October 20, 2019, 11:39:56 PM

Author Topic: Gana Get Replaced?  (Read 13176 times)

January 16, 2019, 12:49:02 AM
Reply #180

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
For a meh (best attacking mid since fuck knows when )player we would be fucked without his contribution this year .

Also thanks for proving my earlier point . :thumbsup:

It’s his lack of contribution elsewhere that’s hindering us though.

Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

January 16, 2019, 01:04:54 AM
Reply #181

kramer0

Cahill isn't even a fair comparison because he won headers and harassed defenders in a way that actually earned the team possession in final third.

I know Sigurdsson works his socks off without the ball but it doesn't do much for us the way he's currently being deployed because he rarely wins anything high up the pitch. When you factor in the lack of touches, he's basically a passenger who contributes the odd great goal or through ball. He either has to play deeper where we can use his work rate to greater defensive effect or he needs to be dropped. We can't keep carrying him in his current role while opponents walk through our midfield and create numerical advantages against our back line every week.

Also, six open play goals really isn't that hard to replace. I bet Lookman would get that many given 1800 minutes.

January 16, 2019, 01:10:33 AM
Reply #182

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Lookman, now we’re talking.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 16, 2019, 01:27:41 AM
Reply #183

gizzblue

It’s his lack of contribution elsewhere that’s hindering us though.

So how exactly is he hindering us....would Davies get anywhere near him for output ?...if not who else .

I'm not saying he is a world beater by any means but he is all we have in that mould and a double figure output (by the end of the season)albeit with 2pens will be better than we had for years from the midfield .
Born not made a blue .

January 16, 2019, 01:49:50 AM
Reply #184

kramer0

Football doesn't work like that, adding and subtracting goals scored by individual players. Individual stats help us learn about players but success is still contextual.

Obviously, there's no way Davies would score as much as Sigurdsson. But here are some things he can help with:

- Preventing the opposition from cutting through us at will. Davies is useful defensively and with a better defense, we don't need to score as much to win.
- Providing our defenders and midfielders with another option in possession so that opponents can't take Gomes out of the game and put all of the heavy lifting on Gana, the CBs, and the fullbacks (like they have been since December). Davies is one of the best in the squad at moving without the ball and making himself available to his teammates.
- Forcing the team to play a little deeper, giving the front three more space to work. Imagine how much more effective the likes of Richarlison, Bernard, Lookman, and Walcott would be if they weren't facing packed defenses all the time. Here's where you recover those "lost" goals.

Nobody can say for sure if all of those things would happen but it would be a worthwhile experiment, at least.

Silva's spent the last month tinkering around the midfield -- mixing up the attack, mixing up the defense, adding a defender, subtracting that defender, mixing up the attack again. It's time for him to try something to get a grip in the middle of the park.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 02:11:20 AM by kramer0 »

January 16, 2019, 02:21:00 AM
Reply #185

Jamokachi

January 16, 2019, 02:35:57 AM
Reply #186

plumber

Our fanbase is the same as other fanbases.

January 16, 2019, 02:37:48 AM
Reply #187

Jamokachi

Apart from starved of success, which does breed narks.

January 16, 2019, 02:39:06 AM
Reply #188

Alanvideo

..................with one exception  :evil:
We are special ,we are Everton.

January 16, 2019, 03:14:42 AM
Reply #189

cantoffee

Cahill isn't even a fair comparison because he won headers and harassed defenders in a way that actually earned the team possession in final third.

I know Sigurdsson works his socks off without the ball but it doesn't do much for us the way he's currently being deployed because he rarely wins anything high up the pitch. When you factor in the lack of touches, he's basically a passenger who contributes the odd great goal or through ball. He either has to play deeper where we can use his work rate to greater defensive effect or he needs to be dropped. We can't keep carrying him in his current role while opponents walk through our midfield and create numerical advantages against our back line every week.

Also, six open play goals really isn't that hard to replace. I bet Lookman would get that many given 1800 minutes.
Agreed re: closing down.

Would argue that Cahill's link up play and combinations are far superior to Sig's as well.

Sigurdsson's biggest asset is that he can score from anywhere within 30 yards basically consistently as anyone. This means he must be closed down and opens teams up a bit.

However, he is really not good enough at moving towards the ball and providing quick link up with the midfield get us further forward and create angles that allow for through balls.

Cahill, for all his limitations moved to the ball and played it on quickly. He had a good understanding of where his teammates where/where going and got them involved.

Perhaps being a limited player meant that he knew he had to bring the ball in and keep it moving.

We certainly lack midfield presence and are lucky that Gana covers so much ground. Think Silva will need to rework the midfield this summer to improve the balance.

Sent from my SM-G950W using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

January 16, 2019, 04:59:37 PM
Reply #190

gizzblue

Football doesn't work like that, adding and subtracting goals scored by individual players. Individual stats help us learn about players but success is still contextual.

Obviously, there's no way Davies would score as much as Sigurdsson. But here are some things he can help with:

- Preventing the opposition from cutting through us at will. Davies is useful defensively and with a better defense, we don't need to score as much to win.
- Providing our defenders and midfielders with another option in possession so that opponents can't take Gomes out of the game and put all of the heavy lifting on Gana, the CBs, and the fullbacks (like they have been since December). Davies is one of the best in the squad at moving without the ball and making himself available to his teammates.
- Forcing the team to play a little deeper, giving the front three more space to work. Imagine how much more effective the likes of Richarlison, Bernard, Lookman, and Walcott would be if they weren't facing packed defenses all the time. Here's where you recover those "lost" goals.

Nobody can say for sure if all of those things would happen but it would be a worthwhile experiment, at least.

Silva's spent the last month tinkering around the midfield -- mixing up the attack, mixing up the defense, adding a defender, subtracting that defender, mixing up the attack again. It's time for him to try something to get a grip in the middle of the park.

Your basing this on a player who ,when he has played this year has failed to nail a place down in the squad on a regular basis or even do half the things your asking for .....he was dubbed against Lincoln at half time because we were being over run by a league two side .

I agree with your premis just don't agree that Davies is the player to carry that forward in the slightest .
Born not made a blue .

January 16, 2019, 05:02:12 PM
Reply #191

gizzblue

Your basing this on a player who ,when he has played this year has failed to nail a place down in the squad on a regular basis or even do half the things your asking for .....he was dubbed against Lincoln at half time because we were being over run by a league two side .

I agree with your premis in theory just don't agree that Davies is the player to carry that forward in the slightest had done nothing in the past season and a half to say he could in the future  either ....loads calling for him to be loaned ,which I don't agree with either, but only as we have no one else .
Born not made a blue .

January 16, 2019, 05:07:30 PM
Reply #192

Macca77

Has he gone yet then?

January 16, 2019, 05:12:23 PM
Reply #193

sam of the south

Koeman thought it worked that way.

“Productchivitee”
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

January 16, 2019, 10:54:58 PM
Reply #194

everton1952

I don't think anyone is saying Gana is crap at all. Maybe if our team was blessed with a wonderful midfield with attacking players who can score goals, then a "water carrier" like him, even one who often passes to the opposition, would be fine. Obviously he can't be sold without a decent replacement. Some people are intolerant of opinions different from their own.