October 23, 2019, 02:22:17 PM

Author Topic: January transfer window  (Read 57931 times)

January 03, 2019, 06:49:19 PM
Reply #255

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
What has Tammy Abraham shown to suggest he's ready to lead the line at a team with top 6 aspirations?
I'm not saying he's a bad player, and he might turn out great one day, but that's exactly what we have in DCL. Why not go the whole hog and go after Solanke?

Our next striker needs to be someone who can come in and take us up a level. Proven quality and yet with a point to prove (because we're unlikely to attract the very best) - more in the Digne mould than Cenk, let's say.

What has Everton Football Club done to show they have top 6 aspirations?
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 03, 2019, 06:52:43 PM
Reply #256

BlueBeagle

Thrown a load of cash at clubs for wank players lolol

January 03, 2019, 06:59:21 PM
Reply #257

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Thrown a load of cash at clubs for wank players lolol

Exactly.

We need to buy for the future and stop throwing money at 27 year old ‘ready’ players.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 03, 2019, 07:04:15 PM
Reply #258

AllyBlue14

Eh? What else are we aspiring for?

We've had a bad month and need to regroup. End of.

January 03, 2019, 07:07:20 PM
Reply #259

Toddacelli

Beat me to it!

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

January 03, 2019, 07:08:05 PM
Reply #260

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

Stop finishing below 7th would be a start.

We’ve had 5 bad years, we need to realise where we are and build for the future.

I’m all for signing good, high quality players if they have potential upsides or represent a serious step up in quality, but in general I think spending millions and millions on players with not long left before they slide or literally on the slide is unsustainable and truly the road to ruin.

Like I say I’m not married to the idea of Tammy, but the idea of signing young players with lots of potential for relatively cheap appeals to me a great deal.

Then in 3-4 years we might be able to do something instead of this endless cycle of shite followed by stopgaps followed by shite.

January 03, 2019, 07:08:24 PM
Reply #261

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Exactly.

We need to buy for the future and stop throwing money at 27 year old ‘ready’ players.

There is a middle ground though.

We need players who have proven themselves at a good standard.

Players in a 23-26 age bracket with a good back catalogue behind them that suggests they’re ready to perform, whilst having scope to improve.

A signing like Abraham’s takes us nowhere. It’s just signing a young player for decent value for the sake of it .
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

January 03, 2019, 07:08:50 PM
Reply #262

Toddacelli

It's not about 'what' we aspire to - the question was - 'what have we done to show this?'

So far - not very much to convince anyone outside the fanbase that we could or we should break into the top 6 at some point in the near future.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

January 03, 2019, 07:11:39 PM
Reply #263

Mayor Farnum

We've shown ambition. Knowhow is another matter
Something clever written by someone else.

January 03, 2019, 07:11:43 PM
Reply #264

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

Players in a 23-26 age bracket with a good back catalogue behind them that suggests they’re ready to perform, whilst having scope to improve.

A signing like Abraham’s takes us nowhere. It’s just signing a young player for decent value for the sake of it .

Don’t disagree with that, although I do think Abraham and Mitrovic have been judged harshly on this forum but it is what it is.

Edit: thinking about your point - the end game is to adopt Liverpool strategy over the last few years once you are in the position to do it.

Proven stars at smaller teams, proven stars at smaller, good quality leagues, make sure the numbers match the eye, make sure the fit match the managers style, make sure they are all super fucking fit and have impeccable injury records.

But we’re not there yet like.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 07:13:37 PM by brap2 »

January 03, 2019, 07:13:10 PM
Reply #265

AllyBlue14

Exactly - we're not going to get the very top prospects at this stage (or at least it's unlikely), so we're looking at a level below that. You can't pack a squad with young players who may or not make it one day, just because they're young.

We're need Arteta, Digne or Gomes-like signings - players who have showed they have quality but need a new start, and are young enough to still offer a good few years going forward.

No-one wants us to bring in Glenn Murray (or shouldn't do) but equally, bringing in someone like Abraham will just be another sideways step until we discover whether or not he'll make it.

January 03, 2019, 07:13:32 PM
Reply #266

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Don’t disagree with that, although I do think Abraham and Mitrovic have been judged harshly on this forum but it is what it is.

Like them both. Just think we need to set our sights a bit higher for a frontman.
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

January 03, 2019, 07:16:35 PM
Reply #267

Macca77

Abraham is bang average, he's done nothing to suggest otherwise, looked out of his depth when he was at Swansea, the championship is his level

January 03, 2019, 07:21:45 PM
Reply #268

AllyBlue14

It's not about 'what' we aspire to - the question was - 'what have we done to show this?'

So far - not very much to convince anyone outside the fanbase that we could or we should break into the top 6 at some point in the near future.

I chose to ignore the original question because it was stupid.

I don't think you can question our ambition - the board has backed the managers in the transfer window and it's now up to the managers/players to make it work on the pitch. We're clearly more progressive than we have been in recent years, but we still have areas of the first 11 that need addressing. Then after that, we need to build a squad, so we can get through busy fixture schedules as seamlessly as possible.

We're about 4 months into our new regime and before the derby, things were looking pretty rosy. After all the changes over the last 6 months, to say that we haven't shown aspirations to improve on our 8th position last year is ludicrous.

January 03, 2019, 07:23:21 PM
Reply #269

arteta4spain

I think the problem in terms of our ambition is that we're caught in the middle somewhere as we're not an established top six side are we anymore.
We can't attract the top end players and therefore we're having to buy "decent” players and not ones that will elevate us towards top four.
Catch 22 we need to establish ourselves to attract these types of players but we need them in order to do that.
This is where it falls towards Silva and Brands to find hidden gems and sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. Seems like we're always of the later. Spurs were kind of like that before they got Poch in. He's made those players go from decent to near world class players. It's helped them loads having Kane for free but it shows that it's not always down to the players. But it helps.