he's fairly average. Which is fair enough, on both parts.

I think he has loads of potential, but I can see why some are unimpressed and I don't think the evidence is massively weighted either way, so both views are fairly reasonable.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

September 25, 2018, 03:56:53 AM
Reply #67

Ross

The average age a player makes their premier leagues debut is 24, heís been way ahead of that and doing okay while playing in a variety of unfamiliar positions. Heís worth persevering with and given a run in his natural position before we write him off surely?
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

September 25, 2018, 04:02:19 AM
Reply #68

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
I donít think heís ever going to be a goalscorer. At best he might hit 1 in 3 levels every now and then.

Itís his other attributes that make me think he can become a very good player.

Touch, technique, pace, power, itís all there and heís showed massive improvement from the player that first come into the team around two years ago.

September 25, 2018, 04:03:06 AM
Reply #69

Waltzer

The average age a player makes their premier leagues debut is 24, he's been way ahead of that and doing okay while playing in a variety of unfamiliar positions. He's worth persevering with and given a run in his natural position before we write him off surely?
Maybe,  but I think its more our failing that we're so reliant on him as at the moment hes not good enough. I don't think there is 1 club in the premiership that would swap their regular number 9 for him.
Also,  even in his 'natural position' is there any evidence to substantiate the fact that his current record isn't the norm, rather than a blip? At least with Tosun there is something that makes you think he could go on a run

September 25, 2018, 04:08:19 AM
Reply #70

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Maybe,  but I think its more our failing that we're so reliant on him as at the moment hes not good enough. I don't think there is 1 club in the premiership that would swap their regular number 9 for him.
Also,  even in his 'natural position' is there any evidence to substantiate the fact that his current record isn't the norm, rather than a blip? At least with Tosun there is something that makes you think he could go on a run

But where was Tosun when he was 21 years old?

September 25, 2018, 04:12:15 AM
Reply #71

Waltzer

But where was Tosun when he was 21 years old?
By the looks of it around that age he was at Gaziantepspor,  from 21 to 24 he played 109 games and scored 39 goals,  Germany under 18s scored 6 in 8 games,  under 19s 6 in 8 games and 1 in 2 for the under 21s

September 25, 2018, 04:13:23 AM
Reply #72

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

After more than 75 minutes mate, thatís when the development occurs.

He wasnít even that bad, people have just got their minds made up. Huge shock there of course.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

September 25, 2018, 04:17:28 AM
Reply #73

Waltzer

After more than 75 minutes mate, that's when the development occurs.

He wasn't even that bad, people have just got their minds made up. Huge shock there of course.
Honestly id be made up if he went on to set the world on fire as we desperately need someone and would be pleased to hold my hands up and say I got it wrong.

September 25, 2018, 04:22:53 AM
Reply #74

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Honestly id be made up if he went on to set the world on fire as we desperately need someone and would be pleased to hold my hands up and say I got it wrong.

I donít think he will do that to be honest.

But like you say - we are in the situation we are in for at least another 3 months.

We can either continue to waste minutes on Tosun, or we can play the U23 World Cup winner and see what heís got, because being absolutely impartial - the only thing Tosun has over him was the goals he was plucking out of nowhere, and theyíve dried up.

I donít think heís going to be world class, but Iím fairly sure Tosun isnít, so you have to play the lad who has space to grow, especially if he isnít doing any worse than the one who hasnít.