September 15, 2019, 05:23:51 PM

Author Topic: Gana Get Replaced?  (Read 12693 times)

January 15, 2019, 10:15:12 PM
Reply #165

D15TIN

................there's a programme on Sky showing his greatest goals ,mostly for Everton.  Some games he won single handed especially when he had dreadlocks it seems. Fantastic player in those days ,now seems to have gone off the boil.
Everton showed his goals against Bournemouth, some boss finishes in that game, 1 in the first minute aswell

January 15, 2019, 10:21:36 PM
Reply #166

American Evertonian

Yes fair point. I agree that we don't need to sell to buy. Having said that, we do have a responsibility to be a little more financially prudent than the last few seasons, if we're going to be sustainable and successful. Part of that is selling people aged 29, when you get large, profitable bids. He's a very good player with notable limitations. He's replaceable and we need to rebuild the midfield. This season is very much a transition, flux season, so it might be the right time to sell and maximise value.

I'd also put the feelers out to see if anyone wants to pay £25-30m for Gylfi, and just start the entire midfield from scratch.

All valid points and I agree with them. Think we need to make Gomes an Everton player and then build the midfield around him. Think Gylfi and Gana don't form a balanced midfield when combined with Gomes.
Are we there yet?

January 15, 2019, 10:29:01 PM
Reply #167

Bluedylan

The funny thing with Rom is that a lot of people spent his entire Everton career moaning at him/about him for not being better, rather than just accepting his limitations and being glad we had him, for his strengths.

Eventually we need to start to take a look at ourselves as a club and a fanbase, and wonder if there might be summat wrong with us. We slag our best players off for not being better than they are, we get on young players' backs, we get on managers backs very quickly.

I realise people might not like those sorts of comments, and the fact that I don't live in the city anymore, or go to the game every week undermines the points I'm making for some people. But still, taking my personal situation out of it, is it true?
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

January 15, 2019, 10:43:54 PM
Reply #168

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Our fanbase is weird

The best shouts are player [xyz] is shit. We shouldn't be selling them for less than [insert huge fee].

January 15, 2019, 10:45:39 PM
Reply #169

Macca77

The funny thing with Rom is that a lot of people spent his entire Everton career moaning at him/about him for not being better, rather than just accepting his limitations and being glad we had him, for his strengths.

Eventually we need to start to take a look at ourselves as a club and a fanbase, and wonder if there might be summat wrong with us. We slag our best players off for not being better than they are, we get on young players' backs, we get on managers backs very quickly.

I realise people might not like those sorts of comments, and the fact that I don't live in the city anymore, or go to the game every week undermines the points I'm making for some people. But still, taking my personal situation out of it, is it true?

Spot on

January 15, 2019, 10:47:26 PM
Reply #170

gizzblue

Imho ...still don't understand the Gylfi shouts ...tbh hes the most prolific midfielder by a country mile will finish on double figures again...when was the last midfielder to do this in our shirt . ..yet still getting shit weekly for not being better .

Our fans are a shambles at times .
Born not made a blue .

January 15, 2019, 10:58:45 PM
Reply #171

van der Meyde

Imho ...still don't understand the Gylfi shouts ...tbh hes the most prolific midfielder by a country mile will finish on double figures again...when was the last midfielder to do this in our shirt . ..yet still getting shit weekly for not being better .

He hasn't been playing as a midfielder though.

January 15, 2019, 11:01:44 PM
Reply #172

Elgoodo1978

😭 absolute tragedy he finished when he did. Probably my second favourite ever Everton player

Was gutted too mate, often wonder what could have been with us.  I thought he was that good.  Same for Norman Whiteside, didn't see him as much though, I was proper young then.

I Genuinely think Gana is the best we've had in that sort of position since him

January 15, 2019, 11:06:11 PM
Reply #173

kramer0

Most of that criticism is for not actually playing like a midfielder.

He spends a lot of time chasing the ball high up the pitch, doesn't show for the ball much in possession, and doesn't play many passes. All of this while our midfield is terrible and doesn't control games.

He ultimately plays more like a forward and getting into double figures (aided by penalties) is a pretty meh return for a forward. Hence, why so many of us talk about him like he's a meh player.

January 16, 2019, 12:09:16 AM
Reply #174

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Cahill didn't play like a midfielder either. Neither did Kanchelskis, goalscorers don't as a rule

January 16, 2019, 12:12:00 AM
Reply #175

Toffee_4_Life

Cahill didn't play like a midfielder either. Neither did Kanchelskis, goalscorers don't as a rule

Cahill was the furthest forward of a 5 man midfield which catered for that advances midfield role.

Siggy is playing that far forward in a midfield 3 which doesn't allow for it and leaves us with 2 in the middle of the park.

I really rate Siggy but how we're playing right now doesn't suit the personnel we have and it's showing in the results.

January 16, 2019, 12:16:10 AM
Reply #176

eugene

Don’t forget inchy mate lovely little player

January 16, 2019, 12:16:18 AM
Reply #177

gizzblue

He hasn't been playing as a midfielder though.

And I for one am glad ...someone is actually getting forward scoring goals ....pretty sure that's where he's being told to play ...certainly not as an out and out forward, in fact a typical AMC ...it's not Gylfi's fault nobody else is contributing assists and goals from the further midfield .
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 12:17:45 AM by gizzblue »
Born not made a blue .

January 16, 2019, 12:19:58 AM
Reply #178

gizzblue

Most of that criticism is for not actually playing like a midfielder.

He spends a lot of time chasing the ball high up the pitch, doesn't show for the ball much in possession, and doesn't play many passes. All of this while our midfield is terrible and doesn't control games.

He ultimately plays more like a forward and getting into double figures (aided by penalties) is a pretty meh return for a forward. Hence, why so many of us talk about him like he's a meh player.

For a meh (best attacking mid since fuck knows when )player we would be fucked without his contribution this year .

Also thanks for proving my earlier point . :thumbsup:
Born not made a blue .

January 16, 2019, 12:27:00 AM
Reply #179

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
For a meh (best attacking mid since fuck knows when )player we would be fucked without his contribution this year .

Also thanks for proving my earlier point . :thumbsup:

You can see the argument that having a midfielder who goalhangs is sound when he gets you 10 a year, but unfortunately leaves important gaps elsewhere, can’t you?

It’s not a case of take them 10 goals out and we’d drop positions is it, that’s what we all slagged Steve Walsh off for when he said ‘without Lukakus goals we’d be in the same place’ - it doesn’t work like that.

A team is the sum of its parts and as incredibly talented Gylfi Sigurdsson is, he apparently has to be carried tactically and that’s causing us problems.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.